The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Next season will probably delve a lot deeper into the history and lore of Westoros, as hinted by the sudden appearance of the "fireball girl", who I believe is a child of the forest.

She said she is one of the Children of the Forest. No need to 'white' that out.

• Upvote 1

Do it. Book 3 is where you will see how the books are superior to the show.

But you may want to start from Book 1 to 'get' the feel for all the details and the mysteries surrounding Ned's past.

"Different" is not the same as "superior". Books and TV are extraordinarily different media, and necessarily have to focus on different things, as well as approach stories from different angles. Don't be one of those snobs who says that "the book is always better", because it's not true. They're just different.

In fact, it's probably best just to consider the book and the TV show as two entirely different stories. That's what I do.

the missing dragon is probably the one from the vision.

Drogon is the missing dragon. It could be but the vision had no evidence that it was for sure. Bran saw a combination of future and past. Aegon conquered the 7 kingdoms with Balerion who was also a black dragon who constantly had his shadow referenced for its size when flying over cities.

But yes it could be Drogon. But if it is it's still a ways away as it was much bigger than Drogon is now.

Next season will probably delve a lot deeper into the history and lore of Westoros, as hinted by the sudden appearance of the "fireball girl", who I believe is a child of the forest.

Yeah as the other guy said that is already confirmed. Though I am unsure if next season will be history or lore based. Most of it was already mentioned in the show and the earlier DVD and Blu Ray sets had narrated segments by the actors on the history and lore of Westeros. They may brush over it some but a lot of it is already released knowledge.

The show did a pretty poor job of explaining who the Children of the Forest were leading up to this, so it makes sense that most people are confused. In the books it was a pretty deal when they show up.

This is right off the GOT wiki page so no spoilers here:

The Children of the Forest are a mysterious non-human race that were reportedly the original inhabitants of the continent of Westeros. They were already living in Westeros when the First Men migrated to the continent, 12,500 years before Robert's Rebellion.[1]

According to legend they were last seen during the Andal invasion six thousand years before the War of the Five Kings. In the present day, most believe that they are simply the stuff of myth and never existed at all. Even the few that do believe they once existed, such as Maester Luwin or Ned Stark, believe that they have long since gone extinct.

Also they aren't actual "children", they are older and wiser than anything else in the world, they're called children because of their appearance.

Edited by Beluga Whale

Loved the finale (and the entire season). Interested to see who'll be the new hand now that there's a power vacuum after Tywin's death. Nice to see Bran's storyline get more interesting, and Arya finally get free of "protectors". Not a huge fan of the Stannis character, but it might be more interesting now that he can actually do things again.

Probably going to start reading the books now; hopefully the show hasn't spoiled them too much.

I thought this episode was fn awesome, but from the sounds of it.. I should start reading the books. Anyone know where I would start to align myself with the tv show?

Hahaha

You should read it all. You learn a ton more about the previous wars and more backstory for the characters. It's worth it.

My weak eyes have been well lubricated and I can finally see the keyboard! So I now have the balls to attempt to post on CDC. Review time, and I apologize if it is ranty but a girl loves her books.

- this episode overall has been what I had anticipated, and given that it made a lot of the filler shet earlier in the season intolerable. I loved the bit we of Mance this episode, can you imagine if we were given some glimpses of him earlier in place of whores, Craster's Keep, Marge or Gilly? It's unfortunate, but much like I felt the audience deserved to see more of Oberyn before his mind got blown I feel the same of many characters that have been sidelined to give useless filler scenes some more screen time. I feel the same about the Children of the Forest lore

the biggest disparity between fans that only watch the show and those that have read the books is how much deeper the lore and history in the book is -- the show tried to make up for the emptiness with bonus features so I hope most posters here checked it out. Or better yet, just read the books...you can safely finish till book 3 and be caught up with the show.

- Stannis is the ???? man. I hope it was foreshadowed well enough for viewers that it didn't feel too cheap or convenient.

- Bran story: easily the worst storyline this season, what on earth was the Pirates of the Caribbean zombies and the magic zombies? Not only was everything off in execution, it feels so empty because Jojen/Meera were never explained well aside from "We are looking for you, Bran Stark", the Children of the Forest and Northern folklore are almost absent.

- Emilia Clarke has slowly lost her ability to act as well as her story got progressively worse. Her crying scene was painful to watch

- The best scene of the episode is a tie imo between the Hound dying (RIP) and Cersei losing her crap. These two divergences from the book were great. I did not expect the Brienne/Hound altercation at all and it was a good example of tweaking storylines to suit the medium for convenience. I have never despised Arya more than I did in that scene, cold.

- Finally, the Tywin death.

I don't know what the show writers make of viewers, perhaps they think our memory is too weak to tie some backstories together when something big happens? They completely changed Tyrion's motivations for going on a murderous rampage and it breaks my heart (srsly) because it could have been so much more powerful.

it simply makes no sense within the show universe, the concept of Tyrion killing his own father because he hates him for sentencing Tyrion to a crime he didn't commit. Did he forget that the Lannisters went to war when Tyrion got kidnapped by Lady Catelyn? This event was supposed to be a result of decades of neglect, guilt and lies between Tywin, Jaime and Tyrion and they fracked it up by making it so "current", if that makes sense. It was almost a rehash of that scene where Tywin slaps Tyrion with words when he asks for Casterly Rock.

in the book, Jaime tells Tyrion as they are about to part that he owes it to him to tell the truth about Tysha, Tyrion's wife for a night. She was in fact genuinely head over heels for him, and the story of her being a prostitute who was brought to lose his virginity was a lie the whole time. Tyrion loses his mind hearing that, and he instead takes a detour in the tunnel to get to the Tower of the Hand. There, he asks Tywin what happened to Tysha to which he replies "She went wherever whores go". Then the crossbow starts to fire.

Tysha story: http://youtu.be/bGtIgaWapoc

frack, why mess with that?

Ugh

Definitely agree about Mance, that was the best part of the episode for me, and it gave shred of hope for the storyline at the Wall next season.

After I watched Bran's scene again I realized it wasn't great. So many nitpicks..the battle against the wights was pretty cool but it seemed like something out of a video game. I was excited to see the CotF but the fireballs were a little bit much. Summer showed up like 30 seconds after the fighting started, what was he doing? And Bran seemed completely unphased by Jojen's death. I really liked the dialog with the Three-Eyed-Crow though.

I gave up on show Daenerys at the beginning of the season. Hey, at least Kit turned his acting around.

I was prepared to redeem most of this season if they got Tyrion's scene right, but of course it was butchered.

Imo all of these changes are D&D trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible. Unfortunately most of the viewers are casual fans who would hardly remember things from previous seasons (also why they decided to drop the Bran's assassin plot), so they try and make things as simply as possible, which drains some of the quality away.

Edited by Beluga Whale

in the book, Jaime tells Tyrion as they are about to part that he owes it to him to tell the truth about Tysha, Tyrion's wife for a night. She was in fact genuinely head over heels for him, and the story of her being a prostitute who was brought to lose his virginity was a lie the whole time. Tyrion loses his mind hearing that, and he instead takes a detour in the tunnel to get to the Tower of the Hand. There, he asks Tywin what happened to Tysha to which he replies "She went wherever whores go". Then the crossbow starts to fire.

Tysha story

Ugh

Damn, that clicks so well, too bad they were stupid.

- Finally, the Tywin death.

I don't know what the show writers make of viewers, perhaps they think our memory is too weak to tie some backstories together when something big happens? They completely changed Tyrion's motivations for going on a murderous rampage and it breaks my heart (srsly) because it could have been so much more powerful.

it simply makes no sense within the show universe, the concept of Tyrion killing his own father because he hates him for sentencing Tyrion to a crime he didn't commit. Did he forget that the Lannisters went to war when Tyrion got kidnapped by Lady Catelyn? This event was supposed to be a result of decades of neglect, guilt and lies between Tywin, Jaime and Tyrion and they fracked it up by making it so "current", if that makes sense. It was almost a rehash of that scene where Tywin slaps Tyrion with words when he asks for Casterly Rock.

Tysha story: http://youtu.be/bGtIgaWapoc

Ugh

Because the Tysha story played a very small role in the show. It would have been strange and underwhelming for Tyrion to use that as an excuse to kill his father.

Shae, on the other hand, played a very prominent role in the show and also served a similar purpose to Tyrion (i.e., Tyrion loved her). So, instead, the writers chose to use the Shae storyline as kind of a proxy for the Tysha storyline, which I thought worked pretty well.

Edited by literaphile

i thought tyrion's scene was great, and I could easily tell he did it for the years of neglect and hatred from his father always wanting him dead. the sentence/Shae turning on him was merely the metaphorical straw breaking the camel's back. I thought this was well portrayed.

I have no clue who Tysha is, and her being brought up in that series of events would have been completely idiotic. was she even mentioned beyond a throw away line? I don't think they even mentioned her by name, and if they did it sure didn't stand out... at all.

Edited by avelanch

i thought tyrion's scene was great, and I could easily tell he did it for the years of neglect and hatred from his father always wanting him dead. the sentence/Shae turning on him was merely the metaphorical straw breaking the camel's back. I thought this was well portrayed.

I have no clue who Tysha is, and her being brought up in that series of events would have been completely idiotic. was she even mentioned beyond a throw away line? I don't think they even mentioned her by name, and if they did it sure didn't stand out... at all.

Agreed. The Shae and Tyrion storey line is possibly my favourite of the show. I am hoping next season we will find out Shae was forced to testify against Tyrion, as I really want to still like her plus the regret of killing her will add let another layer to Tyrions charector.

that's what i thought but i wasn't sure. I know they showed the pin of the hand of the king on the robe on the wall, but just wanted to make sure.

I think she also said Tywins name in her sleep. That being said I still think she was forced into it somehow and we will discover she loved Tyrion along.

Lol settle down. She was mentioned in the show quite a bit when Tywin had initially forbade Tyrion from seeing Shae.

• Upvote 1