The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

I'd say likely no - at this point, Canuck fans were heartbroken at the loss of a game 7. She looked...well, pretty damn happy in a "having a great time, wish you were here" way. Many wearing Canuck gear were simply along for the ride at that point...I wouldn't really classify them as "fans" or people who take a genuine interest in the team/game of hockey. Flavour of the month stuff.

The first step for "paying" dues is admitting you're wrong. That means a public apology. If YOU (and many others) can't accept that, then there are no dues that these people can ever pay that will satisfy you. Although the first step is admitting you're wrong, it doesn't need to be broadcast. Actions speak louder than words and "I'm sorry" can be muttered by any fool...time will tell and differentiate between the sincere apologists and those with their own agendas. Go "be" sorry by taking care of business, don't announce it because, at the moment, why should we believe you?

Fair enough, you don't "want to hear it" - guess that means YOU"RE not ready for this crap to be made right. So many of these people involved have sobered up and are trying to make amends, but it's people like you who aren't willing to give them the chance because you have to much anger and hatred left inside yourself to forgive. Don't fool yourself, you're not over this whole deal. I hope sometime soon you will be. LOL, I have very little hatred inside of me...it's energy I could invest in something productive, like work. And actually, I'm rather indifferent about the whole deal at this point..."it is what it is". But these public broadcasts with people justifying their actions and explaining what great people they are is allowing this thing to drag on and absolute BS. I didn't care to be subjected to the riot and I don't care to hear about the aftermath or the tales of woe from the tearful participants. Let these people get on with their business at hand which, at the moment, is answering for their actions. But I don't care to hear that they've been victimized in some way. Please, gimme a break.

I'm on a message board, offering input. But, beyond that, I couldn't be less interested in investing any energy into this.

"If they want forgiveness they should simply shut up, go away and let this die down" - Really? Yeah... you're definitely over this alright. Well, let's say I'm trying to be over it but then I have to see blubbering crybaby fools who are now "sorry". Go away already. Why are YOU so emotionally invested in this? Do you know these people personally and can vouch for them?

All I'm really asking is give them the chance to actually prove themselves, don't judge them solely on one drunken mistake - because if we do... we are ALL guilty and deserve to burned at the stake. Again, these people will get their "chance", but excuse us if it's not immediate. If they go away, pay their dues, go on to contribute something to society then all is forgotten. Right now, it's fresh and people are ticked off so seeing their ugly mugs at this point is further aggravating things.

Future events will be in jeopardy and I doubt we'll have these large gatherings any time soon because these drunken "mistake makers" have ruined that opportunity for the rest of us. Don't trivialize things....random acts of violence are not drunken mistakes, they're random acts of violence. There's a difference.

And no, I am not guilty of rioting, so get off the soapbox.

The first step for "paying" dues is admitting you're wrong. That means a public apology. If YOU (and many others) can't accept that, then there are no dues that these people can ever pay that will satisfy you. Although the first step is admitting you're wrong, it doesn't need to be broadcast. Actions speak louder than words and "I'm sorry" can be muttered by any fool...time will tell and differentiate between the sincere apologists and those with their own agendas. Go "be" sorry by taking care of business, don't announce it because, at the moment, why should we believe you?

Fair enough, you don't "want to hear it" - guess that means YOU"RE not ready for this crap to be made right. So many of these people involved have sobered up and are trying to make amends, but it's people like you who aren't willing to give them the chance because you have to much anger and hatred left inside yourself to forgive. Don't fool yourself, you're not over this whole deal. I hope sometime soon you will be. LOL, I have very little hatred inside of me...it's energy I could invest in something productive, like work. And actually, I'm rather indifferent about the whole deal at this point..."it is what it is". But these public broadcasts with people justifying their actions and explaining what great people they are is allowing this thing to drag on and absolute BS. I didn't care to be subjected to the riot and I don't care to hear about the aftermath or the tales of woe from the tearful participants. Let these people get on with their business at hand which, at the moment, is answering for their actions. But I don't care to hear that they've been victimized in some way. Please, gimme a break.

I'm on a message board, offering input. But, beyond that, I couldn't be less interested in investing any energy into this.

"If they want forgiveness they should simply shut up, go away and let this die down" - Really? Yeah... you're definitely over this alright. Well, let's say I'm trying to be over it but then I have to see blubbering crybaby fools who are now "sorry". Go away already. Why are YOU so emotionally invested in this? Do you know these people personally and can vouch for them?

All I'm really asking is give them the chance to actually prove themselves, don't judge them solely on one drunken mistake - because if we do... we are ALL guilty and deserve to burned at the stake. Again, these people will get their "chance", but excuse us if it's not immediate. If they go away, pay their dues, go on to contribute something to society then all is forgotten. Right now, it's fresh and people are ticked off so seeing their ugly mugs at this point is further aggravating things.

Future events will be in jeopardy and I doubt we'll have these large gatherings any time soon because these drunken "mistake makers" have ruined that opportunity for the rest of us. Don't trivialize things....random acts of violence are not drunken mistakes, they're random acts of violence. There's a difference.

And no, I am not guilty of rioting, so get off the soapbox.

Easy with the techno-babble there buddy.

Society can express it's disapproval for misbehavior... we're not saying otherwise.... what we ARE saying is that society can NOT take matters into their own hands to punish these people and effect their lives by getting them fired, expelled et cetera because that is wrong and makes us no better then the people who started this whole violent affair.

