The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hat Trick Maker

I know what you mean, but it still feels limiting. This is not the same feeling I got when I was playing Fallout New Vegas. It felt like I was my own boss at almost all times. Skyrim, not so much. You're supposed to be the ultimate hero, but it always feels like your serving someone. Don't get me wrong, Skyrim is better then New Vegas in most every way, but in this regard, I don't feel it is.

If they diversified dialogue options greatly, and added the ability to say no to things, it would probably make this the greatest game I've ever played.

I have to disagree with you there Fallout is basically the same template, plus Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas. Maybe your just not as engrossed with the dungeons and dragons mid-evil theme because I personally always did like the post apocalyptic setting in fallout. Or maybe since playing those games, virtually all taken from the Oblivion template, you don't feel as free as you used to because you know that eventually the missions run out and there is an end and only limited choice. But honestly they all follow the same principles go find a mission do it or don't but either way it is out there and part of a only a handful you can do. The only thing with more choice in it is real life, how much can you really expect from a video game.

New Vegas is a really bad example too because I played that multiple times and it basically tells you to go deal with every faction every time and if you don't then that is another group of missions off the docket and if you do them you end up repeating the same old missions every time. I liked being able to choose what happens to New Vegas at the end but really it is only like 2 or 3 choices and that is the absolute antithesis of the game, seems a little weak to me personally. Plus in Skyrim it allows you to double cross people and such by giving an item to someone your not supposed to. It gives you optionals to a dencent amount of missions and plus the way I view it by choosing to do certain missions in a file and not do other ones you create that character, like I wouldn't take my mage guy through the companions or I wouldn't make my non-Nords to do the stormcloak civil war missions but unlike in other games Skyrim has enough missions that choices like that don't effect my overall game play because of how many missions are availiable. Just my personal opinion though I guess.

Fallout does follow the same template, which is why I brought it up. The thing is, though one your objectives is to go around and deal with all the factions, it doesn't feel like it boils down to the same framework every time. In Skyrim you can join the Dark Brotherhood or wipe them out. With the companions you either become a werewolf, or you just stop the mission and freeze it at that point for eternity. With the thieves guild, you either join them, or not and have a couple of notes/objectives hanging in your quest log until you do.

In New Vegas, when you run into the Great Kahns. You can Either; Kill them all, join them in their evil deeds, do what I did and legitimize their operation for good, or even go ahead and become their leader if you plot it properly. In Skyrim, every faction you join, it just ends up with you becoming their leader (even with the college of winterhold, where at the time I was warrior with barely any magical abilities to speak of.)

And then there's the deadric quests, which can only result in your serving whatever evil ass stuff they request of you. If this is something you don't want to do, well you're crap outta luck because you have to find unique ways to fail the quest on purpose to get out of it. A lot of the time, it isn't even possible for that to be done. There's no equivalent of this New Vegas.

But in Skyrim there are so many more Quests that you can do that don't have anything to do with the story line. In New Vegas most quests you do come from a faction of some sort so it is a means to the end of getting that factions loyalty, so in my mind it seems like all the same crap. Besides like I said, and because there are so many other missions, you don't even have to do the main story lines to keep yourself entertained imo there are way more and way better caves and dungeons and what about all the dwarven ruins. I think it just takes a little initiative to get out find some quests you want to do or some ruins you want to scavenge and do something you haven't done. But like I mentioned a lot of the time I don't even do the main quest lines; I have yet to complete the Companions, I have yet to complete the Mages Guild either, I finally completed the main quest just a week or 2 ago. Those are still two main quest lines I can go through and finish. I played a lot of Oblivion though and realized how I like to play this game.

But maybe we just ought to agree to disagree, besides I like fallout 3 way better than New vegas anyway...except for Ed-E he was awesome.

But in Skyrim there are so many more Quests that you can do that don't have anything to do with the story line. In New Vegas most quests you do come from a faction of some sort so it is a means to the end of getting that factions loyalty, so in my mind it seems like all the same crap. Besides like I said, and because there are so many other missions, you don't even have to do the main story lines to keep yourself entertained imo there are way more and way better caves and dungeons and what about all the dwarven ruins. I think it just takes a little initiative to get out find some quests you want to do or some ruins you want to scavenge and do something you haven't done. But like I mentioned a lot of the time I don't even do the main quest lines; I have yet to complete the Companions, I have yet to complete the Mages Guild either, I finally completed the main quest just a week or 2 ago. Those are still two main quest lines I can go through and finish. I played a lot of Oblivion though and realized how I like to play this game.

But maybe we just ought to agree to disagree, besides I like fallout 3 way better than New vegas anyway...except for Ed-E he was awesome.

But a ridiculously high number of quests doesn't equal choice in the sense that I'm trying to point out. However, the ridiculously high number of quests is my favourite part of Skyrim, and makes the game what it is. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the effort that had to have gone into making this game.

Also, imo New Vegas > Fallout 3... but that's a discussion for another day, lol.

A thing about Sky Rim that makes me go mmmm.

You take the Dragon Stone to Ferengar and Delphine is there.Erileth comes in and talks about the dragon and Delphine runs away.Later delphine wants proof that you are the dragon born.

Why doesn't she stay and watch the dragon fight?

But a ridiculously high number of quests doesn't equal choice in the sense that I'm trying to point out. However, the ridiculously high number of quests is my favourite part of Skyrim, and makes the game what it is. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the effort that had to have gone into making this game.

Also, imo New Vegas > Fallout 3... but that's a discussion for another day, lol.

I do like being able to side with factions but in the end it makes very little difference and I guess that was mostly my point.

On a side note Skyrim was making me want to go back to Oblivion and play a H2H/battlemage character since I can't do that in Skyrim.

Parents bought it for me on Christmas... I asked for the PS3 game because I was sure it wouldn't run on our PC, but they got it for PC anyway. I was right, didn't run, and we couldn't turn it back in because they accidentally ripped the cover apart. :lol::(

Still haven't got the PS3 game, too.

So after a month with no money i bought skyrim at the weekend - and it arrived this morning :)

Any advice for a noob?

Start exploring....oh and keep your self a backup save it sucks when you are a low level and go headlong into a dungeon with some Draugr Deathlord who is to strong for you, I usually keep 2 rotating saves that I use even at higher levels because you just never know.

Start exploring....oh and keep your self a backup save it sucks when you are a low level and go headlong into a dungeon with some Draugr Deathlord who is to strong for you, I usually keep 2 rotating saves that I use even at higher levels because you just never know.

I also do this, I also have random save points throughout the game before i do something big, like Kill Ulfric or complete the main quest ect.

We may be a minority, but I strongly agree with this

Parents bought it for me on Christmas... I asked for the PS3 game because I was sure it wouldn't run on our PC, but they got it for PC anyway. I was right, didn't run, and we couldn't turn it back in because they accidentally ripped the cover apart. :lol::(

Still haven't got the PS3 game, too.

This is the point where you are supposed to suggest to your parents that its time to upgrade the old PC. More ram and a decent vid card should make this game work on most PCs. A not too expensive upgrade.

Awesome mods on Steam. Off the top of my head: Realistic water mod, dynamic weather; more snow and rain at varying degrees of intensity, dynamic merchants offering more gold, camping mod, sound mods for nature, towns and dungeons, Real life night time; Out in the wilderness it's as if it were real -- you cant see five feet in front of you. Busier towns(more people), more defined terrain, sound effects like rain hitting wood or water, etc.

Awesome stuff!

Archived