The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Watched all 4 episodes tonight. So far I am not disappointed at all with how this season is going. The ending to the 4th episode has me freaking out a little right now and those who have watched it will know what I am talking about.

I did shoot myself in the foot a bit though as now I have to wait over a month for a new episode to come out.

Yeah a little.

I was trying real hard to remember everything. I binged watched all of this a few months ago...watched all the seasons and episodes in about 3 weeks, was fantastic. Don't like this wait a week for the next episode bit.

Small Spoiler below:

Good on John Snow

All good episodes? Yeah right.

The producers know they're running out of book real fast, and it's showing in the end product. The pacing has really slowed down, and now that we know they've caught up, it's easy to notice filler scenes.

An example: a wide shot that circles around Daenerys for 30 seconds. That's time-wasting, and it adds up real fast.

i haven't watched all 4 yet so i can't comment on the pacing, but GRRM has already told HBO how the story will play out. they don't need book, they already know. the show will conclude before the book series does

Yeah the producers have been given the green light to go ahead of the books. But that's not the issue.

Episode one spoiler ahead.

The writing is subpar. In the past I don't think they would've spent that much time in the past level of quality with Jon Snow trying to hopelessly convince Mance to bend the knee, for instance.

Some of the scenes are not well directed. One that particularly sticks out is the one that re-introduces Lancel and Keven Lannister. They just kind of walk into the frame and start talking like they are show regulars that people see everyday. Having said that I'm glad to see Keven Lannister back in to the show.

Some of the editing is also blunt and abrupt. Like the one that introduces Brienne and Pod. And the whole hokey thing with Sansa and Littlefinger riding past them. Like, that's so cheesy.

Yeah the producers have been given the green light to go ahead of the books. But that's not the issue.

Episode one spoiler ahead.

The writing is subpar. In the past I don't think they would've spent that much time in the past level of quality with Jon Snow trying to hopelessly convince Mance to bend the knee, for instance.

Some of the scenes are not well directed. One that particularly sticks out is the one that re-introduces Lancel and Keven Lannister. They just kind of walk into the frame and start talking like they are show regulars that people see everyday. Having said that I'm glad to see Keven Lannister back in to the show.

Some of the editing is also blunt and abrupt. Like the one that introduces Brienne and Pod. And the whole hokey thing with Sansa and Littlefinger riding past them. Like, that's so cheesy.

that thing that happens at the end of episode 1, definitely did not happen in the books. Too bad really.

I find a lot of the dialog in the show has become kind of stale and mostly unnecessary. And as a result really don't care what happens in most of story lines.

I noticed a pattern that I tend to like the dialog most when 2 people are travelling together. ie Arya & the Hound, Jaime & Brienne, Tyrion & Bronn, Tyrion & anyone else. Weird. It's the exact opposite of how I felt about the Lord of Rings movies.

This Game of Thrones could have been avoided. If the Starks chose Arya to marry Joffery instead of Sansa.

Joffrey: "Arya, go make me a sandwich."

Arya: "OK. Let me go grab my sword."

;)

I don't have a working PVR for the TV in my bedroom, so I was debating with myself whether or not I should risk watching the show in the living room while my grandmother was there...

Lost that gamble badly, lol. Made a lot of use of the fast forward though. Was a probably a good situation to find out how to use whatever variant of HBO Go there is in Canada.

I thought the episode was alright, seemed like a decent set up for things to come. Seems like the complaining is coming from people who have torrented all of the leaked episodes, so that doesn't exactly sound promising in what is to come. But based on the one I've seen, it seemed reasonable enough.

Edited by g_bassi13

All good episodes? Yeah right.

The producers know they're running out of book real fast, and it's showing in the end product. The pacing has really slowed down, and now that we know they've caught up, it's easy to notice filler scenes.

An example: a wide shot that circles around Daenerys for 30 seconds. That's time-wasting, and it adds up real fast.

To each their own. I enjoyed them.

I don't have a working PVR for the TV in my bedroom, so I was debating with myself whether or not I should risk watching the show in the living room while my grandmother was there...

Lost that gamble badly, lol. Made a lot of use of the fast forward though. Was a probably a good situation to find out how to use whatever variant of HBO Go there is in Canada.

I thought the episode was alright, seemed like a decent set up for things to come. Seems like the complaining is coming from people who have torrented all of the leaked episodes, so that doesn't exactly sound promising in what is to come. But based on the one I've seen, it seemed reasonable enough.

Ep 3 picks up, IMO. So don't worry.

I thought the episode was alright, seemed like a decent set up for things to come. Seems like the complaining is coming from people who have torrented all of the leaked episodes, so that doesn't exactly sound promising in what is to come. But based on the one I've seen, it seemed

I watched all 4 and I enjoyed them. Don't forget that a couple people here have read the books and as with most people who read a franchises books and then watch the movies and shows about them, they like to act "holier than thou" about said movie(s) or tv shows. Basically like this, "Well the books told that certain part of the story ten times better! I could even tell what the character had for lunch because the author explained the smell of a fart so well! The tv show DID NOT let me know the same thing!".

