The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

50 minutes ago, HI5 said:

I just watched the main event on YouTube the following day.  Not sure how the rest of the card was..being a boxing fan first was just odd seeing Canelos name in the centre of the octagon and Oscar all up in the videos.

I liked seeing deron winn man. He is a big time legit prospect.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Askren vs Lawler.

Who you got?

Never watched Askren fight, but sounds like a cocky sob so hoping he can back it up. If so maybe the UFC makes a catchweight bout between him and McGregor. 2 loud mouths fighting eachother would draw some PPV buys I'm sure

15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Never watched Askren fight, but sounds like a cocky sob so hoping he can back it up. If so maybe the UFC makes a catchweight bout between him and McGregor. 2 loud mouths fighting eachother would draw some PPV buys I'm sure

McGregor don’t want that smoke.

39 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I've only seen him a bit but his rep is that of one of the best wrasslin' dudes out there.

I'm hoping for a Lawler win, we know he hits like a truck and he is very good at stuffing take downs. But I have a good feeling I will be disappointed, kinda going with heart not my gut or brain here. 

I'm with HI5 , McGregor showed us what he can do against a top tier undefeated ground guy in Khabib. Can't see him wanting another in Askren, though the trash talk could be gold. 

13 hours ago, HI5 said:

McGregor don’t want that smoke.

True, McGregor likely doesnt want to fight a wrestler again, if he does he is likely just going to get taken down and lose again. He has a lot of $ so not sure how quickly of a turn around he will do for his next fight. I guess we to wait till Dec 10th to see what happens to him and Khabib?

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

True, McGregor likely doesnt want to fight a wrestler again, if he does he is likely just going to get taken down and lose again. He has a lot of $ so not sure how quickly of a turn around he will do for his next fight. I guess we to wait till Dec 10th to see what happens to him and Khabib?

They're talking him vs Cowboy next. I don't know why, but my guess is to get McG a win. Cowboy is Dana's dream, fights whenever called upon without moaning. 

I don't want to see that fight but if they do it I'm sure the media releases will make Cowboy look like he's a top fighter twice the size of the Irish man. 

I don't know what should be next for Conor. Kavanagh, his coach, says he hasn't see him since UFC 229.

He always has the 3rd Nate fight waiting but if he loses, his stock goes way down. He would likely lose to Tferg and that fight might not generate as much $ anyway. I can't see him doing any better against Khabib in a rematch.

Crazy but...maybe he will try for a GSP fight? he doesn't have a chance imo yet even with a likely loss, he would be admired for trying in the first place and could keep the money train rolling.

Maybe a dumb Paulie boxing match? that's a bit of a story...

52 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They're talking him vs Cowboy next. I don't know why, but my guess is to get McG a win. Cowboy is Dana's dream, fights whenever called upon without moaning. 

I don't want to see that fight but if they do it I'm sure the media releases will make Cowboy look like he's a top fighter twice the size of the Irish man. 

I don't know what should be next for Conor. Kavanagh, his coach, says he hasn't see him since UFC 229.

He always has the 3rd Nate fight waiting but if he loses, his stock goes way down. He would likely lose to Tferg and that fight might not generate as much $ anyway. I can't see him doing any better against Khabib in a rematch.

Crazy but...maybe he will try for a GSP fight? he doesn't have a chance imo yet even with a likely loss, he would be admired for trying in the first place and could keep the money train rolling.

Analyzing the top 5 at LW, it seems like Conor has 2 options as a best chance to win.

Poirier and Barboza who are both solid, stand up fighters.

Poirier has come a long way since his first fight with Conor and I think it would be a very close fight. As for Edson, it's a toss up depending on which version of him shows up that night. All the remaining killers in the top 5 beat Conor 9/10 times. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I think its more Cowboy wanting that fight for the payday. That would be a pretty low competitor for McG to fight imo. Cowboy is just entering LW again. Let him fight someone in and around the #5 spot first.

