The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I don't think Burrows floats out there at all. I think he plays as hard as he can and always shows up.  I respect that in him.

I do think he has lost a bit of a speed  like Higgins and that a step slower both of these players have lost their effectiveness.

NHL is now a young guys league and 34 yr olds generally now are losing their spots due to speed issues...

Great career for Burrows.   Unfortunately, we signed him to one year too long of a contract. 

That's a comment I can accept...calling him "a plug".  Never. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

yet Linden believes Dorsett is a foundational piece 

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

The fact that Linden thinks this scares me. I mean his contract by Benning was bad enough. But this is exactly the problem with the Canucks. Overvaluing plugs like Dorsett as key players is a tradition here. There are probably 100 players available for a quarter of the cap hit who can take stupid penalties, hug guys for 1-2 min in a fight, and miss every breakaway chance they get. 

Edit: I love seeing him in our top 6 right now though. Makes losing almost a certainty. Name any other team in the NHL (or AHL) who would have Dorsett in their top 6. EvenToronto with their injuries wouldn't.

As for Burrows, he just needs to go. He has been a great soldier but sentimental attachment to every player (Burrows, Hamhuis, etc) for too long is what has held the Canucks back.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The fact that Linden thinks this scares me. I mean his contract by Benning was bad enough. But this is exactly the problem with the Canucks. Overvaluing plugs like Dorsett as key players is a tradition here. There are probably 100 players available for a quarter of the cap hit who can take stupid penalties, hug guys for 1-2 min in a fight, and miss every breakaway chance they get. 

Edit: I love seeing him in our top 6 right now though. Makes losing almost a certainty. Name any other team in the NHL (or AHL) who would have Dorsett in their top 6. EvenToronto with their injuries wouldn't.

As for Burrows, he just needs to go. He has been a great soldier but sentimental attachment to every player (Burrows, Hamhuis, etc) for too long is what has held the Canucks back.

I view "foundational" players differently than "key" players.  Building blocks...guys who go out every shift and give their all, even if sometimes it's over the top.  Guys whose passion and drive for the game will rub off on the young guys, who may come out with jump but lose motivation when hitting losing skids.  The foundation isn't the whole shebang....but it's what you want in place to secure things and build around.  Dorsett has some great qualities, one of which is I'll fight for this team...every single one of them.

Key players being the ones you hone in on, focus on.  I have no problem with Trev's thinking here and agree with it.  Dorsett brings it every shift and you want that as your team mentality.

Dorsett flies over the boards and into the play.  That's energy that we need.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's a comment I can accept...calling him "a plug".  Never. 

You will notice it's only a certain "type" of poster that uses terms like this to describe a player like burrows.  They never have anything quality to say, and is why I've started using the block feature so I can enjoy OUR forum again.  Felt like the trolls were taking over lol.  

Burrows has has had a fantastic career!  He was an absolute steal for so many years I'm more than happy carrying the extra salary towards the end of this contract.  Sure he may not produce at the level he used to, but he plays hard, is a good leader, and can stil, play a roll on his team

To call him a plug is just an asinine thing to say, but I'm not surprised with some of these posters.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

yet Linden believes Dorsett is a foundational piece 

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

I don't get your point?!  You were a guy who thought Bo-sang was the next Bobby Orr!

pretty sure you don't have the credibility to question Trevor's ability to evaluate a players role.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't call burrows a plug. His game has declined quite significantly, though. He's still a good asset to this team, but that value is to this team and this team alone.

If you look around the league you'll see maybe 20 other guys who play just like he does, so there's no real value in an alex burrows for other teams. On this team he plays his role and that's all you can really ask from the guy

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

with that money this team could have gotten two solid defencemen and got rid of some of the busts. OH well, Benning and Linden know best ha, just watch there town hall meeting of contradictions and lies lol

or stamkos

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I view "foundational" players differently than "key" players.  Building blocks...guys who go out ever shift and give their all, even if sometimes it's over the top.  Guys who's passion and drive for the game will rub off on the young guys, who may come out with jump but lose motivation when hitting losing skids. 

