The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

If Burrows can't be traded in the off season, he'll be bought out. Gaunce can replace his role for a fraction of the cost and be just as effective, even in a rookie year. 

That 4.5 million dollars is much better being spent elsewhere.

Like on Okposo :P man did he look good tonight.

• Upvote 2

People keep talking about the 4.5 million as if he is being paid that amount for this year.

He isn't.... as has been said MANY MANY MANY times, he is being paid for the years when he scored 35 goals and was paid a pittance.

I think Burrows cannot be traded at this point, even if the Canucks eat part of his salary.

Unless he goes on a late season goalscoring and point spree I think he willed waived to Utica next year and assuming no one picks him up, he will become a player/coach.

Which would be a good place for him... he can contribute a lot there.

• Upvote 2

He's regressing, all those hardwork from the last 8 years are talking a toll on him now. He's not getting the loose puck as much and his plays is a very simple dump and chase type, not trying to make plays, and for me the most important thing is that he's not as composed as he use to when under pressure even for just a couple of seconds

31 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

its time to trade Burrows at the draft to see who is interested in him and get the best offer for him.   I don't know which team might want him.  Make sure he is available.  However, he has NTC which limits our option.

he will be available 

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

People keep talking about the 4.5 million as if he is being paid that amount for this year.

He isn't.... as has been said MANY MANY MANY times, he is being paid for the years when he scored 35 goals and was paid a pittance.

I think Burrows cannot be traded at this point, even if the Canucks eat part of his salary.

Unless he goes on a late season goalscoring and point spree I think he willed waived to Utica next year and assuming no one picks him up, he will become a player/coach.

Which would be a good place for him... he can contribute a lot there.

Burrows is not injured or fatigued from a long season.  The only conclusion we can come to is that, like Higgins but even more obvious, he is finished. Good career, great guy, cannot do it. 

And, with more forwards ready right now, and more to come in the Summer/Fall, he has absolutely no future as a regular.  And, ruthless as it sounds, not only do new players need his spot, the team also needs that money to go to ppl who earn it.  Imagine taking that money and getting a stop-gap good quality D: RFA/UFA in the Summer.  Until Pedan and maybe a drafted prospect from 2015/2016 comes along we will need a Sutter quality player, but one D who can mentor the guys.  A Tanev type but better with the puck in Offensive zone, or like Tanev but more physical -- either way.  Someone about the age of 27-29, signed for 3 or at most 4 yrs at Burr's salary or somewhat higher -- someone with Sutter's role but on D.  We have no core D at the moment: Hamhuis is getting old, Edler seems to have lost it, and Hutton is already at 28 minutes TOI.  Sbisa is okay, Bartkowski has moments, but a stalwart D?  We need one, and until Sergachev, Juolevi or (salivating here) Chychrun arrives via Draft Day 4 months from now, we better sign one.  Ergo, no money for sentimental has-beens.  I would like to think that this signing of a core D type should have/could have been done last Summer at the same time as the Sutter pick up, but I think D is harder to find, and even harder to sign.  Benning is no idiot, indeed he drafted D in Boston and Buffalo, so it must just be harder to identify and then sign/draft D.

• Upvote 1

On 2016-02-20 at 2:20 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Burrows  should only have 4 more games as a canuck in his career

4th line plugs are not needed at his age or contract

Plug?  You just discredited yourself there.  If ever there was a guy who WASN'T a plug, Burr would be that guy.

Is his productivity in the way of numbers diminishing?  Yes?  Is his role changing as part of that?  Yes.  Is his willingness to do whatever is asked of him, in any capacity diminishing?  Nope.  Burr is a total team player and will move aside without any rumbling so others can come through.  With that, it's part of the transition that we're going through and he definitely plays a part in that.  A big part.  Go to a game and see for yourself, that this guy is anything but a plug.  He's a dedicated member of the team.....one who can never be accused of not being all in.

I can admit that his time is winding down but he's a never say die player.  He's had some struggles (mostly in squeezing the stick too hard), but his game is one of a willingness to go to places where he'll be whacked and smacked to dig the puck out or screen so OTHERS can bask in the glory.  Selfless.

I would tell you what's not needed around here, but I'll let you figure it out.

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Plug?  You just discredited yourself there.  If ever there was a guy who WASN'T a plug, Burr would be that guy.

Is his productivity in the way of numbers diminishing?  Yes?  Is his role changing as part of that?  Yes.  Is his willingness to do whatever is asked of him, in any capacity diminishing?  Nope.  Burr is a total team player and will move aside without any rumbling so others can come through.  With that, it's part of the transition that we're going through and he definitely plays a part in that.  A big part.  Go to a game and see for yourself, that this guy is anything but a plug.  He's a dedicated member of the team.....one who can never be accused of not being all in.

I can admit that his time is winding down but he's a never say die player.  He's had some struggles (mostly in squeezing the stick too hard), but his game is one of a willingness to go to places where he'll be whacked and smacked to dig the puck out or screen so OTHERS can bask in the glory.  Selfless.

I don't agree with you .   4.5 mil per year for  4th line production is not helping our club win right now. 

16 pts for 4.5 million  and a  minus 12  plus/minus  -  may be the worst contract in the league. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't agree with you .   4.5 mil per year for  4th line production is not helping our club win right now. 

Yup.  Burr is a buy out.  I love him, but his time is done here.  We don't need him in any way.  As mentors we have the Twins, Hansen, Sutter, and Dorsett.  There is zero room for Burr.  Even if he was paid the minimum, we still would not need him.  I do t see this as a salary issue.  I see this as a the guy is not an NHL player anymore issue.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Are you saying that you think he might retire?

5 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Burrows. 4.5 

Dorsett about 2.5

and we wonder why our defence is bad lol

Burrows. 4.5 

Dorsett about 2.5

Higgins    2.5

Prust 2.5

Vrbata   5.0

16.5 Mil  for  ??????

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Burrows. 4.5 

Dorsett about 2.5

Higgins    2.5

Prust 2.5

Vrbata   5.0

16.5 Mil  for  ??????

with that money this team could have gotten two solid defencemen and got rid of some of the busts. OH well, Benning and Linden know best ha, just watch there town hall meeting of contradictions and lies lol

Just now, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

with that money this team could have gotten two solid defencemen and got rid of some of the busts. OH well, Benning and Linden know best ha, just watch there town hall meeting of contradictions and lies lol

Stanley cup teams are built from the back end out...........   Something for our club to consider.

18 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

16 pts for 4.5 million  and a  minus 12  plus/minus  -  may be the worst contract in the league. 

Production isn't limited to one's own points/stats.  I'm sure that part of the reason some of the young guys are finding their own is because they have mentors behind the scenes helping with confidence and allowing them to have the spotlight.  So what if you bring in others who start squabbling over ice time...have an "I" in team attitude? Then it creates a different deal...competitive element?, sure.  But it can create division in teams vs all being on the same page. Burr's a huge part of that....he demonstrates what it means to be a team player.  But you're looking for the "I" (he) in that.  His contract is what it is...people used to do this re Lu.  The NHL doles out huge contracts....just how it is.  But don't call someone a "plug" because they make X amount of dollars...attribute it to whether or not they're floating around out there.  Burr isn't guilty of that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Production isn't limited to one's own points/stats.  I'm sure that part of the reason some of the young guys are finding their own is because they have mentors behind the scenes helping with that.  Burr's a huge part of that....he demonstrates what it means to be a team player.  But your looking for the "I" (he) in that.  His contract is what it is...people used to do this re Lu.  The NHL doles out huge contracts....just how it is.  But don't call someone a "plug" because they make X amount of dollars...attribute it to whether or not they're floating around out there.  Burr isn't guilty of that.

I don't think Burrows floats out there at all. I think he plays as hard as he can and always shows up.  I respect that in him.

I do think he has lost a bit of a speed  like Higgins and that a step slower both of these players have lost their effectiveness.

NHL is now a young guys league and 34 yr olds generally now are losing their spots due to speed issues...

Great career for Burrows.   Unfortunately, we signed him to one year too long of a contract.