Then there are those who haven't read the GoT books, and are just looking for a quicker more exciting pace or something along those lines.

Me personally, I'm just glad that the cripple kid story line isn't in the tv show this season. Once they started their wandering around, that story line got very boring.

I watched all 4 and I enjoyed them. Don't forget that a couple people here have read the books and as with most people who read a franchises books and then watch the movies and shows about them, they like to act "holier than thou" about said movie(s) or tv shows. Basically like this, "Well the books told that certain part of the story ten times better! I could even tell what the character had for lunch because the author explained the smell of a fart so well! The tv show DID NOT let me know the same thing!".

Then there are those who haven't read the GoT books, and are just looking for a quicker more exciting pace or something along those lines.

Me personally, I'm just glad that the cripple kid story line isn't in the tv show this season. Once they started their wandering around, that story line got very boring.

TBH, I've read the books more than once, (I bought the first three when they were originally released back in the mid-90s) but it hasn't really really diminished my enjoyment of the series at all.

Like all situations where a book is taken to the screen, there are things about the book that I prefer, but when you look at the series for what it is instead of comparing it to the books, it's extremely enjoyable, IMHO.

TBH, I've read the books more than once, (I bought the first three when they were originally released back in the mid-90s) but it hasn't really really diminished my enjoyment of the series at all.

Like all situations where a book is taken to the screen, there are things about the book that I prefer, but when you look at the series for what it is instead of comparing it to the books, it's extremely enjoyable, IMHO.

Exactly. You don't fall into the "book snob" category. Some people want movies or shows that echo the books in every meaningful way. The problem is, they would be the first ones to complain that the movie was 12 hours long or that each TV episode was 4 hours. Oh, that movie/tv episode just draaaaaggged onnnn for 12 hours, they should have cut it down to 2!!

Exactly. You don't fall into the "book snob" category. Some people want movies or shows that echo the books in every meaningful way. The problem is, they would be the first ones to complain that the movie was 12 hours long or that each TV episode was 4 hours. Oh, that movie/tv episode just draaaaaggged onnnn for 12 hours, they should have cut it down to 2!!

I wouldn't mind that one bit for GoT.

• Upvote 1

FWIW I thought the first four episodes were really good. From a bookreading perspective I thought the essence of the series has been captured, even with the cuts and changes. I thought the wall, arya and cersei's stories were done particularly well. Dany too actually.

really enjoyed the first two, didn't care as much for the third (although it had a couple of great scenes). will watch #4 tomorrow.

Wow our opinions are complete opposite. It's like I can't believe they wrote that horse crap for ep 1 and 2, but 3 is my favourite so far.

FWIW I thought the first four episodes were really good. From a bookreading perspective I thought the essence of the series has been captured, even with the cuts and changes. I thought the wall, arya and cersei's stories were done particularly well. Dany too actually.

I thought what happened at the end of the 4th episode actually broke the essence of ASOIAF a bit.

Of course Grey Worm and Selmy didn't die. If that scene was to take place in the books, they would both be dead.

But the Cercei vs Margaery storyline is really great on the show. Lena Headey is doing such a great job.

Wow our opinions are complete opposite. It's like I can't believe they wrote that horse crap for ep 1 and 2, but 3 is my favourite so far.

what about 1&2 was horse crap to you? what about ep 3 was good? use spoiler tags for everyone else tho pls

The books and show at this point don't exist in the same universe.

Book readers know the end product but different things happen to different characters on the way there

Case and point, Sansa going to Winterfell to marry Ramsay rather than fake Arya. I can only speculate that Stannis will liberate Winterfell

The books and show at this point don't exist in the same universe.

Book readers know the end product but different things happen to different characters on the way there

Case and point, Sansa going to Winterfell to marry Ramsay rather than fake Arya. I can only speculate that Stannis will liberate Winterfell

That whole plot doesn't make sense for Littlefinger: (ep 4 spoiler)

Why marry Sansa to the Boltons? Does he really expect Sansa to stick a knife into Roose or Ramsey? Or even help Stannis in anyway shape or form? If he thinks Stannis will win like he said, then why not just wait til Stannis defeats the Boltons before sending Sansa back to Winterfell? How will Sansa exact her revenge exactly? And now Cercei is summoning Baelish, he is one Bolton raven away from having his limbs ripped apart by Cercei. Roose Bolton may just send that raven for fun. And why would Littlefinger go to King's Landing anyways? If Winterfell is out of the Lannister's reach than he can just easily ignore Cercei's recall.

This plot makes for great television but it makes no sense on every level if one actually think about it. The only conclusion is that Littlefinger is indeed trying to get rid of Sansa, but that doesn't make sense either.

Edited by Hugor Hill