Key players being the ones you hone in on, focus on.  I have no problem with Trev's thinking here and agree with it.  Dorsett brings it every shift and you want that as your team mentality.

You also believe that Burrows steep on-ice decline and huge contract should have no bearing on whether or not the team does what is best for the team and cuts ties. Unfortunately Burrows is just not a very good player anymore and sooner or later it is time to let go of the emotion so that our team can get better.

So we want our young players to learn to take stupid penalties that completely destroy our momentum? I remember our management team thinking Prust was a great guy to defend the kids too - until he just refused to. 

Guys like Dorsett do not help teams win or even compete for cups unfortunately. His penchant for back breaking stupid penalties would only get magnified and more frequent in the playoffs - especially in a Canucks jersey.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You also believe

Lost me here.  How on earth do you know?

Push back....we used to cry out for that.  Dorsett at least is willing to try.  Untimely at times?  Yes, but at least we're not rolling over and taking it.  He has to reel some of it in, for sure.  But there's room to do that.  And he plays with jump and energy.  I can always count on that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Lost me here.  How on earth do you know?

Push back....we used to cry out for that.  Dorsett at least is willing to try.  Untimely at times?  Yes, but at least we're not rolling over and taking it.  He has to reel some of it in, for sure.  But there's room to do that.

Umm because every post you make about Burrows you say so?????

It really doesn't seem like anything but contrived pushback though from anyone on this team. The old school way of having one or two guys to "protect" your star players is long dead. The Canucks have been a day late and a dollar short (although Benning seems to at least sort of realize this). Players individually and collectively need to stand up for themselves and their team. That just has not been our culture nor will it until the Sedins, Hamhuis, etc are gone.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 1

So Burrows if bought out this summer would count 4.5 mil against the cap next year ?

If would make more sense to trade him to a team with cap space and Canucks retain  50% of his salary then , no ?

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Umm because every post you make about Burrows you say so?????

It really doesn't seem like anything but contrived pushback though from anyone on this team. The old school way of having one or two guys to "protect" your star players is long dead. The Canucks have been a day late and a dollar short (although Benning seems to at least sort of realize this). Players individually and collectively need to stand up for themselves and their team. That just has not been our culture nor will it until the Sedins, Hamhuis, etc are gone.

You are correct and debluvscanucks  is NOT. Dorsett has had one of the worst possession numbers in the league every year. He skates around and misses body checks and destroys any offensive push. He is terrible in his own end zone and his skating is pathetic. How can anyone want a player making almost $3M on your 4th line. It just goes to show us how misguided our GM is and fans like debluvscanucks  who don't have any proof to justify their point of view.

..... Also,  Burrows is finished and should retire.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, petrov said:

You are correct and debluvscanucks  is NOT. Dorsett has had one of the worst possession numbers in the league every year. He skates around and misses body checks and destroys any offensive push. He is terrible in his own end zone and his skating is pathetic. How can anyone want a player making almost $3M on your 4th line. It just goes to show us how misguided our GM is and fans like debluvscanucks  who don't have any proof to justify their point of view.

I go watch the games, not the numbers.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, petrov said:

-13.. Quality post from a quality poster? Lol 

as Deb said above.  It's not just numbers.  You kids and your analytics.. You need to realize, not only is it not the best way, but is FAR from the only way to asses a player. Give it up.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I go watch the games, not the numbers.

So you watch Dorsett bobble the puck every time he touches it and watch him run around his own end zone out of position and you watch him in his own end more often the offensive zone even though WD, for some unknown reason,  deploys him in the Ozone more  often than the Dzone? He is a terrible player by all known advanced stats and is far below a replacement player making league minimum. But you think its ok to play the him $3M.

...OK

It's too bad there aren't more roster spots on the team, because he remains one of if not the best penalty killer on the team. 

Unfortunately the other aspects of his game have given way to father time, and I would not bet on him being back after this summer. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So Burrows if bought out this summer would count 4.5 mil against the cap next year ?

If would make more sense to trade him to a team with cap space and Canucks retain  50% of his salary then , no ?

No it's 2/3 of the cap hit spread over twice the remaining term I believe

• Upvote 1