The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

This will be the key to the Sedins seeing a cup in vancouver. We almost had it with the WCE but Bertuzzi decided to sucker punch some guy in the back of the head.

The window is closing but we could if full circle if some of the young fellas emerge as a first line presence.

Otherwise it's pretty awesome that this thread is almost 8 years old.

Sadly, the WCE was already winding down by then, Bertuzzi just punchuated the demise of the team with an exclamation mark.

Well... "Mr. Clutch" played only 3 of the 6 playoff game against the Flamez this year and had ZERO goals and 2 assists.

One of the few remaining from the "stale" old core....

Burrows hasn't been Mr. Clutch since he scored in OT vs. the Bruins in the 2011 SCF. His best days are in the rear-view mirror.

But the one thing you can't deny Burrows is that, at the very least, he showed up for the three games that he dressed. Other schmoes like Matthias and Vrbata didn't (4-5 good shifts each where they actually produced something wasn't nearly enough, IMO)...and they played like they were scared. Same with Weber. Before JB cuts bait with rest of the stale core (who's left? Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis and Edler?), I'd rather see Vrbata and Weber be turfed outta here.

• Upvote 1

Burrows hasn't been Mr. Clutch since he scored in OT vs. the Bruins in the 2011 SCF. His best days are in the rear-view mirror.

But the one thing you can't deny Burrows is that, at the very least, he showed up for the three games that he dressed. Other schmoes like Matthias and Vrbata didn't (4-5 good shifts each where they actually produced something wasn't nearly enough, IMO)...and they played like they were scared. Same with Weber. Before JB cuts bait with rest of the stale core (who's left? Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis and Edler?), I'd rather see Vrbata and Weber be turfed outta here.

So...if Vrbata and Weber go - then Burrows is next in your book?

• Upvote 1

So...if Vrbata and Weber go - then Burrows is next in your book?

I would if JB could get a second rounder for Burrows. But based on the positive comments Benning has made about Burrows in one of the war room clips, I don't think Burrows is going anywhere.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but if the Canucks could have traded Burrows before UFA and was able to pick up a guy like Beleskey at $4.0 cap hit, that would have been ideal.

I would have done cart wheels (and that's tough for me to do right now since I'm laid up after back surgery) if JB could have dumped Vrbata and signed Justin Williams as his replacement and signed Chris Stewart with the money left over from trading Burr and Vrbata.

I could get excited about a forward lineup that looks like:

Sedin - Sedin - Williams

Baertschi - Bonino - Stewart

Beleskey - Horvat - Hansen

Prust - Vey - Dorsett

Kenins

• 2 months later...

Until the Twins find another line-mate with grit, smarts and a good shot who complements their style, I think Burrows should be retained, and even if the replacement has been found Burr should still have a role even as a depth scorer. Though people say he and Higgins are best suited for lower line duties, his point averages are still solid for fill-in 2nd line minutes, plus he has solid work ethic that I'm sure Benning would want the rest of the team's young guns to learn for themselves. What's more, with their versatility and effectiveness, the team can effectively roll their 1st line and then two 2nd lines (should they demote Burr, I'd like to see Twins and whoever for the 1st, Bart - Bo - Vrbata for scoring, Higgins - Sutter - Burr for shutdown line).

Edited by Phil_314

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

Amazingly redic post from 2008

Just had to repost.

I'd trade Higgins and Hansen before burrows guy does it all, pk, scores, leads, loves the Canucks. Still can play on the 1st line or anywhere in the lineup either wing

Until the Twins find another line-mate with grit, smarts and a good shot who complements their style, I think Burrows should be retained, and even if the replacement has been found Burr should still have a role even as a depth scorer. Though people say he and Higgins are best suited for lower line duties, his point averages are still solid for fill-in 2nd line minutes, plus he has solid work ethic that I'm sure Benning would want the rest of the team's young guns to learn for themselves. What's more, with their versatility and effectiveness, the team can effectively roll their 1st line and then two 2nd lines (should they demote Burr, I'd like to see Twins and whoever for the 1st, Bart - Bo - Vrbata for scoring, Higgins - Sutter - Burr for shutdown line).

If love to see:

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Beartschi Sutter Vrbata

Burrows Horvat Hansen

Prust Cassels Dorsett

• Upvote 1

If love to see:

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Beartschi Sutter Vrbata

Burrows Horvat Hansen

Prust Cassels Dorsett

If Virtanen makes the team and finds a scoring touch early, this would be a fun lineup but he would really have to show that he deserved it. Outside of the Sedin line, Burrows is a perfect 3rd liner. That line of Burrows, Horvat and Hansen would be one of the hardest working lines in Hockey.

Just like Bieska, Burrows time on this team should be over soon. While he is an effective 34 year old player, this team doesn't really need him anymore.

The only thing they have in common is their age. As much as I like Juice, he was clearly struggling on the decline last year.

Burr is still a good player who can play on any line and do well. He has amazing hockey sense and is very good offensively and defensively. He is most likely a very good guy in the locker room as well. He has massive experience and can show the youngin's what it takes for a no-name, non-drafted plug to become a solid NHL player.

