The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 1:37 AM, Neversummer said:

Holm tougher than MacGregor ... she refused to tap out and just went to lala land.  

Dude... Really?  You think not tapping makes you tough?

Edited by Bocivus

1 hour ago, Bocivus said:

Yes ... 'dude' ... I do, apparently, I'm not the only one.  This is from McGregor himself:

Quoted from - http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/16/8424831/morning-report-ufc-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-ronda-rousey-mma-news

In 2010, McGregor tapped to a first-round arm triangle in a bout against recent UFC signee Joseph Duffy. He hasn't lost since.  According to McGregor, tapping so quickly to the choke remains "one of the great regrets of his life."

"That ate me alive," McGregor said. "After that, I said I was going to fight to the death. You're going to have to kill me."

Edited by Neversummer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neversummer said:

Yes ... 'dude' ... I do, apparently, I'm not the only one.  This is from McGregor himself:

Quoted from - http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/16/8424831/morning-report-ufc-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-ronda-rousey-mma-news

In 2010, McGregor tapped to a first-round arm triangle in a bout against recent UFC signee Joseph Duffy. He hasn't lost since.  According to McGregor, tapping so quickly to the choke remains "one of the great regrets of his life."

"That ate me alive," McGregor said. "After that, I said I was going to fight to the death. You're going to have to kill me."

Go train some Jiu-Jitsu and you'll change your mind.  Tapping is not weakness.  It's smart.  When you're caught in a submission and you know that's the end of the fight there is no shame in tapping.  At the school I train (and any other GOOD school for that matter), not tapping is frowned upon if you get caught and can't manage an escape.

It's actually a ritual in a some schools, specifically Pedro Sauer affiliates, during belt promotion to get choked by your instructor/professor (usually a collar choke) as it's the last time you get submitted as the belt level from which you're progressing and the first time you get submitted as the belt you achieved.  The other thought behind that is if you don't have the sense to tap, you don't have any business being promoted to the next belt.  It's also a ritualistic thing.

Maybe McGregor can go work on his ground game at a legit school and consider changing his mind. 

And the quote references him tapping so QUICKLY.  He didn't try any escape, probably because he's not very adept at escape techniques from an RNC.

3 hours ago, Bocivus said:

Go train some Jiu-Jitsu and you'll change your mind.  Tapping is not weakness.  It's smart.  When you're caught in a submission and you know that's the end of the fight there is no shame in tapping.  At the school I train (and any other GOOD school for that matter), not tapping is frowned upon if you get caught and can't manage an escape.

It's actually a ritual in a some schools, specifically Pedro Sauer affiliates, during belt promotion to get choked by your instructor/professor (usually a collar choke) as it's the last time you get submitted as the belt level from which you're progressing and the first time you get submitted as the belt you achieved.  The other thought behind that is if you don't have the sense to tap, you don't have any business being promoted to the next belt.  It's also a ritualistic thing.

Maybe McGregor can go work on his ground game at a legit school and consider changing his mind. 

And the quote references him tapping so QUICKLY.  He didn't try any escape, probably because he's not very adept at escape techniques from an RNC.

I totally respect your opinion, which incidentally is worth 10x more than mine because I have not tried MMA.  

However, you need to learn to respect other people's opinion on the matter as well, especially if I can find quotes of the man who said it himself.  McGregor (not in so many words, but you can read in between the lines) thought that tapping out was one of his greatest regrets in life and that in future bouts, he will not ever do that again ... but he did.     

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Neversummer said:

I totally respect your opinion, which incidentally is worth 10x more than mine because I have not tried MMA.  

However, you need to learn to respect other people's opinion on the matter as well, especially if I can find quotes of the man who said it himself.  McGregor (not in so many words, but you can read in between the lines) thought that tapping out was one of his greatest regrets in life and that in future bouts, he will not ever do that again ... but he did.     

I respect his and your opinion on it.  I just think it's a bit nuts.  If he's caught in an armbar, kimura, heal hook, oma plata etc. and refuses to tap I'll respect his decision.  Unfortunately for him it will probably put him out of competition for a year or more because he'll have broken bones, ripped apart muscles, ligaments and tendons and have to have all kinds of surgeries to repair it and likely will never be 100% for the rest of his life.  And all for what?  So he can say "I didn't tap out because I'm no b****"?  I bet if Nogueira could go back to the fight where Mir had that kimura locked in he would have tapped. 

Anyway, that's all I'm saying.  Checking one's pride and admitting the opponent got the better of you and being able to go right back to training/rolling again is in everyone's best interest.  It's simply not worth it.

Have you seen this?  Skip forward to about the 2 min mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/wat

ch?v=XdGi7XI5Y_c

Edited by Bocivus
  • Upvote 1

On 14/03/2016 at 6:19 AM, Bocivus said:

I think not tapping may make you tough, but also foolish. 

