The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Alright, boys, calm down. I get the Burrows love and I think he is very valuable to this team right now. But let's not get carried away.

I know I didn't see someone say that the Sedin's benefitted from Burrows more than vice versa? The Sedin's have done a fantastic job turning mediocre/above average players into borderline all-stars. This includes Carter, Vrbata, and even Burrows. That statement is beyond ludicrous to me and I don't see how anyone can say that with a straight face.

Also, I guess technically you could say Burrows was one of the best Canucks ever, but there's a fine line of A players and B players. I think some of Burrows' top moments get in the way of that. No way you mention him in the same breath as Naslund, Bure, Daniel and Henrik, Kesler, etc.

This thread is going to get a lot of posts in the next 1-2 years. I don't see him being around next year with that contract.

Kesler shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Naslund, Bure, Daniel and Henrik, etc. either.

• Upvote 2

Kesler shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Naslund, Bure, Daniel and Henrik, etc. either.

I disagree. The best two way center Vancouver has seen IMO.

If it's because of "disloyalty" then don't forget Bure.

Edit: I guess you could argue he is on the "B" level alongside Morrison, Betruzzi, Linden, but if that's the case, I have Burrows at the bottom of "B"

Edited by Sedin Brothers

Ha, was just going to search for this thread. Getting excited as hockey news starts circulating...was happy to read an update on Burr today. He plays tennis too....is there anything he can't do? Nope.

Alex Burrows is talking tennis. His punctuates points of enthusiasm with gestures of how to play a particular return because he’s got plenty of game.

The passionate link to the court is symbolic for the Vancouver Canucks winger. When he spent an hour rallying and then playing Canadian professional Philip Bester in early August at the Rogers Cup in Montreal, it was much more than another sports junkie fantasy. It successfully tested the offseason rehab of a fractured rib and dislocated rib cartilage suffered in the Stanley Cup playoffs last spring.

“It was probably the most pain I’ve ever felt,” Burrows recalled Tuesday following an informal team skate at the Britannia rink.

“I thought I could play through it, but when it cracked and moved, it wasn’t a good feeling. But the ambulance was there and I was given some morphine to numb the pain. I knew the rib was going to be fine, but at the end of May and into June, I couldn’t even golf because it was too sore.

“I was able to get into the gym by June 1 and do pull-downs with the weights instead of doing full pull-ups. With physio three to four times a week, I slowly progressed to where by July 1, I could pretty much do everything. And I’ve never really felt anything with the rib by skating or taking a slapshot.”

In the bizarre sequence, Burrows first appeared to be hurt in a fight with Kris Russell in Game 3 of the Western Conference quarterfinal in Calgary on April 19, but it actually occurred after the bout when he fell to the ice with a linesman on his back. And when Burrows took a shot in the morning skate before Game 4, the cracked rib shifted and the winger left the ice in considerable distress. He was taken to hospital for observation because doctors weren’t sure if there was also something wrong with the spleen or his lungs.

Burrows required six weeks of recovery and didn’t start working out until June and didn’t start skating until a month later. However, by August, there was added confidence to push hard because any tennis forehand or backhand with authority would significantly test the rehab, especially in trying to match strokes with the hard-hitting Bester.

“He gave me three serves and we were at 2-2 in the set and it was 30-0 for me, but he then killed me 6-2,” chuckled Burrows. “Those guys, they find ways to win those tight points. I feel like I have a lot of shots and I can move, but as soon as the other guy hits, you know exactly where you’ve got to be to set and hit it back.

“Once he started putting more spin on it or coming to you at the net, that’s when you realize just how good those guys are. They paint the lines.”

The spin the Canucks are putting on this season after a sobering six-game series loss to the Flames is that they’ve addressed toughness and puck-moving concerns with the acquisitions of Brandon Prust and Matt Bartkowski, respectively, and they believe Brandon Sutter is more than capable of centring the second line. Not that everybody agrees.

Oddsmakers at Bodog.ca have the Canucks a 7-1 shot to win the Pacific Division, a 25-1 shot to top the conference and a 66-1 long shot to win it all.

People tend to totally dismiss injuries and pretend they don't matter....they do. These aren't robots they're human beings and I'm so thankful to hear that Burr's able to fully bounce back. Really looking forward to watching another year of his determined play. Stoked.

• Upvote 2

Edit: I guess you could argue he is on the "B" level alongside Morrison, Betruzzi, Linden, but if that's the case, I have Burrows at the bottom of "B"

Different times, also apparently the Canucks organization didn't handle Bure properly... Agreeing to a contract and making it Canadian pay instead of American, not paying the signing bonus... some other things too apparently.

I think Bure had reason's to want out more than Kesler. That said I'm more upset that Kesler only had 1 target team on his trade-list more-so than wanting out of Vancouver. C'est la vie, life goes on.

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

Wow, that's seven years ago this was posted. Why wasn't it frozen seven years ago? What a silly thread.

He often is degraded with the suggestion the Twins carrying him. I have always thought that Burrows benefited the Twins more than vice versa.