McG should avoid a wrestler dominant fighter, that or train like crazy to be better on the ground(not something you get good at overnight). I wonder if GSP can fight at LW, would be a good fight between him and Khabib. I would like to see Ferguson get that title shot, if not Ferguson McG could be a good fight if Khabib is suspended they can do the all famous interim chamionship between those 2 till Khabib is back. That way  Fergy and McG get to fight for a title and the true winner gets to defend it against Khabib. Not just an automatic rematch for Connor, which he doesnt deserve anyway. Didnt do it for Stipe and he defends his title

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

What fights you interested in tonight in Bellator or UFC ultimate fighter, then ufc again tomorrow! I wouldnt mind seeing that boxing fight tomorrow also, guess its on ppv, tsn doesnt have it

I know... too much!! :frantic:

Unfortunate for RDA last night. He's one of the fighters that would fit nice in a 165lbs div.

Would love Mark and JDS to get the wins tonight... tough tasks.

On 11/30/2018 at 11:28 AM, RRypien37 said:

Poirier and Barboza who are both solid, stand up fighters.

Poirier and McG getting some chatter. I think Dustin puts it on him this time.... still I should not disrespect that left bomb, could be a great rematch.

This is cool, Hope these things happen more. Would love to see a One vs UFC too. 

Bellator announced on Thursday that their bantamweight champion Darrion Caldwell will be facing off against Rizin’s 135lb king  Kyoji Horiguchi for the Japanese promotions’ bantamweight belt.

http://www.punditarena.com/mma/oisinmcqueirns2758/bellator-champ-caldwell-face-rizin-champ-horiguchi-super-fight/

19 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I know... too much!! :frantic:

Unfortunate for RDA last night. He's one of the fighters that would fit nice in a 165lbs div.

Would love Mark and JDS to get the wins tonight... tough tasks.

Poirier and McG getting some chatter. I think Dustin puts it on him this time.... still I should not disrespect that left bomb, could be a great rematch.

This is cool, Hope these things happen more. Would love to see a One vs UFC too. 

Bellator announced on Thursday that their bantamweight champion Darrion Caldwell will be facing off against Rizin’s 135lb king  Kyoji Horiguchi for the Japanese promotions’ bantamweight belt.

http://www.punditarena.com/mma/oisinmcqueirns2758/bellator-champ-caldwell-face-rizin-champ-horiguchi-super-fight/

That is interesting for sure. Doubt the UFC will "lower" themselves to allowing smaller fight organiazations to join in on their PPV's.

On 11/29/2018 at 3:23 PM, bishopshodan said:

Askren vs Lawler.

Who you got?

I can see Askren dragging Lawler down and laying on him. Lawler has had some serious wars.  Askren is the epitome of boring wrestler and a full on douche bag. I hope he leaves looking even more like Rocky Dennis...

Image result for ben askren rocky dennis

rocky-dennis.jpg?quality=95&w=300

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

That is interesting for sure. Doubt the UFC will "lower" themselves to allowing smaller fight organiazations to join in on their PPV's.

Not yet, but maybe down the road.

I'm hearing that One is getting a big fan base and have deep pockets. The UFC loves money over it's own sports integrity....as In, the ranking's don't matter and it's more important for the competitors to 'move the needle'...Prize fighting is the name of the game still. If it makes dollars...it could make sense. 

14 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Wow, Max Holloway putting on a clinic vs Ortega

Yup it was Max being Max again. Guessing he wants to be the next guy to fight for a 2nd title now too. Would be a good fight between him and Khabib, seems to have solid takedown defence. But Khabib is relentless at going to the ground.

Would McMoney fight Holloway again at Featherweight? 

15 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Yup it was Max being Max again. Guessing he wants to be the next guy to fight for a 2nd title now too. Would be a good fight between him and Khabib, seems to have solid takedown defence. But Khabib is relentless at going to the ground.

Would McMoney fight Holloway again at Featherweight? 

McGregor can't make 145 anymore. He was already on the verge of death the last few times he made it. 

Edited by RRypien37