The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I said Rodriguez was fancy schmancy before the fight. I don't think I have ever been more accurate describing a fighters style.

That may have been the best finish I've ever witnessed. I have quite a history of taking part in and watching point sparing tournaments where guys will try fun stuff. It doesn't often translate to the cage or real fights. However, this guy... 

Yair fights like he sees the matrix.

Speaking of living in a simulation. That finish came at 1 second left of an amazing 5th round headliner fight during the 25yr anniversary show (loved the throw back graphics btw). By a guy so highly trained he looks like a video game. To me this incredible technique showed how far the sport has evolved and happened at the most story book moment. 

Also, big nod of the hat to the fact that the fight took place in Denver. It was at altitude, 25 mins of insane cage fighting. 

Just wow.

For those that missed the finish, Here is 'the elbow'

Edit: some of the replays are being pulled.....re-posted this clip

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I said Rodriguez was fancy schmancy before the fight. I don't think I have ever been more accurate describing a fighters style.

That may have been the best finish I've ever witnessed. I have quite a history of taking part in and watching point sparing tournaments where guys will try fun stuff. It doesn't often translate to the cage or real fights. However, this guy... 

Yair fights like he sees the matrix.

Speaking of living in a simulation. That finish came at 1 second left of an amazing 5th round headliner fight during the 25yr anniversary show (loved the throw back graphics btw). By a guy so highly trained he looks like a video game. To me this incredible technique showed how far the sport has evolved and happened at the most story book moment. 

Also, big nod of the hat to the fact that the fight took place in Denver. It was at altitude, 25 mins of insane cage fighting. 

Just wow.

For those that missed the finish, Here is 'the elbow'

It's funny you mention the Matrix because that's what some call Zabit (who Yair was supposed to fight). I think its ridiculous many were under the impression Yair was scared to fight Zabit. Someone who is scared doesn't have a 5 round war with the Zombie. 

I hope they remake that fight with Yair taking it. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-11-09 at 11:39 PM, RRypien37 said:

Just sad. 

Imagine how much different his life would've went if the bias judges rightfully gave him the decision against GSP. 

So true. It was one of the worst events I’ve ever watched, but man Johnny Hendricks got KO’d by some bum so hard. 

—-

That elbow by Yair was a thing beauty!

20 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

It's funny you mention the Matrix because that's what some call Zabit (who Yair was supposed to fight). I think its ridiculous many were under the impression Yair was scared to fight Zabit. Someone who is scared doesn't have a 5 round war with the Zombie. 

I hope they remake that fight with Yair taking it. 

Right, so Pantera might 'see' the matrix after all. :P

Thought this was funny....Zabit asking "Will he ever call my name?? Or should I move on??"

Well, Zabit....your name is Magomedsharipov......hahahaha....I don't know if you will ever hear anyone really call your name....how do you pronounce all them letters?!?!

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/11/12/18087632/zabit-magomedsharipov-wants-have-word-with-yair-rodriguez-following-ufc-denver

Anyway, book this fight!

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Right, so Pantera might 'see' the matrix after all. :P

Thought this was funny....Zabit asking "Will he ever call my name?? Or should I move on??"

Well, Zabit....your name is Magomedsharipov......hahahaha....I don't know if you will ever hear anyone really call your name....how do you pronounce all them letters?!?!

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/11/12/18087632/zabit-magomedsharipov-wants-have-word-with-yair-rodriguez-following-ufc-denver

Anyway, book this fight!

It will definitely happen. Winner becomes an instant contender. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I saw a video of Floyd yesterday.

He’s literally getting paid to make an appearance by having a light exhibition boxing only tilt with that up and coming young star. It’s not going to be an official fight on his record. 

Promoting TMT and boosting RIZN on the international stage. 

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

He’s literally getting paid to make an appearance by having a light exhibition boxing only tilt with that up and coming young star. It’s not going to be an official fight on his record. 