Regardless, the best time to look at trading him will be at the trade deadline next season ('16/17), as he will only have one year left on his contract. At the moment, the team has no replacement for him; certainly not in their prospect pool.

Going forward, Burr's cap hit is not an issue, so I don't see trading him until there's a prospect good enough to take his job.

Edited by helpsu2score

The Burrows contract is an excellent contract signed at the time and with only one year left on it at $3,000,000.00, is a minor risk.

Burrows will be 35 by the time his contract ends and will either hit the UFA market for another great paycheck and/ or a chance to have kick at the Cup, or stay with the Canucks at a price that makes perfect sense for both sides, at a position that also makes sense.

However, Burrows is a double edged sword. Since Burrows is an absolute workhorse, he will always automatically displace whoever plays with the Sedins. This season, Vrbata who signed with the Canucks to specifically play with the Sedins, lost his place to Burrows.

Vrbata did not look too happy about that at all and his production dried up as he was "out-of-position" on his contract. He looked frustrated and even sometimes lost.

Vrbata with the Sedins works All-Stars if Burrows isn't available.

Who in their right mind would trade such a winner as Burrows, who sacrificed everything for this franchise, and who has shown the resilience sorely needed in too many people today. Besides, Burrows was molded to the Sedins' style to a T. Therefore, no one else fits better with the Sedins than Burrows.

That said, whether Burrows leaves or stays, I hope a new 1st line is created in Vancouver.

The Sedins-Burrows line cannot carry the load in the playoffs as a first line; not on this team, not in this Division, nor in this Conference.

However, having D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - BURROWS as a second line works perfect for the playoffs.

A first line followed by the Sedins is a lethal, unstoppable part of the team; change on the fly and cycle until the opposition loses its legs. Easy pickings, the Sedins continue to rack the points, break records, retire happy and hopefully with a Cup.

That would mean a beefy, skilled 1st line.

A double edged sword indeed.

I'm sure even Burr would love this post. Die by the sword before going down with the ship.

#respect

In Canuck history who, Stan Smyl maybe, could be regarded as as hard a battler, a competitor in terms of fighting for the team and in a hockey sense as Burrows?

Linden in a hockey sense. But would he have fought Ryan Getzlaf, pounced all over Tim Thomas or pulled Duncan Keith's hair?

Was Tiger Williamas, who was obviously a better fighter, as good a player?

Maybe Snepst...

Regardless; this is one of the all time great Canucks! And only a scant few can be classed in a conversation with Burr as our all time best battler!

• Upvote 1

In Canuck history who, Stan Smyl maybe, could be regarded as as hard a battler, a competitor in terms of fighting for the team and in a hockey sense as Burrows?

Linden in a hockey sense. But would he have fought Ryan Getzlaf, pounced all over Tim Thomas or pulled Duncan Keith's hair?

Maybe Snepst...

Regardless; this is one of the all time great Canucks! And only a scant few can be classed in a conversation with Burr as our all time best battler!

Excellent post.

Different eras are hard to compare. The thing I will always remember about Alex Burrows is the season he and Kesler made it to the NHL. The Canuck roster was pretty sad and teams were beating them not only on the score board but physically as well. Those two put some 'bite' back in the Canuck game. The gravy for the Canucks was Burrow's development into a great offensive player. He often is degraded with the suggestion the Twins carrying him. I have always thought that Burrows benefited the Twins more than vice versa.

The true sign of character shone through over the Auger incident. The NHL establishment went after Burrows and in my opinion tried to drive him out of the NHL. There is no doubt in my mind that what Burrows said about Auger was true. The smear campaign led by Ron MacLean was seen for what it was. Quite frankly the NHL has never meant the same to me. I am sure the on ice biase met by Burrows in the seasons since the incident has hurt more than MacLean's effort. All the same he did persevere and has had great seasons since then. He will probably never have his number retired but he is a ROH guarantee.

Edited by Boudrias
  • Upvote 4

Maybe Snepst...

Tiger was as good a player as Burrows. He was an NHL all-star and I think he scored 35 goals one year, and not on a line with the equivalent of Denis Savard and Dale Hawerchuk. His hockey skills were recognized around the league at about the same level as Burrows.

Alright, boys, calm down. I get the Burrows love and I think he is very valuable to this team right now. But let's not get carried away.

I know I didn't see someone say that the Sedin's benefitted from Burrows more than vice versa? The Sedin's have done a fantastic job turning mediocre/above average players into borderline all-stars. This includes Carter, Vrbata, and even Burrows. That statement is beyond ludicrous to me and I don't see how anyone can say that with a straight face.

Also, I guess technically you could say Burrows was one of the best Canucks ever, but there's a fine line of A players and B players. I think some of Burrows' top moments get in the way of that. No way you mention him in the same breath as Naslund, Bure, Daniel and Henrik, Kesler, etc.

This thread is going to get a lot of posts in the next 1-2 years. I don't see him being around next year with that contract.