The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The ironborn most likely WILL be her fleet.  I see some kind of deal where the slavers provide assistance to the Iron Throne in exchange for assisting with the debt the current regime has racked up.

We don't know how the ironborn thing will resolve. Currently there's a civil war. If she runs into Yarah, things will be a little more civil. If she runs into Euron and his gang of frat boys, not so much. I'm guessing that Yarah will somehow take out Euron and gain the respect of the rest of the Ironborn in the process, so you might be correct.

Seemed really forced. Not a huge fan of that episode.

Benjen reappearing was poorly done. Loved the Sam Tarley bit though. That was my favorite part.

The intrigue of Mace and Jaime marching upon the sept was quashed by a questionable delivery. was pretty intense though.

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

Seemed really forced. Not a huge fan of that episode.

Benjen reappearing was poorly done. Loved the Sam Tarley bit though. That was my favorite part.

The intrigue of Mace and Jaime marching upon the sept was quashed by a questionable delivery. was pretty intense though.

While there have been cool events taking place, the whole season so far feels like just going through the motion. I can't quite pinpoint what made it cool in the past is no longer there.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, taxi said:

There almost has to be. If she rides into Westeros with 3 dragons, 100,000 Dothraki, the unsullied, etc... she is going to demolish everyone else. Maybe the Ironborn, who seem to act like a bunch of drunken frat boys, will intercept her fleet and inadvertently take half them out. 

Not only that, but (even though she doesn't yet realize it) she has the ultimate biological weapon...

All she has to do is send Jorah back to KL (he was granted a pardon, as you might remember) and have him shake hands with Tommen, Cersei, Jaime, (left handed of course) Mace and Olenna....

Goodness people, not every episode can hold the door for a white walker battle or something.

Perfectly fine episode. Loved the Tarly bit and love that Arya finally said @#$%-it to faceless nonsense and started kicking ass again. Welcome back Needle. I await the battle ::D

Could have done without another dragon/monologue-ing bit though. We get it. She's the kick ass mother of dragons, yadda, yadda... :bored:

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Goodness people, not every episode can hold the door for a white walker battle or something.

Perfectly fine episode. Loved the Tarly bit and love that Arya finally said @#$%-it to faceless nonsense and started kicking ass again. Welcome back Needle. I await the battle ::D

Could have done without another dragon/monologue-ing bit though. We get it. She's the kick ass mother of dragons, yadda, yadda... :bored:

I don't think she is done with it. It looked like she went back to her bed there with Needle. 

I'm guessing she is lying in wait, kills the girl, takes her face, and goes undercover at the Faceless temple. That way she still has access but can d what she wants. 

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I really want someone to stitch together all of Danys preachy little rants to see how much screen time was actually eaten up by her talking about how she is entitled to something. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theminister said:

I don't think she is done with it. It looked like she went back to her bed there with Needle. 

I'm guessing she is lying in wait, kills the girl, takes her face, and goes undercover at the Faceless temple. That way she still has access but can d what she wants. 

Yeah, there's a lot of possibilities, one of the many reasons I didn't find this episode 'boring'.

3 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'd find it a bit odd that she would be able to just take her face. It seems as though the whole removal and use of faces thing is a pretty involved process that involves both surgery and religious ritual. We haven't seen Arya get any training in that whatsoever. 

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'd like her to move on from there. Kill the girl, take her face, but she spent hundreds of nights sleeping in crap conditions repeating the names of people that she wants to kill. Its time to do something about it.

Anyway the crown gets Jaime to fight the mountain in Cersei's Trail by Combat?  That would be quite the conundrum.  Still wondering how branflake is going to fly like the 3 eyed raven said he would.  Hope he didn't mean by warging into a bird.

Edited by Tre Mac

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I find those episodes to actually be the worst of them all. I don't need battles to keep interested. But the last episode was one of the most forgettable of the series.

24 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Anyway the crown gets Jaime to fight the mountain in Cersei's Trail by Combat?  That would be quite the conundrum.  Still wondering how branflake is going to fly like the 3 eyed raven said he would.  Hope he didn't mean by warging into a bird.

He's obviously going to warg into a dragon that Jon Snow will end up riding into battle alongside his new bride, Daenerys.... just mindless speculation of course.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

tbh, I don't even know what some GoT fans want half the time. the show is almost entirely driven by plot, it's been like 6 seasons of leading up to something we all know is coming. What do people expect on each an episode by episode basis? it's seems like a whole lot of people would have been much happier if the entire series was only about 3 or 4 seasons long, with most of the politicking and "character development" cut out. or if the show was solely centered around one character. 

i don't get the Sam hate, personally. but i guess we all have our favourites.

I definitely have my issues with the show, but even a "boring" episode of GoT is still better than anything else on TV right now, by leaps and bounds IMO. 

WITH THAT SAID, I just started re-watching the entire series (I'm also reading the first book, again) and I cannot believe how weak the early episodes are. They feel so incredibly thin, rushed, and under-produced compared to recent seasons. Sure, they have some (instantly) iconic scenes and stuff, but man, the CGI and greenscreen looks 30 years dated already. Kinda disappointing.

Funny, because when I first read the book, I thought the first season was way better. Now I think the book is better than the season.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

tbh, I don't even know what some GoT fans want half the time. the show is almost entirely driven by plot, it's been like 6 seasons of leading up to something we all know is coming. What do people expect on each an episode by episode basis? it's seems like a whole lot of people would have been much happier if the entire series was only about 3 or 4 seasons long, with most of the politicking and "character development" cut out. or if the show was solely centered around one character. 

i don't get the Sam hate, personally. but i guess we all have our favourites.

I definitely have my issues with the show, but even a "boring" episode of GoT is still better than anything else on TV right now, by leaps and bounds IMO. 

WITH THAT SAID, I just started re-watching the entire series (I'm also reading the first book, again) and I cannot believe how weak the early episodes are. They feel so incredibly thin, rushed, and under-produced compared to recent seasons. Sure, they have some (instantly) iconic scenes and stuff, but man, the CGI and greenscreen looks 30 years dated already. Kinda disappointing.

Funny, because when I first read the book, I thought the first season was way better. Now I think the book is better than the season.

I think they've probably had their budget increased as the series has progressed. I doubt anyone could have predicted how popular it would be. (Even people like me who read the books long before they were made into a TV series)

57 minutes ago, Monty said:

I find those episodes to actually be the worst of them all. I don't need battles to keep interested. But the last episode was one of the most forgettable of the series.

Some battles have been very well done. The show has done a good job of focusing on the drama in the battles and not just mindless action. 

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think they've probably had their budget increased as the series has progressed. I doubt anyone could have predicted how popular it would be. (Even people like me who read the books long before they were made into a TV series)

Definitely, the US ratings for the first season hovered around 2 million per episode, now they're around 7-8. i'm not trying to be super critical or anything, just something I noticed. even the first few episodes of the Sopranos are super weak (the punches sound like they're out of an 80s action flick)

I'm not an super fan (ie. never read the books). I watch the episodes and enjoy them all and feel they are always worth watching.

I guess for me, the show came to an ass grinding halt ever since Tyrion's court trial; which subsequently for me, was my favourite episode.