Before being added to the Sedins line both Henrik and Daniel each put up more points in December alone than Burrows did in Oct, Nov, Dec, and January combined. Even during that lengthy losing streak the Sedins were producing while the rest of the team didn't. I've been a Burrows fan since he joined the team (and have his jersey), but it always makes me laugh when anybody says Burrows made the Sedins better. Quite the contrary. The Sedins elevated Burrows game he became a much better player because of them. He's still far more productive with the Sedins than without them while the Sedins put up points regardless of who is on their wing.

Wow, that's seven years ago this was posted. Why wasn't it frozen seven years ago? What a silly thread.

it's got a life of its own, getting better and better with age. as for burrows, if he can stay healthy you'll see yet another hardworking and clutch performing season. go back and look up the "streak breaker" for a reminder!

Although this one keeps getting dragged back up (and Clutch has long since disappeared) it's not as epic as the Bieksa version for number of pages. It was the biggest I've ever seen here.

Although this one keeps getting dragged back up (and Clutch has long since disappeared) it's not as epic as the Bieksa version for number of pages. It was the biggest I've ever seen here.

As far as CT goes it was....

The old "God" thread broke 1000 pages in Off-Topic before it got locked. (I blame Geeno... <_< )

I'm not sure what about your post makes my brain hurt more. The fact you called Trevor Linden a B tier or said Kesler is the best 2 way player in Canucks history... He's good, but not that good.

I'm not sure what about your post makes my brain hurt more. The fact you called Trevor Linden a B tier or said Kesler is the best 2 way player in Canucks history... He's good, but not that good.

Who do you propose IS the best 2 way if not Kesler? No other has won a Selke. No 2 way Dman surpasses him either....

Tiger was as good a player as Burrows. He was an NHL all-star and I think he scored 35 goals one year, and not on a line with the equivalent of Denis Savard and Dale Hawerchuk. His hockey skills were recognized around the league at about the same level as Burrows.

Fair call. Thanx for the response.

• Upvote 1

Love this guy, & the way he plays the game. That he called out the reffing corruption was brave, & something they'll never forget, I'm sure. Regardless, the rancid reffs & mealymouthed media could not side-swipe Burr's career..he rose above all that.

Last season(mid-point) the team was sliding into a late-Dec funk, & AB pulled them up by the boot straps. If memory serves, Willie put him with the twins more(& on the PP), & we started rolling again. Could tell WD came to fully appreciate what he had in this player-perhaps the biggest gaffe Torts committed(that's saying A LOT), was refusing to acknowledge this fact.

This is one of the most 'clutch' players who's ever donned the Van-uni, so ironically the initial poster's handle is one of Burr's most noticeable attributes.

MINUS 1165 is a hole almost as deep as MacLean's. Classic thread.

• Upvote 2

Action in this thread is great news. Hockey is here!

I sincerely think Burrows could be the vet JB tries to move if a prospect makes the team. If his ribs aren't 100% then he will be less effective in making space for the Sedins. We don't need more bottom 6 players, he won't fit there either if he can't battle in the corners. I want to believe he will be fine but I have my doubts about his effectiveness this season. I hope to be proven wrong.

• Upvote 1

lol @ how old this thread is. I read the first post and was like double you tea eff???? until I realized.

anywho, in a complete season Burr is a 45+ point player. His 4.5m salary is on par with that especially when you factor in his incredible defensive play.

If he plays 80 games he is capable of giving us 20+ goals and a 200ft game. In the last 7 years I only consider one (Torts of course) to be undeserving of his contract. He is the best with the Sedins, which is why we may see him start there. Willie knows how to maximize everyone's potential, and Vrbata can score anywhere.

If he was terrible defensively like, say, Lupul, I'd light the torch and run him out of town. But with today's contract and all he brings.. it might just be a bargain. Dorsett & Prust will help keep him healthy. His love for the team and city is undeniable. I am ok with keeping him. We have shipped out enough of the core to make room for rookies.

As far as CT goes it was....

The old "God" thread broke 1000 pages in Off-Topic before it got locked. (I blame Geeno... <_< )

I almost never go into the off-topic forum. The only one other than CT I look in is Armchair GM'ing and that's only once in a while for a good old belly laugh.

I almost never go into the off-topic forum. The only one other than CT I look in is Armchair GM'ing and that's only once in a while for a good old belly laugh.

See, now Armchair is a thread that I almost never visit. I just end up shaking my head at how many people believe (or seem to believe, anyway) that we can trade our unwanted garbage for guys like Ryan Johansen, or how most every proposal involves a half dozen players on each team changing places. :rolleyes:

Oh, did I mention how the salary cap never seems to matter?

See, now Armchair is a thread that I almost never visit. I just end up shaking my head at how many people believe (or seem to believe, anyway) that we can trade our unwanted garbage for guys like Ryan Johansen, or how most every proposal involves a half dozen players on each team changing places. :rolleyes:

Oh, did I mention how the salary cap never seems to matter?

Well I did say I only go there (and not often) for the belly laugh. :lol: