The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

19 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Yea Shap!

It wasn't as easy as it could've been, made it tough on himself at times.  But comes through in the end.

I watched part of the 4th set and it looked like a bit of a struggle for Shapo....way too many unforced errors. He'll have to clean that up if he wants to have a decent showing.

Leylah and Felix play their openers on Tuesday, IIRC...

• Vintage 1

Wow, a huge grind for Felix but he comes through when it matters.  His serve was letting him down but he finds it in the end and takes the 5 set match.

Leylah was off, just not a great performance by her but hey, it happens.  She's still a warrior in my books.

I saw one of the most entertaining matches of all times last night.  Used to seeing tennis players laser focused, usually the emotion outwardly displayed is intensely fierce and fired up.

But man, that Kyrgios is a fun character.  And Broady, his opponent, bought in to the "fun" element of the match and it created a great atmosphere.  Don't get me wrong, they both played some great tennis and put on the game faces at times, but the fact that they were so lighthearted throughout made it super fun to watch.

Kyrgios' serve?!?!  Amazing.  228 was his best ... but the accuracy that comes with that is incredible.  Broady put up a good fight but was in a hole early on.  Kyrgios serves under"hand"/between his legs at times?  I've never seen that before, but it works.

I really enjoyed the antics and shenanigans.  A few times I bordered on "that's kind of disrespectful to your opponent", except both guys cracking up quickly displaced that.

So good.  Now I'll be following Kyrgios as he takes on Medvedev.  

• Like 1

Felix had so many unforced errors but remained composed and came through!

I can't sleep...have had a couple of rough nights.  But what a way to be sick...the Kyrgios game is the most entertaining match.  This guy's for real....Medvedev is up two sets but Kyrgios, after getting a warning and going back at the umpire, has just turned into an absolute beast!  Unbelievable!  He just won't go away and is making some amazing shots.  He (and the crowd) are so fired up.

Of course, my cable cut out and rebooted right in between (figures).  But it came back JUST in time to see the best third set entertainment ever.  Wow.  

• Huggy Bear 1

18 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Felix had so many unforced errors but remained composed and came through!

I can't sleep...have had a couple of rough nights.  But what a way to be sick...the Kyrgios game is the most entertaining match.  This guy's for real....Medvedev is up two sets but Kyrgios, after getting a warning and going back at the umpire, has just turned into an absolute beast!  Unbelievable!  He just won't go away and is making some amazing shots.  He (and the crowd) are so fired up.

Of course, my cable cut out and rebooted right in between (figures).  But it came back JUST in time to see the best third set entertainment ever.  Wow.  

Like him or not the guy has so much talent.

In his first round match he was 40- love up in one of his service games and then served an underhand between the legs serve that the opposing player couldn't return. 

Guy hasn't played much competitive tennis in the last 2 years and he still pushed the number 2 seed. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Like him or not the guy has so much talent.

In his first round match he was 40- love up in one of his service games and then served an underhand between the legs serve that the opposing player couldn't return. 

Guy hasn't played much competitive tennis in the last 2 years and he still pushed the number 2 seed. 

I'm an instant fan...after seeing how much fun he has with it all it's hard not to be.  I mean, he gets a little cocky at times, but he also shows respect to his opponents.  I saw that serve, it blew my mind!  I didn't even know you could do that in tennis.  He's made a few shots that are head shakers too..."did he really do that??".  And he showed great grit and determination in the latter part of his match last night.  Apparently he's just had COVID last week?  Is this true?

Right now I'm watching Shapovalov playing.....Happy Gilmore's caddy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I'm an instant fan...after seeing how much fun he has with it all it's hard not to be.  I mean, he gets a little cocky at times, but he also shows respect to his opponents.  I saw that serve, it blew my mind!  I didn't even know you could do that in tennis.  He's made a few shots that are head shakers too..."did he really do that??".  And he showed great grit and determination in the latter part of his match last night.  Apparently he's just had COVID last week?  Is this true?

Right now I'm watching Shapovalov playing.....Happy Gilmore's caddy?

Yep has just got over a bout of Covid and he hasn't travelled much- playing- in the last 2 years.

I am watching and rooting for Shap to. 

It took me a moment to click re the happy reference... A lanky one !

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Shapobalov through, played better as the match went on.

Round of 16 ahead now form him.

Looking forward to watching my fav player compete shortly.

Naomi Osaka 

Shapo has Zverev up next.....really needs to limit the unforced errors if he wants to move on....

Felix gets the 24 seed, Daniel Evans of Great Britain. (hopefully not so "great" this time)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Shapo has Zverev up next.....really needs to limit the unforced errors if he wants to move on....

Felix gets the 24 seed, Daniel Evans of Great Britain. (hopefully not so "great" this time)

Yep he has to be on his game to beat the 3rd seed who one feels is building through this tournament.

The best match of the tournament last night,Osaka- Anisimova.

The quality of the tennis was insane. 

Anisimova prevailed in a 3rd set first to 10 point tie break.

Not sure if I am a fan of these.

Ash is going to have to be on her game if she wants to beat Anisimova tomorrow.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Yep he has to be on his game to beat the 3rd seed who one feels is building through this tournament.

The best match of the tournament last night,Osaka- Anisimova.

The quality of the tennis was insane. 

Anisimova prevailed in a 3rd set first to 10 point tie break.

Not sure if I am a fan of these.

Ash is going to have to be on her game if she wants to beat Anisimova tomorrow.

I was watching and dozing off/on.....was so good.

• Like 1