The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

4 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

agree with most of the above. the season does feel extremely rushed. sometimes i don't mind, other times i find it a bit silly. but this show has always been about plot, not lore, not culture, whatever. so it's not exactly surprising. when, or if, they make a spin off I hope they do more to really explore the world. this is why, I think, shows like Deadwood and the Sopranos are way, way better--each episode, more or less, is a single event that just helps build the viewer's understanding of the character and his/her experience

this would be very difficult for GoTs to do because there are SO many characters and definitive, unavoidable major plot points that dictate everything. but again, it does give me hope for a spin off because the world IS there, the lore IS there, it just isn't explored thoroughly, and exploring it now wouldn't make any sense

I disagree. Not only do I think Tyrion will survive, but in the end I think he'll be the unifying piece that brings the entire "game" to an end. Iron throne? maybe. But I think he'll be there in the end. It's true he's had some blunders lately, but who hasn't? and without Tyrion being there to throw cold water on Dany every time she's faced with a terrible decision, where would she be without him? His blunders are tiny compared to the potentially catastrophic, emotionally-driven decisions Dany seems to want to make in each episode

I have no idea how it'll get here, but I'm convinced Jamie will kill Cersei, Dany will die, Jon Snow will abdicate, and Bran will live at peace in the way, way north

and with that note, is anyone else loving Bran's character? I know some people find it boring or whatever, and blah blah blah hold the door. But Bran's "three eyed raven" plot is really fascinating to me. Wish there was more scenes of him, but I'm not exactly sure it would make for riveting television

Yeah I like what they've done with Bran. In becoming the Three Eyed Raven he's basically grown detached from reality and isn't really 'Bran' anymore. I do hope he gets more screen time in the next few episodes and we get to hear more about what he's seen

I could see Dany dying by the end of the show for sure. They've heavily implied she can't ever have children so I definitely don't think she's going to have the Iron Throne and continue the Targaryen dynasty or anything like that.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the seven kingdoms just dissolves into independent kingdoms that rule over themselves. 

21 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Good points, especially about Jorah. That was way too anticlimactic, especially with Sam's punishment just being "write out these old scrolls that are wasting away". 

Something tells me those 'old scrolls, wasting away' will likely have some white walker, dragon glass etc info in them...

Agree on the comments re: the episodes feeling rushed. Symptom of the shortened seasons for sure but it does take away from what made GOT so good in the first place. The nuance, the intricate 'table setting' etc. Feels more 'soap opera' with the pace and nuance-lacking dramatic plot point to dramatic plot point.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I can't help but think that Varys is leaking battle plans to Cersei somehow.

It's a possibility. It's also possible that Yara is the Mole. The fact that Euron found them so easily makes you wonder. Although Dragonstone and KL are relatively close, finding a particular ship in the open sea, in the dark, is a pretty fair accomplishment, even for a seasoned pirate like Euron.

I don't really think that's the case, but I'm just throwing out possible scenarios.

There are a couple of other interesting developments that have been overshadowed by "larger events":

Now that Jorah is cured (and apparently on his way to rejoin Dany's crew) perhaps he will play a part in getting Jon and Dany on the same page? He certainly owes Sam "bigly" and Sam and Jon are besties, so....

Also, I'm wondering if Marwyn wasn't being coy with Sam when he mentioned "reward". Ostensibly, Sam has to copy those scrolls as punishment, but I'm wondering if they might contain some helpful WW information as well.....

Edit: and as I typed this, I see that J.R. had the same thought.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Something tells me those 'old scrolls, wasting away' will likely have some white walker, dragon glass etc info in them...

Agree on the comments re: the episodes feeling rushed. Symptom of the shortened seasons for sure but it does take away from what made GOT so good in the first place. The nuance, the intricate 'table setting' etc. Feels more 'soap opera' with the pace and nuance-lacking dramatic plot point to dramatic plot point.

