The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Sucks that both Raonic and Pospisil will miss the Davis Cup tie with injuries. More or less confirms what I suspected earlier: Raonic wasn't 100% at Wimbledon. He even admitted that he rushed his comeback. Thankfully it's just fluid in his foot and not any further damage to that nerve.

Good effort by Vasek, even if it ended in straight sets. Played as well as he could have. The time violation was BS. If that's the standard, then Nadal should be getting called for it every match. Obviously that doesn't happen.

Sucks that both Raonic and Pospisil will miss the Davis Cup tie with injuries. More or less confirms what I suspected earlier: Raonic wasn't 100% at Wimbledon. He even admitted that he rushed his comeback. Thankfully it's just fluid in his foot and not any further damage to that nerve.

Good effort by Vasek, even if it ended in straight sets. Played as well as he could have. The time violation was BS. If that's the standard, then Nadal should be getting called for it every match. Obviously that doesn't happen.

I don't know who's #4 on Canada's depth chart, but I Frank Dancevic will likely be the top guy. I wonder if they'll have Nestor playing singles as well as doubles.... :unsure:

I don't know who's #4 on Canada's depth chart, but I Frank Dancevic will likely be the top guy. I wonder if they'll have Nestor playing singles as well as doubles.... :unsure:

Usually it's Polansky but I think he's playing the Pan Am games. Our next guy after Dancevic against Belgium is Peliwo.

Usually it's Polansky but I think he's playing the Pan Am games. Our next guy after Dancevic against Belgium is Peliwo.

I wonder with Polansky out early, would he still make it to the Davis Cup? Bester still has doubles at the pan am games I think. There is still one more spot to fill. Steven Diez? -_- Our depth is really being tested.

Oh wait, Brayden Schnur is out...interesting.

Edited by Monteeun

The time violation is frustrating because its not consistently applied...so you really don't know what you're up against. You got no clock so you're really just winging it. Different umpire, different tendencies.

Wow, what a tiebreak point here (Fed/Djok)

These two are the most consistent right now. Murray is not really at their level and Nadal is having an off year or just slowing down.

Edited by Monteeun
  • Upvote 1

I wonder with Polansky out early, would he still make it to the Davis Cup? Bester still has doubles at the pan am games I think. There is still one more spot to fill. Steven Diez? -_- Our depth is really being tested.

Oh wait, Brayden Schnur is out...interesting.

But with Polansky's current form, I think I'd trust Peliwo a bit more. Especially considering that Peliwo's been playing a lot on clay recently.

Our fourth after Nestor, Dancevic, and Peliwo should probably be Shazmadin. Have another doubles player to play with Nestor.

But with Polansky's current form, I think I'd trust Peliwo a bit more. Especially considering that Peliwo's been playing a lot on clay recently.

Our fourth after Nestor, Dancevic, and Peliwo should probably be Shazmadin. Have another doubles player to play with Nestor.

Those are good points. Adil has been a good soldier.

• 2 weeks later...

Felix Auger Aliassime is Canada's new tennis wonder. Just 14 years old and already 6 foot 1, he's in the QF of the Challenger in Granby.

Earlier this year he became the youngest player ever to qualify for the main draw of a challenger in Drummondville but wasn't able to play his 1st round match because of an abdominal injury sustained in qualifying.

Now he went through qualifying in Granby, and has won his first two main draw matches. He plays Nishioka next.

He also shares a birthday with Federer.

• 3 weeks later...

Sucks to see that both Raonic and Bouchard had early exits this time round at the rogers cup...

It sucks but it sure isnt surprising..Bouchard just got rid of her coach and where did this monolith Milos played come from..he is huge.. he is almost 7feet tall...and out aced him 22 to 10...never see this guy ranked in any tourney..I think he is 36 so obviously been around a while.

I watched a bit of Milos' match and his serve wasn't as dominating as it usually is. I'll put it down to some post injury rust and move on.

Genie is just about at rock bottom. Really inexplicable what's happened to her game (and no, I don't buy the "too many outside interests" theory)

Once again, Pospisil is the last Canadian standing...

It sucks but it sure isnt surprising..Bouchard just got rid of her coach and where did this monolith Milos played come from..he is huge.. he is almost 7feet tall...and out aced him 22 to 10...never see this guy ranked in any tourney..I think he is 36 so obviously been around a while.

Ivo Karlovic? His serve toss is scary. Not even a toss. He just drops it and swings. Hard to break serve.

Surprise, surprise. Nick Kyrgios is at it again:

MONTREAL - French Open champion Stan Wawrinka urged tennis authorities on Thursday to take action against Nick Kyrgios for an "unacceptable" comment during a match at the Rogers Cup.

Wawrinka wrote on his Twitter account that the Australian's words were "not only unacceptable but also beyond belief."

A courtside microphone picked up the 20-year-old Kyrgios saying that Australian player Thanasi Kokkinakis had slept with a player who is reportedly Wawrinka's girlfriend.

"There is no need for this kind of behaviour on or off the court and I hope the governing body of this sport does not stand for this," the 30-year-old Wawrinka wrote on Twitter.

Wawrinka, ranked fifth in the world, announced in April that he had separated from his wife, with whom he has a daughter.

The Swiss player has since been linked with 19-year-old Donna Vekic of Croatia, who is ranked 127th.

Vekic played mixed doubles with Kokkinakis, also 19 and ranked No. 76, at the 2014 Australian Open as a wild-card entry.

Kyrgios beat Wawrinka on Wednesday when the Swiss retired with a lower-back injury while trailing 4-0 in the third set.

In a post-match interview on court, Kyrgios said Wawrinka had provoked him.

"He was getting a bit lippy at me so, I don't know, it's just in-the-moment sort of stuff," Kyrgios said. "I don't really know, I just said it."

The ATP rule book allows a fine of up to $10,000 for incidents of verbal abuse or unsportsmanlike conduct.

The rules note that a "singularly egregious, a single violation of this section shall also constitute the player Major Offense of Aggravated Behavior."

Wawrinka's coach, Magnus Norman, also criticized Kyrgios, who has been at the centre of controversy in recent weeks.

"That was really really low Nick Kyrgios," Norman wrote on Twitter. "Hope for u that u have people around that will teach u a thing or 2 about life tonight. Very bad."

At Wimbledon last month, Kyrgios was booed by spectators in a fourth-round loss to Richard Gasquet of France. Kyrgios appeared to make little attempt to return Gasquet's serve during the third game of the second set after a dispute with the chair umpire.

That incident prompted Australian swimming great Dawn Fraser to question the character of Kyrgios and suggest he could leave the country and return to where his parents came from.

Kyrgios, who was born in Australia to a father born in Greece and mother born in Malaysia, replied on Twitter that Fraser was a "blatant racist." She later apologized.

http://www.tsn.ca/wawrinka-kyrgios-comment-unacceptable-1.344951

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otYU-VUmvkU