The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

With The Province's Ben Kuzma and Gord McIntyre looking a tad foolish for jumping the gun on the recent trade rumours, the Sun's Iain MacIntyre (no relation to Gord--note the "Mac" vs "Mc") has decided to come out in support of keeping Juice around (for the time being at least).

Now is not the time to trade Kevin Bieksa. Ask me after next game. (I'm kidding).

Bieksa was pissed off this week at a writer (not me) for reporting he could go to Washington for Tomas Fleischmann. Bieksa said stories about him getting traded are now 0-for-15. I've been responsible for at least a couple of those at-bats because the reality is the defenceman, for obvious salary/ career/depth reasons, has been off and on the market going back to the previous managerial regime. But Bieksa's still here and right now I'm glad.

His four points are abysmal, given his PP time, and he will drive you nuts every second game with his risk-reward decisions. But I think he has been better so far this year than any since he signed his big contract. Dan Hamhuis has a settling effect on him, and Bieksa seems to be playing more within himself. He also isn't taking bad penalties while possessing a little grit the Canucks need on their blue-line, and he is versatile enough to go up or down the pairings and play in any situation.

At age 29 and an unrestricted free agent with slim chances of re-signing here -- unless negotiations with Christian Ehrhoff collapse -- Bieksa could yet be traded. Probably will be if Sami Salo gets back before the trade deadline and looks solid. Two big "ifs." But now is not the time to trade Bieksa.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz16wVMAEnP

WTF?? Of course I read it. I posted it because SOB, says he had a problem with the coach or vice versa. But there never was a n instance in that article where SOB says that the coach "played favorites". He was put in the pess box when a injured player returned....but that's not playing favorites, that's letting the player with the original job, go back to his spot.

Even Gillis says he had a a fair shot here:

There's no favourtism that I can see, when even the GM is basically saying he was given what Gillis (a guy we all trust and think is above board) is a fair and equitable shot. Again, you made the claim or assertion that SOB's words was somehow proof or undeniable evidence that AV plays favorites. Just because AV kicked his backside doesn't automatically mean that he plays favorites with others.

SOB, was whining in that article and trying to blame other's for his situation, all the while, saying he's the one to blame. He is not an accountable guy and that's probably why he was ridden so hard.

If you want to twist his words to support your assertion, that fine for your own version of reality, but I still have not seen these "players" as in more than one.....say that AV plays favorites...

So moar proof please!

Lol at your bolded statement above.....you honestly see nothing in these comments suggesting that he believes AV favored other players over him? Are you blind?

"But the thing that really made me upset is you look around an organization and there's always stuff that goes on during the year, and they try to keep it behind closed doors. With me, AV just went right to the press and buried me and that made it worse. Everything else that happens on that team, they try to keep internal. But when he had a chance to bury me in the media, he did. He never seemed to have my back. I'd by lying if I said I thought I had a chance with him from Day 1."

"I knew I was in trouble," he said. "I wish I got a little fairer shake in camp. I only played three exhibition games, all on the road, and we flew the day of the game on two of them. And - no disrespect to the players we had in those games - but the three games I played we were nowhere near an NHL-calibre roster. It was the icing on the cake for my career here in Vancouver.

"Last year, I stepped up when we had some injuries and helped our team win the division, and I thought I played with a lot of heart in the playoffs. Every time there was an injury, I'd play well. And when [the injured player] came back, I'd go right back to the bottom of the barrel. It's tough to play in this league when you know if you have a bad night, you're going to the press box. After two years, it was still the same thing. No matter what I did, I didn't seem to stand a chance with that guy."

But if you're being realistic, there was never any chance I was going to move up [the depth chart] as long as the coaching staff stayed intact. I think it was time for a change."

As far as the Gillis comment goes, what was he supposed to say? Do you honestly believe that MG tells the entire truth to fans and the media? Of course not. Anything he says is carefully considered before it ever comes out of his mouth. It is called media spin. That doesn't mean he is not trustworthy or honest, it means a big part of his job is to keep the business of the Canucks in a positive light.

Lol at your bolded statement above.....you honestly see nothing in these comments suggesting that he believes AV favored other players over him? Are you blind?