On the other hand, tapping quickly doesn't mean that you are NOT tough. Tough guys can also be smart, and recognizing quickly when you are in a position that you can't possibly escape from, there is no sense in just lying there and accepting it. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

With no title on the line and knowing you can't get out, why not tap right away? Would've made him look dumb blacking out over a non-title fight, whereas Holm was defending her title. 

The question should be whether McGregor would tap in a title fight? He already said in the Diaz promos that he doesn't care about the belt

1 minute ago, MayRayDown said:

The question should be whether McGregor would tap in a title fight? He already said in the Diaz promos that he doesn't care about the belt

If he honestly doesn't care about the belt, and wasn't just building up the fight in the promos like fighters often do by pretending to hate each other, then he should vacate his title if he really wants a rematch with Diaz. 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

If he honestly doesn't care about the belt, and wasn't just building up the fight in the promos like fighters often do by pretending to hate each other, then he should vacate his title if he really wants a rematch with Diaz. 

I think he says how he honestly feels in promos though. He'll just go to the fight that would make the most money. I feel he should vacate the title since he hasn't defended it yet. Was it Matt Hughes that said you aren't champion until you defend your belt? or was that chuck

10 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I think not tapping may make you tough, but also foolish. 

On the other hand, tapping quickly doesn't mean that you are NOT tough. Tough guys can also be smart, and recognizing quickly when you are in a position that you can't possibly escape from, there is no sense in just lying there and accepting it. 

I could argue the tough part but definitely agree on the foolish part.  I think if you have the balls to step into a cage and fight someone, that alone already shows a lot of toughness in my book.  I really doubt I could do it.  I'll do BJJ tournaments all day long but that's as far as I will go. 

And as you said, no shame in tapping quickly either.  I see it as someone who recognizes being caught faster as opposed to not knowing and going unconscious or getting a joint ripped apart. 

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Agreed.  I would like to see him fight RDA first though.  That guy is a monster and I think Conor is more of a natural 155'er anyway.  Have you seen the pics/video of him at the weigh-ins when he makes 145?  He looks awful.

Edited by Bocivus

• 5 weeks later...

I hope he does retire just to see the look on Dana's face.  He came in with hype, took a bunch of dough and is out at his "apparent" peak.  Lots of lost money for that prick Dana. How he made so much money in the UFC fighting against these guys is beyond me. Three hard fights and was 2-1

Mar 5, 2016 UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz Nate Diaz Loss Submission (rear naked choke) 2 4:12
Dec 12, 2015 UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor Jose Aldo * Win KO/TKO 1 0:13
Jul 11, 2015 UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor Chad Mendes * Win KO/TKO 2 4:57
Jan 18, 2015 UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver Dennis Siver Win KO/TKO 2 1:54
Sep 27, 2014 UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Dustin Poirier Win KO/TKO 1 1:46
Jul 19, 2014 UFC Fight Night 46: McGregor vs. Brandao Diego Brandao Win KO/TKO 1 4:05
Aug 17, 2013 UFC Fight Night 26: Shogun vs. Sonnen Max Holloway Win Decision - Unanimous 3 5:00
Apr 6, 2013 UFC on FUEL TV 9: Mousasi vs. Latifi Marcus Brimage Win KO/TKO 1 1:07

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

I hope he does retire just to see the look on Dana's face.  He came in with hype, took a bunch of dough and is out at his "apparent" peak.  Lots of lost money for that prick Dana. How he made so much money in the UFC fighting against these guys is beyond me. Three hard fights and was 2-1

Mar 5, 2016 UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz Nate Diaz Loss Submission (rear naked choke) 2 4:12
Dec 12, 2015 UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor Jose Aldo * Win KO/TKO 1 0:13
Jul 11, 2015 UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor Chad Mendes * Win KO/TKO 2 4:57
Jan 18, 2015 UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver Dennis Siver Win KO/TKO 2 1:54
Sep 27, 2014 UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Dustin Poirier Win KO/TKO 1 1:46
Jul 19, 2014 UFC Fight Night 46: McGregor vs. Brandao Diego Brandao Win KO/TKO 1 4:05
Aug 17, 2013 UFC Fight Night 26: Shogun vs. Sonnen Max Holloway Win Decision - Unanimous 3 5:00
Apr 6, 2013 UFC on FUEL TV 9: Mousasi vs. Latifi Marcus Brimage Win KO/TKO 1 1:07

Who else retiring would cause as much of a stir? That's how he made so much money. Skill and strength is only 25% of the battle, Charisma is the rest and he had that in spades

4 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Who else retiring would cause as much of a stir? That's how he made so much money. Skill and strength is only 25% of the battle, Charisma is the rest and he had that in spades

Lots of guys 5-10 years ago would have caused this stir if they "retired" like this.  Not saying he isn't a decent fighter but I'll take the GSP, Hughes, BJ Penn, Liddel, Couture era over this guy any day.

If this is the end I will put him in the Sonnen, Hardy category.