The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Very disappointing season from Genie

Although it could be said that her rise last year was meteoric and not reflective of how much work she still needed to put in. She got lucky in some draws and went on some hot streaks but i don't think she was as good as her #6 ranking suggested

And then this year she hasn't been past the 4th round of an event, and I don't think that that is reflective of her skill either. She's not that bad. Just struggling to deal with fame, expectations, etc.

She'll turn it around I'm sure. This is normal in the trajectory of an athlete

• Upvote 1

Very disappointing season from Genie

Although it could be said that her rise last year was meteoric and not reflective of how much work she still needed to put in. She got lucky in some draws and went on some hot streaks but i don't think she was as good as her #6 ranking suggested

And then this year she hasn't been past the 4th round of an event, and I don't think that that is reflective of her skill either. She's not that bad. Just struggling to deal with fame, expectations, etc.

She'll turn it around I'm sure. This is normal in the trajectory of an athlete

Very well said.

Hence the new coach... Why do ppl keep saying this nonesense?

Why do people say these things to Genie? Because she's pretty. Because she's had a taste of fame. They're jealous.

To a lesser extent people will unknowingly mirror the disappointment in their own lives when they post about her disappointments on the court on twitter.

• Upvote 1

Why do people say these things to Genie? Because she's pretty. Because she's had a taste of fame. They're jealous.

To a lesser extent people will unknowingly mirror the disappointment in their own lives when they post about her disappointments on the court on twitter.

so true

Congrats to Stanimal on his second grand slam! Showing his AO 2014 title was not a fluke.

Good for Stan upsetting Novak!

Stan played well in the 2014 AO, however, Nadal's back acted up during the finals match; so it may have been fluke. Not to take any credit away from Stan though, he's a great player in his own right.

A little late on this but...

I'm so sad for Djokovic. He needs the career Grand Slam in order to be considered one of the best of all time, and he looked unstoppable this whole tournament. Congrats to Stan, he's a fantastic player.

Hoping Nole can get it done next year. He is fully deserving of it

As for Serena, congrats to her on #20. That's unreal. Just wish she'd do it without the drama

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Raonic is feeling it!

Raonic: ‘I think I can do great at Wimbledon’
SUNDAY, JUNE 21, 2015 /by MATT CRONIN

article.jpeg

The Canadian came back from a foot injury in Queen's last week. (AP Photo)

Milos Raonic, who just came back this week from minor surgery to correct a pinched nerve in his right foot, said that he feels extremely good about his return. After Madrid in early May, Raonic withdrew from Rome and Roland Garros. Currently ranked No. 8, Raonic reached the quarterfinals of his first event back at Queen’s, falling to Gilles Simon in three sets.

“If you asked me with the way things were going two days before this tournament I was in a frustrated mode, and I don't think you would get too much of a positive reply out of me,” he said. “But everything is sort of changing day by day. I'm competing really well. I have taken the time, over this time that I couldn't play, I think I have improved my mental side significantly and I have given myself more tools to use. I just needed my body to catch up a little bit, and therefore, I think I can do great at Wimbledon.”

He reached the semifinal of Wimbledon last year, falling against Roger Federer.

The 24-year-old, coached by Ivan Ljubicic, said that he has been working on his mental game consistently over the past few years.

“A lot of discussions, reviewing previous matches, understanding what would make the difference, where maybe I faltered, where I feel like I need to improve to give myself, especially in the big matches against the top guys, more of an opportunity and to sort of try to shift things as much as I can to help me,” Raonic said.

Edited by KyoNami

Bouchard playing her first round match at Wimbledon against Duan...having real trouble with her serve,,double faulting all over the place.

and she is gone ...7-6...6-4 in the 1st round to an unknown...her game has fallen completely off the map.

Edited by ShakyWalton

Bouchard playing her first round match at Wimbledon against Duan...having real trouble with her serve,,double faulting all over the place.

and she is gone ...7-6...6-4 in the 1st round to an unknown...her game has fallen completely off the map.

She is injured. She said this heading into the tournament.

However.... this changes nothing. She needs a COACH. Not a PR firm.

She is injured. She said this heading into the tournament.

However.... this changes nothing. She needs a COACH. Not a PR firm.

For how she played she should have bowed out of Wimbledon..she accomplished nothing by playing except dropping out of the top 20 rankings.