As far as the Gillis comment goes, what was he supposed to say? Do you honestly believe that MG tells the entire truth to fans and the media? Of course not. Anything he says is carefully considered before it ever comes out of his mouth. It is called media spin. That doesn't mean he is not trustworthy or honest, it means a big part of his job is to keep the business of the Canucks in a positive light.

Yes, i am being honest....i rarely ever lie. I'm not blind either...but if you believe that i am...then kindly highlight the part that SOB says he thinks AV plays favorites....that'd be great....and it would back up your previous assertion, and give credibility for puting up SOB as one of your "players" who has sais so publicly. BTW, who were the other players??

I don't know...what was Gillis supposed to say? How about nothing or the truth. Seems like he chose to speak the truth, as he doesn't come across as someone who lies and has more sense and class to just say no comment or say nothing at all, than to make up that SOB was given the chance and he agrees or implies that he agrees with the coach. Which sounds more logical and less conspiratorial? I honestly don't think MG gives a crap enough to lie to us...if he wanted to be Mr. P.R. then he would have avoided the question by saying something like, I won't comment on private discussions or whatever...seems he chose the truth over a lie...

Do you guys still think the 2nd PP unit doesn't need to get better?

This has been bugging me all year, the Canucks should have buried the Flames on that 5 min PP and they didn't.

The PP strategy seems to be to overload the first unit and play them for the majority of each PP opportunity. When it works it works great (1st overall PP %). However, when it doesn’t the 2nd unit needs to step up but that 5 min PP exposed the deficiencies of the 2nd unit. No playmakers! I find it funny that a coach who juggles lines like AV won't change up the PP when it isn't working. You'd think a sustained pressure attrition strategy instead of a Blitzkrieg followed by a lull strategy would make more sense on a 5 min PP. Something as simple as switching Bieksa for Ehrhoff in a situation like this would change the dynamic of the 2nd unit giving them a playmaking option to go along with the speed. Furthermore, Bieksa's line holding ability can only help maintain the Sedins cycle.

Yes, i am being honest....i rarely ever lie. I'm not blind either...but if you believe that i am...then kindly highlight the part that SOB says he thinks AV plays favorites....that'd be great....and it would back up your previous assertion, and give credibility for puting up SOB as one of your "players" who has sais so publicly. BTW, who were the other players??

I don't know...what was Gillis supposed to say? How about nothing or the truth. Seems like he chose to speak the truth, as he doesn't come across as someone who lies and has more sense and class to just say no comment or say nothing at all, than to make up that SOB was given the chance and he agrees or implies that he agrees with the coach. Which sounds more logical and less conspiratorial? I honestly don't think MG gives a crap enough to lie to us...if he wanted to be Mr. P.R. then he would have avoided the question by saying something like, I won't comment on private discussions or whatever...seems he chose the truth over a lie...

If you see nothing in his comments to suggest he thinks AV was playing favourites, then nothing I say or me pointing them out is not going to convince you. Basically every comment he made said that.

You really do not understand that MG' job is to defend decisions made by his staff and his organization. Of course he is going to agree with his coach. Why wouldn't he? I also never said he lied to anyone. Whether or not he passed along the whole story from both perspectives is very much in question though and is a totally different matter. Given that a few of the claims made by SOB are actually fairly well documented, I don't think it was all SOB there.

SOB was really not given much of a chance to play in the preseason (just like he said). The games he played in and the chance he got is pretty well documented, so it really is a fact, not just SOB making stuff up.

As for other players, it sure sounds like Morrison thinks the decision regarding him and the 4th line center position was made without regard for who actually earned the spot.

This has been bugging me all year, the Canucks should have buried the Flames on that 5 min PP and they didn't.

The PP strategy seems to be to overload the first unit and play them for the majority of each PP opportunity. When it works it works great (1st overall PP %). However, when it doesn’t the 2nd unit needs to step up but that 5 min PP exposed the deficiencies of the 2nd unit. No playmakers! I find it funny that a coach who juggles lines like AV won't change up the PP when it isn't working. You'd think a sustained pressure attrition strategy instead of a Blitzkrieg followed by a lull strategy would make more sense on a 5 min PP. Something as simple as switching Bieksa for Ehrhoff in a situation like this would change the dynamic of the 2nd unit giving them a playmaking option to go along with the speed. Furthermore, Bieksa's line holding ability can only help maintain the Sedins cycle.

