The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

On 11/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I thought the squad kind of reverted to their pre-Vanni form, especially early in the match. They looked tentative, as if they realized they were in a playoff game, even though the last month of matches were all the equivalent of playoff games....

A couple of questionable lineup decisions, IMO, but the way this team played for Sartini, they'd be fools not to give him the permanent job.

If they can manage to keep Gauld, I'm optimistic about next season.

I completely missed the playoffs because I thought the break was on longer and that it would be a best of 3 or something. New fan to watching non Olympic soccer if that wasn’t obvious :lol:

Agree with Sartini, he definitely deserves the permanent job if he wants it. I’d add White, Owusu and Crepeau in addition to Gauld to the keep list if we can manage it (have no idea the inner workings, growing pains to learn a new sport). Rest of the team seemed to my untrained eye to have inconsistent play from game to game, some good, some bad. I’m probably wrong on that anyways haha.

Regardless of what happens I’m definitely back for next season from the beginning.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

15 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I completely missed the playoffs because I thought the break was on longer and that it would be a best of 3 or something. New fan to watching non Olympic soccer if that wasn’t obvious :lol:

Agree with Sartini, he definitely deserves the permanent job if he wants it. I’d add White, Owusu and Crepeau in addition to Gauld to the keep list if we can manage it (have no idea the inner workings, growing pains to learn a new sport). Rest of the team seemed to my untrained eye to have inconsistent play from game to game, some good, some bad. I’m probably wrong on that anyways haha.

Regardless of what happens I’m definitely back for next season from the beginning.

I agree on the list of players to keep. I mentioned Gauld specifically, because it seems like it's harder for North American teams to hang onto those European players, especially the ones from the British Isles...

So Seattle outshoots RSL yesterday 21-0 and loses 1-0 in a shootout.  

I watched some of the second half and how Seattle did not win that game is inexplicable.

The MLS one game playoff system is treacherous. Entertaining, but treacherous.

One other thing:  had the Whitecaps won on Saturday they would be hosting RSL this weekend.  And I suspect the Caps would have been favourites to win that game. 

Sigh. 

7 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

And the MLS playoff upsets continue.  New England losing today means two of the three top teams in the East were bounced in the first or second round while, in the West, all three top teams have been eliminated.

Like any championship you just gotta make it to the dance. Anything’s possible after that. These days with the added uncertainty of COVID taking out players/teams.

16 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

A bit off topic, but does anyone know what other Canadian/BC leagues/teams are there and are any games broadcast on tv or online?

I know the CWNT won’t be playing until Feb and the CMNT in Jan. MLS starts in Jan too. I want to watch more soccer in 2022 if it’s available to me.

There's the Canadian Premier League (which will have its final on December 5th).  They play from about June to December.

https://canpl.ca/

Their games are available on a streaming service called One Soccer:

https://onesoccer.ca/

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Whitecaps announce their end of season roster decisions.   No real surprises:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/whitecaps-fc-announce-end-of-season-roster-decisions

image.thumb.png.98c45e7a1d3019843b34207fa4fa7b7f.png

I don’t know how it works, but do the WhiteCaps have the ability to sign other players to the team? Is there a cap on money spent or nationality of players? Would be interesting to know if they’re going to stand pat or try to improve their roster.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:48 PM, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I don’t know how it works, but do the WhiteCaps have the ability to sign other players to the team? Is there a cap on money spent or nationality of players? Would be interesting to know if they’re going to stand pat or try to improve their roster.

Good questions.  I wish I knew the answers.

I just assumed that the roster decisions listed applied to those players whose contract was ending at the end of this season.

There is a salary cap in MLS.  For this past season and next season it's $4.9 million.  As well,  each team can sign up to three designated players whose salaries, for the most part, do not count towards the cap.  But there seems to be a host of exemptions and qualifications which I don't pretend to understand.  For instance, here's a summary of the Whitecaps salaries for this past season:

image.thumb.png.9506f2ff7ef3fa7e260804f31cacbde8.png

https://www.spotrac.com/mls/vancouver-whitecaps-fc/

According to this, their senior roster is costing $9.2 million.   Which is way more than $4.9 million.  And the excess is not going to their designated players.  So I have no idea how the MLS salary cap works.

And, yes, they can add new players to their roster.  They have to be able to.  But if they have a full roster, if they sign a new player someone has to go.

What will the Caps do?  Who knows.  But I've read speculation that Cavallini, for one, might not be back next season.

• Cheers 1

Congratulations to NYCFC on winning the MLS cup.

From a neutral's point of view I thought it was an average soccer game enlivened by a fired up crowd in Portland that included a couple of thousand NYCFC fans who made it out to the west coast to watch the game.  It was fitting that NYCFC won the shoot-out as the last second goal (literally) by Portland that sent the game to extra time probably should have been disallowed.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Congratulations to NYCFC on winning the MLS cup.

From a neutral's point of view I thought it was an average soccer game enlivened by a fired up crowd in Portland that included a couple of thousand NYCFC fans who made it out to the west coast to watch the game.  It was fitting that NYCFC won the shoot-out as the last second goal (literally) by Portland that sent the game to extra time probably should have been disallowed.

Who won, what?  Is this soccer?