When I see comments on this board like "They need to have their teeth kicked in" or "They should have all their windows smashed and cars burned" or some other similar comment... that's when I will question the motives of this trend of "online public shamming" and compare it (and come to the conclusion that those calling for this are no better then those who participated in the riot) to those people holding pitch forks in the 17thC burning witches - yes, we have a problem, so lets burn every woman in sight and cleanse our society of the problem.

First off it is not "techno-babble" and secondly I am not your "buddy".

It is what YOU are saying - not everyone agrees. A person's actions has consequences and why should society not get them expelled, fired, publicly shamed, etc. The court of public opinion can be nasty - so be it. Personally I have never been big fan of easy forgiveness - it has to be earned and it has to be demonstrated over time not through some off- the cuff mea culpa.

I have not advocated physical harm or threats of harm (and in fact have spoken out against it) but social and economic harm, even on a personal level, that is acceptable IMHO. And in no way, shape, or form does it equate to the conduct and actions for which such consequences may rain down upon their heads.

First off it is not "techno-babble" and secondly I am not your "buddy".

It is what YOU are saying - not everyone agrees. A person's actions has consequences and why should society not get them expelled, fired, publicly shamed, etc. The court of public opinion can be nasty - so be it. Personally I have never been big fan of easy forgiveness - it has to be earned and it has to be demonstrated over time not through some off- the cuff mea culpa.

I have not advocated physical harm or threats of harm (and in fact have spoken out against it) but social and economic harm, even on a personal level, that is acceptable IMHO. And in no way, shape, or form does it equate to the conduct and actions for which such consequences may rain down upon their heads.

But when you use words like misapprehend instead of misunderstand, disapprobation instead of disapproving, in a sentence laced with words either designed to show that your intellect is superior to those arguing against you or better then the average layman - that's techno babble.

Lawyer-speak =/= techno-babble.

techno babble is saying that MIPS is a RISC ISA that comes in 32 BIT and 64 BIT variations. MIPS also has several optional extensions available, including MIPS-3D which is a simple set of floating-point SIMD instructions dedicated to common 3D tasks, MDMX (MaDMaX) which is a more extensive integer SIMD instruction set using the 64-bit floating-point registers, MIPS16e which adds compression to the instruction stream to make programs take up less room, and MIPS MT, which adds multithreading capability.

:emot-parrot:

hint: if it's not about technology, it's not techno-babble.

Lawyer-speak =/= techno-babble.

techno babble is saying that MIPS is a RISC ISA that comes in 32 BIT and 64 BIT variations. MIPS also has several optional extensions available, including MIPS-3D which is a simple set of floating-point SIMD instructions dedicated to common 3D tasks, MDMX (MaDMaX) which is a more extensive integer SIMD instruction set using the 64-bit floating-point registers, MIPS16e which adds compression to the instruction stream to make programs take up less room, and MIPS MT, which adds multithreading capability.

:emot-parrot:

hint: if it's not about technology, it's not techno-babble.

I hope these rioters get caught and do the time (jail or alot of community service).

Over a million dollars in damages.

And guess who's footing the bill?

Taxpayers and businesses.

On youtube, there's a guy pulling a tire iron out of his backpack (for christ sakes) and trashing a car.

So not everyone one was "caught in the moment".

I'll forgive them when they have repented and served their time.

Until then...no chance.

Easy with the techno-babble there buddy.

Society can express it's disapproval for misbehavior... we're not saying otherwise.... what we ARE saying is that society can NOT take matters into their own hands to punish these people and effect their lives by getting them fired, expelled et cetera because that is wrong and makes us no better then the people who started this whole violent affair.

When I see comments on this board like "They need to have their teeth kicked in" or "They should have all their windows smashed and cars burned" or some other similar comment... that's when I will question the motives of this trend of "online public shamming" and compare it (and come to the conclusion that those calling for this are no better then those who participated in the riot) to those people holding pitch forks in the 17thC burning witches - yes, we have a problem, so lets burn every woman in sight and cleanse our society of the problem.

The only thing i agreed with her on her deleted portion of her sarcastic laden term paper was the racist and misogynistic comments really were out of line, but it's not really her place to be correcting them; she needed to leave that to people who were not involved in the riot to do. After all, those comments are also readily available and archived on the internet, and will come around to bite/humiliate those people in the future as well (and rightfully so).

Sorry dude, (can I call you dude?)

But when you use words like misapprehend instead of misunderstand, disapprobation instead of disapproving, in a sentence laced with words either designed to show that your intellect is superior to those arguing against you or better then the average layman - that's techno babble.

Why shouldn't society get them expelled and fired? Because when citizens, on their own accord, with out the backing of an authorized government body, takes action to dole out "justice" by their own means (i.e. social media) - that is definition of Anarchy.

You're not an advocate of physical harm or threats? That is EXACTLY what is happening right now... even that 'punk' Nathan Kotylak's parents have received threats BECAUSE OF WHATS HAPPENING ONLINE IN THE COURT OF SOCIAL MEDIA.

Oh, but you don't advocate that... no... what these websites are doing is great, bringing those responsible for all the wrongs of this riot to justice - it's just some specific individuals, a small sample, who are taking what these 'online activists' are doing and bringing it to an extreme... and giving a bad name to the real purpose of the social media public shaming movement.

Here's a word for you to look up: Hypocrite

Archived