The "punishment" was a reward. The old guy knows it, Sam will find out.  imo

Edited by clam linguine
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

The "punishment" was a reward. The old guy knows it, Sam will find out.  imo

Naw...I think they'll devout a solid 10 minutes of screen time to Sam copying some useless transcripts. He'll run out of ink at one point. He'll break a pen tip. The Maester will scold him for having bad hand writing. I can't wait. Riveting television. 

1 minute ago, taxi said:

Naw...I think they'll devout a solid 10 minutes of screen time to Sam copying some useless transcripts. He'll run out of ink at one point. He'll break a pen tip. The Maester will scold him for having bad hand writing. I can't wait. Riveting television. 

Or next week's episode will open with Sam walking through field full of broken White Walkers all thanks to his copying punishment.

Thought Sunday's episode was the strongest this season so far (small sample size).

However, it also contained THE WORST bit of unnecessary and out of place dialogue in the entire series. (Finger in the... line). I honestly just lowered my head and said to my wife, "Did they hire Seth Rogen to throw in a bit of completely useless, teenage humour dialogue into this episode?"

• Upvote 2

Olenna Tryell went out like a boss.

Im guessing Cersi will use Tyrell wealth to pay back the Iron Bank of Bravos.

Why didn't Jon just ask Dany to fly one of her dragons to the wall to see for herself?

Just now, Huxley said:

Why didn't Jon just ask Dany to fly one of her dragons to the wall to see for herself?

Have a feeling that gold wont make it's way back to KL in one piece 

8 minutes ago, Huxley said:

Jon isn't very good at getting his point across. It's one of the more maddening things about his character. He somehow couldn't relate the concept to the rest of the Night's Watch that everyone who dies on the other side of the Wall ends up in the WW army.

It's doubtful that Dany would have agreed to go "see for herself" if asked, but even had she done so, she'd have been talked out of it by her advisers. As Missandei (quite rightly) pointed out, it would only take one arrow....

3 minutes ago, Huxley said:

That's true, Jon is certainly no silver tongued devil!

His whole trip was pretty ridiculous actually. He goes there totally leaving himself at the mercy of an aspiring Targaryan ruler. He doesn't bring anyone to back up his story about the White Walkers. He then acts totally shocked that in the atmosphere of a kingdom wide war for succession  a major competing force just doesn't want to abandon everything and help him defeat the WW. 

Sansa would have made the much better leader. Jon is a great commander in battle, but is obviously incapable of leading outside of battle. 

2 minutes ago, taxi said:

His whole trip was pretty ridiculous actually. He goes there totally leaving himself at the mercy of an aspiring Targaryan ruler. He doesn't bring anyone to back up his story about the White Walkers. He then acts totally shocked that in the atmosphere of a kingdom wide war for succession  a major competing force just doesn't want to abandon everything and help him defeat the WW. 

Sansa would have made the much better leader. Jon is a great commander in battle, but is obviously incapable of leading outside of battle. 

I would agree if it wasn't for the Dragon glass. End of the day if they stand any chance against the WW he had to make a trip in an effort to mine it. Trying to convince her to join him was more of a longshot he may have been hoping worked (maybe in the off chance her or one of her advisers had seen/did believe in the undead).

Just now, FS91 said:

I would agree if it wasn't for the Dragon glass. End of the day if they stand any chance against the WW he had to make a trip in an effort to mine it. Trying to convince her to join him was more of a longshot he may have been hoping worked (maybe in the off chance her or one of her advisers had seen/did believe in the undead).

He could have gone about it very differently. It's only because Tyrion convinced Dany that he accomplished anything. Then again, it was Tyrion who invited him, so you may be right that he had to make the trip in the way he did. 

7 minutes ago, taxi said:

This is why good leaders surround themselves with capable people and listen to their advice. (A certain orange skinned "leader" doesn't seem to get this) Jon has Davos, but he's somewhat tainted by the fact that he supported Stannis' claim and is not from a noble house.

Wyman Manderly, or Yohn Royce would possibly be more effective support, but first Jon has to convince them that he knows what he is doing.