The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

What happened in the koschek fight? reading the comments, im guessing he got eye gouged? and faked it?

did it end the fight?

I never thought I'd see a dive in the UFC but Koschek provided just that.

It did not end the fight, Koschek ended up beating Johnson with some good ground work leading to a choke (Johnson was also eye poked twice).

I never thought I'd see a dive in the UFC but Koschek provided just that.

It did not end the fight, Koschek ended up beating Johnson with some good ground work leading to a choke (Johnson was also eye poked twice).

And one of the eye gouges Johnson received was intentional.

Fought my donkey off and got robbed. Thanks to my fans for the support!! I will be back!!

Fought my ass off and got robbed. Thanks to my fans for the support!! I will be back!!

— Tito Ortiz (@titoortiz)

November 22, 2009

I didn't catch the end of his fight with Griffin, but there's no way that he got robbed.

http://twitter.com/t...atus/5942463065

I didn't catch the end of his fight with Griffin, but there's no way that he got robbed.

I saw it all. He didn't get robbed. His only real argument could be that it should have gone down as a draw. But he definitely didn't get robbed. Even if a judge saw it two rounds to one for tito. The third round was a 10-8 for sure.

Tito had the first round I think, 2nd round was close, and 3rd was all Griffin.

Tito may have gotten the takedowns + some good ground and pound, but Griffin was able to get back to his feet every time and was the better and more aggresive stand-up fighter.

Tito did NOTHING in the third. I was worried that it would only go 10-9 after a pair of round victories by Tito, because the Sadollah fight had such a close score in the last round. The judges didn't drop below the 9 score.

For whatever reason, one judge gave Forrest all three rounds. No way he won the second.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

by Jason Probst (jprobst@sherdog.com) (Photos by Emmett Hunt)

21165 MMA's flagship organization returned to California for the first time in two years with UFC 104 "Machida vs. Shogun" on Oct. 24 in Los Angeles. And while Lyoto Machida's controversial decision win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua carried the headlines following the show, referee "Big" John McCarthy's absence from the Octagon was obvious for longtime fans and has many of them asking, "Why?"

Whether or not the California State Athletic Commission assigns McCarthy to work the upcoming WEC 46 event on Jan. 10 in Sacramento could shed light on speculation that he has been bypassed for UFC and WEC events (both promotions are owned by Zuffa LLC). Since his return to officiating in November 2008, McCarthy has been assigned to other high-profile shows, including those under the Strikeforce umbrella.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker sees McCarthy as an asset.

“He’s the best referee in the country,” said Coker. “He’s refereed all of our big shows. He was one of the pioneers.”

In fact, Coker has gone so far as to request McCarthy specifically for certain events.

"Every commission has rules on how that works," Coker said, "but if it's a situation with big fights on CBS, we're trying to get him an approval for the commission; it's never been a problem. I don't see why he wouldn't be (approved) for the number-one guy in the country."

Since taking the helm of the UFC’s officiating duties at UFC 2 in March 1994 and single-handedly building the template from scratch over 15 years and more than 600 events, McCarthy has not refereed a UFC event since 2007. He retired briefly to pursue a career in broadcasting with Canadian cable channel The Fight Network, but he returned full-time to officiating in 2008. After applying for reinstatement in Nevada, his application was placed in the pending file. That led industry insiders to wonder if it was an issue with state commissions or if his well-publicized broadcasting stints with the ill-fated rival Affliction promotion and others were hampering his return effort.

While McCarthy’s fate in Nevada remains nebulous, he is currently licensed by the CSAC and works shows there. He is also licensed in Utah, Illinois, Ohio and some jurisdictions in Canada.

Dave Thornton, interim executive officer of the CSAC, addressed questions from Sherdog.com on the matter via phone and e-mail. In light of McCarthy’s past comments critical of officiating made while he was a paid commentator for the sport, Sherdog.com asked Thornton about who made the assignments for UFC and WEC events.

“Though we have many officials who are working their way up, right now we have only a small pool of about 10 referees qualified to work large promotions,” said Thornton. “We select referees based on experience, training and number of bouts each has to date… We do not keep track of our referees by who has worked what particular promotion, e.g., Strikeforce, WEC, UFC. Our referees are not categorized as ‘accepted’ by any promoter. They are either qualified for any large promotion, or they're not.”

McCarthy, who owns a gym in Southern California, does not have any existing conflicts of interest that would preclude his being assigned to events in the state, said the CSAC's Thornton. In addition, Thornton said no promotion hosting an event in California has requested to him that McCarthy not be assigned to its event.

Still, many scratched their heads when McCarthy was skipped over for the UFC 104 assignment. McCarthy, who had limited comments regarding the situation, said he had been available that evening and has stated in recent public interviews that he'd continue to make himself available for all future MMA events, including the UFC.

In the fast-growing sport, the increasing demand for officials has placed a burden on state commissions trying to keep pace with the exploding workload from more events. That can translate into inconsistent officiating, ranging from how rounds are scored to when restarts are enacted and when fights are stopped. McCarthy has worked extensively to help standardize these concepts across jurisdictions, regularly teaching seminars so officials can be more consistent, regardless of what level show they are officiating. McCarthy also launched his own training program, COMMAND (Certification of Officials for Mixed Martial Arts Development), for referees and judges in December 2007 and holds courses every couple of months.

