The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Hey Deb howsabout you stop putting words in my mouth. I NEVER SAID that Burr is the only guy to trash talk in the league. I just said that Burr is well known for his trash talk and I agree with you that trash talking is classless and, furthermore, I think all it does is wake up the opposition and make them play better. I guess you thought it was just fine for Burr and Kes to be talking trash about David Backes' wife (Kes' ex girlfriend) saying such classy things such as " she's a GOOD girl" (do I need to translate the meaning of this to you? Hope not). I didn't; I thought it was disgraceful and wouldn't have been surprised if Backes rammed his stick down Kesler's throat till it came out his behind (I would pay money to see the next face to face meeting between Kelly and Kesler. I hope she has a drink in her hand when it happens). I still like to believe that hockey is the classiest sport of all the major ones and crapola like trash talk embarrasses me as a hockey fan. If you MUST yap at the opposition at least be like Esa Tikkanen who at least left them rolling in the aisles.

P.S. I think you mean "pre game skate" where Auger says he told Burrows that "I'll be watching you"; understandable given the circumstances of the previous game where Burrows executed a gigantic dive that fooled Auger and cost Nashville the game. Of course you probably have an excuse for that as well just like you do for his biting, hair pulling etc.

"Like" he's the only one.   Didn't put words in your mouth.

If you're embarrassed by others' actions that's on you...you aren't responsible for others' actions so really shouldn't feel that way.  It's their deal.

And yes, pre game skate.  Been awhile and, really, we should be able to move past that but some are stuck there and attribute everything Burr does in the here and now to a time when a guy had it in for him.  And is long out of the picture.   Let it go.

We get it, Burr isn't your cup of tea.  Changes nothing.  There are 596 other threads that might interest you then because I certainly don't need to try to change your mind.  Don't care.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Upvote 2

P.S. I think you mean "pre game skate" where Auger says he told Burrows that "I'll be watching you"; understandable given the circumstances of the previous game where Burrows executed a gigantic dive that fooled Auger and cost Nashville the game. Of course you probably have an excuse for that as well just like you do for his biting, hair pulling etc.

Auger has had a number of controversies throughout the league and not just with Burrows. Auger didn't say "I'll be watching you". He said he was going to "get him back". There's a huge difference in language there and completely changes the intention on Auger's part.

• Upvote 2

Hey Deb howsabout you stop putting words in my mouth. I NEVER SAID that Burr is the only guy to trash talk in the league. I just said that Burr is well known for his trash talk and I agree with you that trash talking is classless and, furthermore, I think all it does is wake up the opposition and make them play better. I guess you thought it was just fine for Burr and Kes to be talking trash about David Backes' wife (Kes' ex girlfriend) saying such classy things such as " she's a GOOD girl" (do I need to translate the meaning of this to you? Hope not). I didn't; I thought it was disgraceful and wouldn't have been surprised if Backes rammed his stick down Kesler's throat till it came out his behind (I would pay money to see the next face to face meeting between Kelly and Kesler. I hope she has a drink in her hand when it happens). I still like to believe that hockey is the classiest sport of all the major ones and crapola like trash talk embarrasses me as a hockey fan. If you MUST yap at the opposition at least be like Esa Tikkanen who at least left them rolling in the aisles.

That's because nobody could understand a word coming out of his mouth. Oh, and c'mon thema, "Tell Kelly I said Hi" is still one of the funniest Canuck moments ever.

• Upvote 1

Auger has had a number of controversies throughout the league and not just with Burrows. Auger didn't say "I'll be watching you". He said he was going to "get him back". There's a huge difference in language there and completely changes the intention on Auger's part.

Actually he said neither; a tiny detail that didn't come out for a week was that the whole conversation was in French which makes exact translation difficult...

Edited by thema

There was as much "proof" that Auger said what Burrows alleges than there was that Burrows said to Tootoo. The big diff is that there would be no reason for Auger to say "I'm going to get you tonight" whereas Burrows is well known for his classless trash talking.

Love him as a player, not so crazy about him as a person.

you know him personally?  Then I trust your opinion of him.

• Upvote 1

Not true. But I like your use of hindsight to further bolster your opinion.

It was in reaction to a post that used hindsight as well. ie. They wished Burrows had never been a Canuck, imagining how much better it would have been. I was only using his/her same hindsight to project their vision.

And I stand by my contention that Henrik and Daniel would not have performed as well as they did during those award winning seasons if they were still auditioning yet another potential linemate every couple of months. With Burrows they found the perfect fit of skill, smarts, work ethic and tenacity. Not for a few weeks, or a few months, but for years of production. You can discount that all you want, but its definitely hindsight on your part if you are predicting that the Sedins would have done just as well (or better) with the continuing and perpetual revolving door linemate scenerio.

And yes, Burrows "slayed the dragon" with an unassisted goal, where he stole the puck and scored on his own. Burrows, with or without the twins, was a huge factor for the team's success during the height of the Sedin's peak years.