While AV being the head coach bears the ultimate responsibility for the players on the ice, it should be noted that special teams are the province of Newell Brown.

If you see nothing in his comments to suggest he thinks AV was playing favourites, then nothing I say or me pointing them out is not going to convince you. Basically every comment he made said that.

You really do not understand that MG' job is to defend decisions made by his staff and his organization. Of course he is going to agree with his coach. Why wouldn't he? I also never said he lied to anyone. Whether or not he passed along the whole story from both perspectives is very much in question though and is a totally different matter. Given that a few of the claims made by SOB are actually fairly well documented, I don't think it was all SOB there.

SOB was really not given much of a chance to play in the preseason (just like he said). The games he played in and the chance he got is pretty well documented, so it really is a fact, not just SOB making stuff up.

As for other players, it sure sounds like Morrison thinks the decision regarding him and the 4th line center position was made without regard for who actually earned the spot.

Actually what Mo said was that he didn't fit in with their plan. Perhaps he was brought in to give him a chance and push other players, perhaps they were seeing if he could beat out other players on other lines but what he said was that he wasn't a fit for what they wanted on the 4th line. Mo didn't earn a fourth line spot...because he wasn't what they were looking for. This is a real stretch if you think anything Mo said even hinted at favoritism. I mean even though SOB is a POS you have a shred of evidence their but with Mo...well you're probably best to leave that one alone.

If you wanna continue with Mo though then just answer the question of Who offers contracts and was he offered one? Nuff said.

While AV being the head coach bears the ultimate responsibility for the players on the ice, it should be noted that special teams are the province of Newell Brown.

I know this and I should restate it as coaching staff. However when you are the boss and your subordinate's methods aren't getting the job done some "gentle" suggestions are in order. A captain who lets the helmsman steer the ship into an iceberg without opening his mouth is not much of a captain.

Lets try to put this SOB thing to bed. Ask yourself this WSL. If Alberts hadn't have impressed so much and showed so much improvement do you think SOB would still be here? I think he would otherwise they wouldn't even have given him a shot. His play in the preseason was Meh and Alberts outplayed him for a spot. No sense paying him a bunch of money to sit in the press box and whine about not getting ice time.

SOB got a shot and got outplayed.

Bieksa has been one of the main disappointments on the 2nd unit. He has played himself more towards being off the PP altogether, not onto the 1st unit.

Give Ballard a chance. He looked better in his limited PP opportunity last night than Bieksa or Rome have looked all season. He started the play on Hamhuis' goal with a nice pass from his own zone. Something different and it worked well. The D on the 2nd unit seem to be content lugging the puck up ice slowly or hanging around in their own end waiting for a perfect play to appear out of nowhere. The 2nd unit D is moving the puck too slowly right now.

They need to do exactly what they did on the Hamhuis goal to be successful. As for Bieksa holding the line helping the Sedins, he has been holding the line well but ends up giving the puck back to the other team right away a lot of the time, and that has been one of his issues on the PP. If he could get back to doing something useful with the puck after keeping it in, then he would be doing a lot better there, imo.

Who evaluates the players in camp and decides who deserves to play for the team?

Who's that persons boss?

You wanna lay all the blame on AV that's fine but it makes you no better than the other canucks talk mouth breathers that think one person can be the problem to any given situation.

They knew what they wanted for the 4th line and he wasn't it. He said that himself.

Lets try to put this SOB thing to bed. Ask yourself this WSL. If Alberts hadn't have impressed so much and showed so much improvement do you think SOB would still be here? I think he would otherwise they wouldn't even have given him a shot. His play in the preseason was Meh and Alberts outplayed him for a spot. No sense paying him a bunch of money to sit in the press box and whine about not getting ice time.

SOB got a shot and got outplayed.

First, if you are going to shorten my handle, it is technically WSA, not WSL..... ;)

Alberts did play well. He also played better than Bieksa and Ballard did if we are being totally honest here. SOB played no worse than Bieksa and Ballard in the preseason. The difference was he did get a pretty limited opportunity to play.

And also, I am not talking about him being traded, I am talking about his comments about his entire experience with AV. If it makes people feel better to suggest he has absolutely no reason to believe what he does, that is fine. Unfortunately, blaming it all on the player seems to be a Vancouver management/coach staple and has been for as long as I have been watching the team.

Archived