The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

With 5 months to Euros and half a season of football played lets hear everyone's 23 man rosters for their favourite team.

I'll start

G Buffon, Sirigu, and Perin

FB De Sciglio, Murru, Darmian

CB Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonnuci, Rugani, Romangoli

M Candreva, Verrati, De Rossi, Soriano, Marshisio, Boneventura, Florenzi

F Berardi, Zaza, Insigne, Vasquez

I can't decide on the last spot between Ballotelli, Gabbiadini, and Stuaro

thoughts?

As far as I know, Conte brought Pirlo from out of retirement so he'll get that last spot.

I'm an Italian supporter and I'd be okay with your 23 man team, although Eder and Pelle have been used a lot by Conte.  Immobile was being used too.

Edited by Alain Vigneault

15 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

As far as I know, Conte brought Pirlo from out of retirement so he'll get that last spot.

I'm an Italian supporter and I'd be okay with your 23 man team, although Eder and Pelle have been used a lot by Conte.  Immobile was being used to.

Not a fan of pelle nor Eder. Would rather have pavoletti from Genoa than those two. The guy is good in the air and has scored at every level. Why not give him a shot?

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

Not a fan of pelle nor Eder. Would rather have pavoletti from Genoa than those two. The guy is good in the air and has scored at every level. Why not give him a shot?

Pavoletti wouldn't be a terrible option but I'd want to see him cap a few times before bringing him to a major tournament.

I don't watch enough Bundesliga so this'll probably be pretty inaccurate

Gotze
Reus - Ozil - Muller
Kroos - Khedira
Hector - Boateng - Hummels - Ginter
Neuer

The rest: Trapp, Leno, Schmelzer, Howedes, Mustafi, Schweinsteiger, Gundogan, Kramer, Volland, Draxler, Bellarabi, Sane

Maybe Gomez due to his ridiculous goal/game ratio and Grosskreutz for utility.

14 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

They are good up front and on the wings. Average in net and on D. They lack a really good CM. every good contending team has one (Verrati, iniesta, kroos, pogba)

They're about average everywhere, up front Rooney is past his best before date for top level football, Vardy hasn't done anything at international level Carroll/Austin are basically there to fill the body count, up front the only hope I have is Kane. Same goes for midfield hopefully Alli can continue on his good form into the Euros. I would agree that the wingers are England's best position in terms of talent. 

But  I'm hoping for a Germany v France final.

Edited by CaptainCanuck001

1 hour ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

I don't watch enough Bundesliga so this'll probably be pretty inaccurate

Gotze
Reus - Ozil - Muller
Kroos - Khedira
Hector - Boateng - Hummels - Ginter
Neuer

The rest: Trapp, Leno, Schmelzer, Howedes, Mustafi, Schweinsteiger, Gundogan, Kramer, Volland, Draxler, Bellarabi, Sane

Maybe Gomez due to his ridiculous goal/game ratio and Grosskreutz for utility.

Löw is not a big fan of Schmelzer. Don't think he's gonna be there. Maybe Durm instead. Question marks: Höwedes, Schweinsteiger, Kramer, Draxler, Bellarabi, Kramer. Haven't been playing that well lately. Großkreutz is out for good. Löw was pretty much making fun of his career decisions at a press conference a couple of days ago. Podolski is gonna be there. Only Löw knows why. Has been playing bad for us for years. Schürrle might be in as well. Has been playing sh!t the last 2 seasons but for some reason he's one of Löws favourites.

Löw already gave out a list containing players he considers for the Euro at this moment. Some pretty ridiculous names there:

Spoiler

GK:

Bernd Leno (Bayer 04 Leverkusen)
Manuel Neuer (Bayern München)
Marc-André ter Stegen (FC Barcelona)
Kevin Trapp (Paris Saint-Germain)
Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96)

DF:

Jerome Boateng (Bayern München)
Emre Can (FC Liverpool)
Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund)
Matthias Ginter (Borussia Dortmund)
Jonas Hector (1. FC Köln)
Benedikt Höwedes (FC Schalke 04)
Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund)
Shkodran Mustafi (FC Valencia)
Antonio Rüdiger (AS Rom)
Sebastian Rudy (1899 Hoffenheim)

MF:

Karim Bellarabi (Bayer 04 Leverkusen)
Julian Draxler (VfL Wolfsburg)
Ilkay Gündogan (Borussia Dortmund)
Sami Khedira (Juventus Turin)
Christoph Kramer (Bayer 04 Leverkusen)
Toni Kroos (Real Madrid)
Thomas Müller (Bayern München)
Mesut Özil (FC Arsenal)
Lukas Podolski (Galatasaray Istanbul)
Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund)
André Schürrle (VfL Wolfsburg)
Bastian Schweinsteiger (Manchester United)

FW:

Mario Gomez (Besiktas Istanbul)
Mario Götze (Bayern München)
Max Kruse (VfL Wolfsburg)
Kevin Volland (1899 Hoffenheim)

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

How can you not rate Eder? He is Italy's best striking option right now. 

On top; my national team does not play in the Euros but CONMEBOL is hosting a false tournament in the USA this summer. 

I hope Argentina focuses on the Olympics in Rio over the Copa Americash tournament. 

Higuain's form with Napoli this season makes it impossible for Tata to drop him, but I fully expect him to cost his country another piece of silverware. 

2 hours ago, 87Crosby said:

I've seen a couple of Germany games and why does Gotze play up top instead of Muller? Muller is a better striking option, isn't he?

Müller likes to come from a deeper position in order to roam into space in between the defenders. Götze is the technically more gifted player, so he's better taking on the ball while having a defender in his back and distributing it to the players in the line behind him (e.g. Müller, Özil...). Similar to drop passes in hockey.

21 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

Müller likes to come from a deeper position in order to roam into space in between the defenders. Götze is the technically more gifted player, so he's better taking on the ball while having a defender in his back and distributing it to the players in the line behind him (e.g. Müller, Özil...). Similar to drop passes in hockey.

Ok. Makes sense. Germany doesn't have a natural striker than? Like, Klose was the player that played in the World Cup but when subbed off Schurlle played in the centre. 

8 minutes ago, 87Crosby said:

Ok. Makes sense. Germany doesn't have a natural striker than? Like, Klose was the player that played in the World Cup but when subbed off Schurlle played in the centre. 

They haven't been playing with a designated striker for the majority of games in the last 2 years. But nothing's set in stone really. Gomez and Volland are players who could get some playing time as a genuine No. 9. Gomez seems to be scoring a lot in Turkey. Volland is not playing his best season but he can play on the wings as well and is also a couple of years younger.

14 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

They are good up front and on the wings. Average in net and on D. They lack a really good CM. every good contending team has one (Verrati, iniesta, kroos, pogba)

Hart is top10 if not top5 gk in the world. I don't follow England much internationally but in EPL he is world class. Butland been brilliant all year as well. They are above average in net imo. Defense wise ya I would even slightly below average. 

14 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Hart is top10 if not top5 gk in the world. I don't follow England much internationally but in EPL he is world class. Butland been brilliant all year as well. They are above average in net imo. Defense wise ya I would even slightly below average.