The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

What makes you think the Red Wings are any closer to a ring than we are?

Seriously?

1) They are in the East

2) They have proven players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Green, Kronwall, Franzen

3) Their youth is more polished: Tatar, Nyquist, Sheanen

4) They are in the East

5) They also have great young guys Puk, Mantha, Holmstrom

This plus the addition to the Sedin's on the second line and you're going to ask me this question?

Edited by Sedin Brothers

Seriously?

1) They are in the East

4) They are in the East

This plus the addition to the Sedin's on the second line and you're going to ask me this question?

This is true.

Seriously?

1) They are in the East

4) They are in the East

So they can add another 14M to their cap for a pair of 2nd liners?

Seriously?

1) They are in the East

4) They are in the East

What has Green proven? I know the likes of Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen etc WERE proven, but their core is just as old as ours. Now you're gonna add 2 more old players not even to mention the cap issues they would have.

The Red Wings best days are behind them. They are an old team rebuilding on the fly. They are the eastern conferences version of us except they have success in their past and not heartbreak.

What has Green proven? I know the likes of Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen etc WERE proven, but their core is just as old as ours. Now you're gonna add 2 more old players not even to mention the cap issues they would have.

The Red Wings best days are behind them. They are an old team rebuilding on the fly. They are the eastern conferences version of us except they have success in their past and not heartbreak.

Sorry dude, but you're waaaayyy off. I'll agree that a couple of their core guys are getting up there (esp Franzen), but they are much, MUCH stronger when it comes to youth.

They have proven top-6 guys like Tatar and Nyqvist, who are 24 and 26 years old. Those two scored a combined 56 goals last season. The only guy under 30 we have who scored more than 16 was Brandon Sutter, with 21. And we may fawn over what guys like Cassels/Baertschi/Markstrom might become, but Red Wings have similar hopes for Sheahan/Jurco/Mrazek, who have all proven far more.

And then for up-and-coming prospects, the Wings have us beat too. We're excited about Virtanen and Boeser, but Larkin, Mantha, Svechnikov, and Pulkinnen are even more enticing. HF has Detroit rated 4th in the league for their prospect pool.

Add that to them being in the East, and I'd pick Detroit to go further than us for each of the next few years, and perhaps even beyond.

Nice post!

Vrbata kind of dried up playing with the TWINS and then WD put Burrows back with them and their production went up. Although the Twins up their physical play last year Burrows gives them a net presence which they have to have. Burrows has elite hand eye

co-ordination.

Burrows hasn't been elite anything since 2010-2011. What he is is a dependable player who is solid on the PK, gives a solid effort every game, and gives the Sedins a little sand paper and puck pursuit. But please, don't overcook it. He's still valuable to the Canucks but he ain't elite.

• Upvote 1

Burrows hasn't been elite anything since 2010-2011. What he is is a dependable player who is solid on the PK, gives a solid effort every game, and gives the Sedins a little sand paper and puck pursuit. But please, don't overcook it. He's still valuable to the Canucks but he ain't elite.

Well said.

I don't think too many fans would have ever called Burrows "elite". I do think he was underrated for years. Thus his payback contract. But he has always had great hands around the net. And that is all about, other than the courage to stand there, hand-eye coordination. And that blue paint skill is something that is not the first to go in an athlete. He is more than "a little sand paper and puck pursuit" to that line. The Sedin line was never a fast line, its all about the chemistry and knowing where to be. Burrows should be fine with that part for another year or two. As long as he is healthy.

I don't think too many fans would have ever called Burrows "elite". I do think he was underrated for years. Thus his payback contract. But he has always had great hands around the net. And that is all about, other than the courage to stand there, hand-eye coordination. And that blue paint skill is something that is not the first to go in an athlete. He is more than "a little sand paper and puck pursuit" to that line. The Sedin line was never a fast line, its all about the chemistry and knowing where to be. Burrows should be fine with that part for another year or two. As long as he is healthy.

I think because he essentially came out of nowhere (not a top prospect) he was underrated and undervalued early (which is to say, he surpassed expectations). He was a key player as the team peaked a few years ago, and now on the down curve, is overrated by some based on that history. It balances out really. He has had a really good career and still has contributions to make. No matter what, though, in the end he will always have the asterisk by his name in some people's minds ("yes, but he played with the Sedins..."). Fair or not.

I'm going to have to disagree with your first comment along with his "blue paint skill". He ain't no Thomas Holmstrom, and I would argue that Burrows is sloppy in this part of the ice...he makes a lot of contact with goalies, whether it's because he's pushed in by opposing d-men or because he's not aware enough of his positioning in front of the net. His strength has never been about owning a piece of the ice...he's a guy who is most effective when he's pursuing and chasing players and pucks down (that's why he was so bad under Torts, when he played with his bad foot).

To a large cluster of Canucks fans, Burrows walks on water...IMHO, some Canucks fans' adoration for Burrows (which is well deserved on Burrows' part) has been blurred with his skill set/contribution over the past 4-5 seasons. As previously said, Burrows is a solid NHL player who still competes hard and he's certainly a fan favorite, but he ain't elite.

IMO, Burrows is a solid 3rd liner who can move up and down the lineup with the best of them. Canucks are a better team with him in the lineup, but he's far from being what he was. Father time.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to have to disagree with your first comment along with his "blue paint skill". He ain't no Thomas Holmstrom, and I would argue that Burrows is sloppy in this part of the ice...he makes a lot of contact with goalies, whether it's because he's pushed in by opposing d-men or because he's not aware enough of his positioning in front of the net. His strength has never been about owning a piece of the ice...he's a guy who is most effective when he's pursuing and chasing players and pucks down (that's why he was so bad under Torts, when he played with his bad foot).

To a large cluster of Canucks fans, Burrows walks on water...IMHO, some Canucks fans' adoration for Burrows (which is well deserved on Burrows' part) has been blurred with his skill set/contribution over the past 4-5 seasons. As previously said, Burrows is a solid NHL player who still competes hard and he's certainly a fan favorite, but he ain't elite.

IMO, Burrows is a solid 3rd liner who can move up and down the lineup with the best of them. Canucks are a better team with him in the lineup, but he's far from being what he was. Father time.

You've seen a lot of fans call him "elite" on here? Maybe its happened but I certainly have no recollection of ever seeing that. I've never called him that and I'm one of his biggest fans. I save that for the best of the best. The only "elite" players the Canucks have had, in their prime more especially, IMO are the Sedins, and Bure.

And his "blue paint skills" are pretty self-evident. This involves using advanced hockey smarts by going to the net at the exact right time, being resilient in taking crosschecks and slashes on a constant basis, holding your ground, and while taking all that abuse, being able to spot the puck passed to the front of the net and then using your skill by deflecting or shooting it in. He as been above-average at that in the very least.

And that type of skill is less reliant on athletic skating ability than by simple hockey smarts, which he has not lost. Sure he is past his prime and we cannot expect as much, but my argument is that offensive skill, especially on a line that is not dependent on speed, is not going to suffer a dramatic downslide (unless injuries whether hidden or public hamper him). But he's probably going to be bumped down to the second this year anyways (at least until whoever they slot into that first line predictably dries up and they need the Burr to right the ship once again)

Now his PK skills, on the other hand, may be affected more ie..chasing down the puck.

• 2 weeks later...