Its just an exhibition 3 round promo thing. Smart move by Floyd, Im sure he is getting paid quite a bit do do it. Why not, most rich people seem to be greedy and always go after more $ even when they dont need it.

Hopeful for some good fights tonight and tomorrow

On 16/11/2018 at 10:06 AM, HI5 said:

I know, I read that Sakakibara said something like "rules to be set when I get back to Japan". So, 'don't worry Floyd we will make you look good and make a lot of money'. Plus you don't back out on a guy with those kind of underground ties. Think I remember Dana once said back in the Pride days..."I can't land in Japan, they will try to kill me"

Yeah, I should have posted about Floyd in  a different thread. Maybe the WWE one? sports entertainment is all he is now. 

We all know what a pure boxer looks like vs an MMA athlete. 

Ground game, kicks and elbows, timing and distance for take down defence ,....there's too much to try to just pick up at 40+ yrs old.

Oh boy,

I guess we watch them huff and puff. Then lay bets on who goes into cardiac arrest first?

MONSTER MATCH 

‘Scariest Man On The Planet’ Martyn Ford to fight ‘Iranian Hulk’ Sajad Gharibi in MMA debut

https://talksport.com/sport/ufc/448385/scariest-man-on-the-planet-martyn-ford-to-fight-iranian-hulk-sajad-gharibi-in-mma-debut/

On 11/20/2018 at 12:16 PM, bishopshodan said:

Oh boy,

I guess we watch them huff and puff. Then lay bets on who goes into cardiac arrest first?

MONSTER MATCH 

‘Scariest Man On The Planet’ Martyn Ford to fight ‘Iranian Hulk’ Sajad Gharibi in MMA debut

https://talksport.com/sport/ufc/448385/scariest-man-on-the-planet-martyn-ford-to-fight-iranian-hulk-sajad-gharibi-in-mma-debut/

No steroid testing for that fight...

Is the UFC this weekend not televised on regular tv??

On 11/21/2018 at 7:41 PM, Canuckster86 said:

No steroid testing for that fight...

Is the UFC this weekend not televised on regular tv??

It's in China.

It will air at 3:30am our time. The Fight Network is showing it but I'm not sure about any other channels. I'm sure you will be able to find a stream. That's an early rise though, put the coffee on!

6 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Ngannou won, was hoping for Blaydes but that was a pretty decisive win in the 1st minute

I actually got up and watched the last four fights.

First time seeing both Chinese fighters, they were impressive and put on a show for the home crowd.

I liked Song Yadong and not just for the great name. Think they said he trained in a Shaolin temple for a while. Anyway , through my sleepy eyes he was sharp, flighty and in hella good shape.

Reem looked strong or his opponent was scared, not sure. Pavlovich looked clunky and had an early night due to some really heavy shots ( you could hear the impact) on the ground from Alistair.

Ngannou has the hardest recorded tested punch on the planet. He clubbed Blaydes with a right, just behind the ear and Blaydes couldn't recover before more bombs chased him down.  To bad, was hoping for more of a tilt. Curtis is a good competitor.

Edited by bishopshodan

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Ngannou has the hardest recorded tested punch on the planet. He clubbed Blaydes with a right, just behind the ear and Blaydes couldn't recover before more bombs chased him down.  To bad, was hoping for more of a tilt. Curtis is a good competitor.

Interesting, never knew they tested and recorded that sort of thing...

I am going to try and catch the Liddel Ortiz fight if I can find it later on. Have to think Ortiz is favoured but would be nice to see the IceMan pull of the victory, hopefully he doesnt get knocked around

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Interesting, never knew they tested and recorded that sort of thing...

I am going to try and catch the Liddel Ortiz fight if I can find it later on. Have to think Ortiz is favoured but would be nice to see the IceMan pull of the victory, hopefully he doesnt get knocked around

..and Re: Ortiz vs Liddell. I just hope the two old men have fun out there later tonight. Make some money and don't get injured. Silly rabbits.