“If you’ve ever sat down with John and had him explain to you how he referees and protects the athletes and gets his job done, it’s amazing,” said Strikeforce CEO Coker. “The education and knowledge he has is unbelievable. I sat down with him almost three months ago and it was like taking a seminar. There’s nobody better qualified than John.”

Referee assignments have not been made for the Jan. 10 WEC show; those will be completed in mid-December once the card is finalized, said Thornton. He added that while promoters are free to protest referee assignments at least five days before an event, assignments are solely the CSAC’s decision.

"As mentioned, we schedule our referees based on who is due for the next fight," said Thornton.

http://www.theprovince.com/health/injury+woes+continue+more+changes+made+card/2272799/story.html

UFC injury woes continue; more changes made to UFC 108 card

More than ever, Ultimate Fighting Championship is feeling like a travelling circus, with all the juggling and balancing acts being done by UFC president Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva.

The latest in a constant stream of injuries forcing changes to a major UFC event: heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga is out of his UFC 108 match on Jan. 2 in Las Vegas versus Junior Dos Santos because of a staph infection. Yahoo! Sports first reported the change, which was confirmed by Dana White.

In recent months, the list of fighters going on the injured list reads like a who’s-who of MMA all-stars: UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (mononucleosis and intestinal condition), UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (hand surgery), UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva (elbow surgery), UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (groin injury), plus ex-interim heavyweight champ and PRIDE legend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (staph infection) and numerous mid-card fighters.

“It’s crazy,” White said earlier this month.

“In nine years of being in this business, we haven’t had this many injuries in one year.”

The injured list isn’t even counting Dan Henderson, who has at least for now left the company after his contract expired, or Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson, who pulled out of his UFC 108 main event versus Rashad Evans to take a role in the film version of The A-Team.

UFC 108, in particular, appears to have been jinxed, as several matches that were at one point scheduled for the traditional year-end spectacular have been shuffled around.

The heavyweight title match between Lesnar and Shane Carwin, originally slotted for UFC 106 but pushed to UFC 108 after Lesnar was diagnosed with mono, was put on hold indefinitely after Lesnar was diagnosed with a serious intestinal condition that required surgery. On November 16, the heavyweight champ underwent surgery to close a perforation in his intestine that had been leaking fecal matter into his abdomen, causing pain, abcesses, and overworking his immune system.

A proposed main event between Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort was delayed after Silva had elbow surgery. The match is tentatively penned in for UFC 109 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas on Feb. 6.

More recently, a bout between Nogueira and Cain Velasquez at UFC 108 to determine the next challenger for the heavyweight title was put on hold due to Nogueira’s staph infection. MMAJunkie.com reported Thursday that match may now take place at UFC 110 in Sydney, Australia. Verbal agreements are in place for the match, according to the report, but bout agreements have not yet been finalized.

The main event for UFC 108 is a light heavyweight bout between Rashad Evans and Thiago Silva.

Rumours of St. Pierre’s return date continue to swirl

When will Canadian star Georges St. Pierre return to the Octagon?

Speculation grew during UFC 106 weekend in Las Vegas that St. Pierre would meet challenger Dan Hardy at UFC 110, after White said the match would likely take place in February, a month during which the company is putting on UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas and UFC 110 in Sydney, Australia. When asked specifically during a later MMAJunkie Radio interview if the match would take place at UFC 109, White said that wasn’t in the plans. “No. February 6 is Anderson Silva versus Vitor Belfort,” said White of the middleweight title match.

On Thursday, however, a report on AOL Fanhouse said the St. Pierre-Hardy match was being targeted for UFC 111 on March 13 in Newark, New Jersey. The rumoured date would be the company’s first card in the New York area since UFC 78 in November 2007.

St. Pierre has been sidelined since suffering a groin injury during his title defence versus Thiago Alves at UFC 100 in July.

As of right now the UFC doesn't have a heavyweight division

Finally got around to seeing 106 tonight.

First off, way better show than the on paper card would lead you to believe. The weak points were the main event and the Volkmann/Thiago fight. Tito wasn't as explosive as I thought he'd be, and Thiago simply can't look that mean and still fight that mediocre.

My man Amir...damn, makes me want to start training Muay Thai myself :) All homerism aside, it's nice to see someone else in the UFC fight that style aside from Vera. I get sick of watching freestyle kickboxers (who use the clinch now and again) get called Muay Thai guys :P

The Dent/Sotiropoulos fight was entertaining enough, though every once in a while I'd like to see a Jits guys just go to the ground and win.

I've never been a fan of Grove, but I like come from behind wins...and Rosholt has a superman tattoo on his shoulder. Seriously though, Rosholt is a good prospect who just needs some seasoning.

Everybody I know hates Davis but me. At the same time, Saunders reminds me of Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Short fight, damn those knees are scary.

Anyone who thought Lil' Nog was going to lose needs to give their head a shake.

Kos and Rumble...wtf? I mean really, Kos acted like a female dog there...but in my opinion out fought Anthony. And I hate to sound like Harbringer...but Johnson needs to man up and fight as his own weight. It is retarted how big he is at "170". The whole thing was a circus to me, even Kos calling out Hardy. 'specially because he's right, Hardy has no buisness being in a title fight.

All in all, an enjoyable card...and my little review here was written after a long night involving many whiskey's, so please view it accordingly :)