The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Liddell got dropped with the first big clean punch.  He lost his iron chin long ago and apparently never got it back.

Nope, I never even gave him much of a chance to be honest. 8yr layoff, and he got beat good in his last few fights. Hopefully he got that itch out of his system. I would be shocked if he tried to fight again.

Be interesting to see if Golden Boy MMA has any chance of making a name for themselves or not

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Nope, I never even gave him much of a chance to be honest. 8yr layoff, and he got beat good in his last few fights. Hopefully he got that itch out of his system. I would be shocked if he tried to fight again.

Be interesting to see if Golden Boy MMA has any chance of making a name for themselves or not

GB MMA will just be another UFC or Bellator feeder league if they keep going.

• Cheers 1

I did not expect this.

Wow Spider, good luck you fearless old man.

Anderson Silva will return to the octagon at February’s UFC 234 event against Israel Adesanya

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/breaking-anderson-silva-will-return-to-the-octagon-at-februarys-ufc-234-event-against-israel-adesanya/

Edit:

I'm starting to think...I don't know if this fight even happens. They offered Stylebender the back up job for the Whittaker vs. Gastelum fight. He turned it down, they were offering 56k( I think) maybe that was not enough to do a training camp for just a potential injury. Now he's booked on the same card. So he would get a good fight either way.... I can see an injury to one of the headliners, Israel steps up? probably for a nice paycheck. 

Edited by bishopshodan

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I did not expect this.

Anderson Silva will return to the octagon at February’s UFC 234 event against Israel Adesanya

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/breaking-anderson-silva-will-return-to-the-octagon-at-februarys-ufc-234-event-against-israel-adesanya/

Edit:

I'm starting to think...I don't know if this fight even happens. They offered Stylebender the back up job for the Whittaker vs. Gastelum fight. He turned it down, they were offering 56k( I think) maybe that was not enough to do a training camp for just a potential injury. Now he's booked on the same card. So he would get a good fight either way.... I can see an injury to one of the headliners, Israel steps up? probably for a nice paycheck. 

Does Silva have much left in the tank? He was great in his prime but he is in his 40's now. Should be an interesting fight regardless

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I did not expect this.

Edit:

It's a smart move on his part. Win win.

Silva is going to get seriously hurt though. Very stupid fight to make for a variety of obvious reasons imho. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Iceman got iced!

That was a tough fight to watch.

Yup, even if he wanted to fight again no promotion should allow him too. He was a scared kitty in that cage. He once was a great fighter, didnt like how it ended at an appropriate age of 40 and at almost 49 tried to comeback after 8yrs to prove people wrong. It was a long layoff, give him props for putting in the effort and dedication but damn Chuck enough is enough. Go enjoy retirement with your family

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So when is the Green Ranger going to fight CM Punk?:P

Are there any UFC fighters who aren’t on drugs?   UFC should have a ligit Battle Royal.  That would be too cool.  Company is going down anyway, so go out with a bang, right?  I’d pay to wTch that show.

22 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

It's a smart move on his part. Win win.

Silva is going to get seriously hurt though. Very stupid fight to make for a variety of obvious reasons imho. 

Silva in his prime and this would be an amazing contest..but he's not...so it won't be.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are there any UFC fighters who aren’t on drugs?   UFC should have a ligit Battle Royal.  That would be too cool.  Company is going down anyway, so go out with a bang, right?  I’d pay to wTch that show.

You could ask that of a lot of sports these days...the UFC has made some big strides since the early days in this regard. 

You mention a Battle Royal, a event from that pretend world of wrestling. I grew up on the stuff but now that I am older I would rather have my children watch real fighting contests than the influence and ideals that an org like the WWE portrays. Do some research in the kind of drug abuse that those athletes take part in. I remember Brock Lesnar once saying something like his diet was  'Vicodin and vodka'. He obviously abuses steroids too, a lot. Was busted and suspended after his last MMA fight, driving his opponent crazy. His opponent was the legendary Mark Hunt, google him and have a look weather you think Mark has touched any PED's.

Speaking of body types. Currently, the two largest divisions that the UFC has which is light heavy and heavy weight, the divisions that you would expect to see the most steroid abuse are ruled by this man...Double Champ Daniel Cormier https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/ufc-champ-daniel-cormier-boasts-drug-testing-record-usada .Please click on that link my Alien friend and see what he is boasting about. Also have a gander at his potato-esq physique.

I obviously like to talk about this subject. You are right about the abuse out there in fighting. However, I wanted to highlight that MMA fighters are probably better role models than WWE stars for the young kids.

Also, I do believe the UFC maybe on the decline but the other orgs are taking up the slack big time. One Championship and Bellator are becoming very big. There are also half a dozen mid sized companies popping up around the globe. About time!

18 hours ago, HI5 said:

Iceman got iced!

That was a tough fight to watch.

Yuck, I knew I didn't need to watch it live.

Just saw the replay. Chuck was trying the same cocked right hand distance game he used so well ages ago. However this time he was at half speed with a look of dread in his eyes. His chin left for vacation about 10 years ago too and has not returned.

Sad to watch. Was there any good fights on the card? I was too busy dancing a jig watching the Nucks beat the Kings.

19 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So when is the Green Ranger going to fight CM Punk?:P

I think they should do it but in a smaller organisation or at least the under card. Do not want to see a main card spot taken up by garbage fighters anymore.

My money would be on the Green Ranger. He called out Van Damme at a Comic-con not to long ago too.  hahaha  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3KGBcm-pI

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually alot of them. Usada has been good for the sport i dont want to see them go back to the ufc trt days or pride at its peak.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think they should do it but in a smaller organisation or at least the under card. Do not want to see a main card spot taken up by garbage fighters anymore.

My money would be on the Green Ranger. He called out Van Damme at a Comic-con not to long ago too.  hahaha  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3KGBcm-pI

Oh for sure (I didn't mean it should be anywhere remotely near the main card).  But it would have a certain curiousity factor that could bring in some ratings.

CM Punk waited too long to make the switch to the MMA.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yuck, I knew I didn't need to watch it live.

Just saw the replay. Chuck was trying the same cocked right hand distance game he used so well ages ago. However this time he was at half speed with a look of dread in his eyes. His chin left for vacation about 10 years ago too and has not returned.

Sad to watch. Was there any good fights on the card? I was too busy dancing a jig watching the Nucks beat the Kings.

I just watched the main event on YouTube the following day.  Not sure how the rest of the card was..being a boxing fan first was just odd seeing Canelos name in the centre of the octagon and Oscar all up in the videos.

• Cheers 1