The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

International break yet again... Don't know why we have it but I guess they just have to so the players can play for their home country. Big match for United coming up in a couple weeks against the Gunners. A win against them at Old Trafford and they might be considered title contenders this season. It's very early in the season so anything can happen. Go United!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/nov/12/usain-bolt-feel-good-because-know-done-it-clean

He does, however, have one other ambition: after retiring from athletics, he wants to be a professional footballer. “We’ve genuinely been talking to people.” Bolt is so competitive that he won’t even play Call Of Duty any more, because he’s not as good as he used to be and can’t bear the pain – “and shame” – of losing. So I doubt he would have mentioned football unless he’s as promising a winger as he claims to be. He has been in touch with Borussia Dortmund’s coach, will soon train with the team in Germany for a couple of days, “and see what happens”. But having always been a huge Manchester United fan, the manager he really wants to meet is José Mourinho. “For me, if I could get to play for Manchester United, that would be like a dream come true. Yes, that would be epic.”

Soooo... Usain Bolt will train with us. :huh:

Want to see Auba vs. Bolt in a running competition.

Italy and Germany play a "Friendly" today. Very different Azzurri team than the euro 2016 side. A new manager, 2 promising center backs(Romagnoli, Rugan)i, two young center midfielders one of which highly touted(Verratti), the other a debutant, who is unheralded outside of the Lazio Camp(Cataldi), and a young striker who Marcello Lippi dubbed "The future of Italian Football"(Bellotti). Add the possibility of Gigo Donnorumma starting in net, and this rivalry game just became twice as scintillating. 

Forza Azzurri

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Italy and Germany play a "Friendly" today. Very different Azzurri team than the euro 2016 side. A new manager, 2 promising center backs(Romagnoli, Rugan)i, two young center midfielders one of which highly touted(Verratti), the other a debutant, who is unheralded outside of the Lazio Camp(Cataldi), and a young striker who Marcello Lippi dubbed "The future of Italian Football"(Bellotti). Add the possibility of Gigo Donnorumma starting in net, and this rivalry game just became twice as scintillating. 

Forza Azzurri

Meh.

Whenever Rudy is on the field, I can't take it serious. Don't know, why he still gets nominated. He's been sh.. oddy every single time he played. Though I'm glad to see Weigl get some minutes.

1st half, United have successfully neutralized any attempt of attack from Arsenal. United have been creative and have had the better share of chances. Valencia robbed of a clear penalty...Monreal was beaten and obliged, I don't know what else you have to do to get a call. Cech with a couple key saves early and Pogba showing his elite vision finding the open man often. 

...hope Rooney isn't subbed on. United playing well, don't see any reason to bring him on. Here's hoping to similar 2nd half.

Best game of the year for United. Really unfortunate result. United were deserving of 3 points. Last minute equalizer and it was the one and only shot on target for Arsenal. The gunners were outchanced and outplayed badly.

Fracken lucky bastards somehow found a way to come out with a point in a game which they were totally dominated in. Bs result...that should've been 3 points in the bag. United just couldn't convert on the other handful of legitimate chances they had. Doesn't help there were a couple of controversial calls too like the "advantages" when up 1-0, not to mention the no call in the box. Pretty dreadful to not have come out on top after such a performance, should've killed them off.

...things are starting to look up though. Can finally see the players beginning to gel and getting comfortable in their roles. It's only a matter of time before they break out and start getting the results they deserve. That's 3 draws in a row at home which 2 points were lost out on each time. Could've been sitting top4 easily had the bounces n refs gone our way.

Edited by TheRussianRocket.
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

1st half, United have successfully neutralized any attempt of attack from Arsenal. United have been creative and have had the better share of chances. Valencia robbed of a clear penalty...Monreal was beaten and obliged, I don't know what else you have to do to get a call. Cech with a couple key saves early and Pogba showing his elite vision finding the open man often. 

...hope Rooney isn't subbed on. United playing well, don't see any reason to bring him on. Here's hoping to similar 2nd half.

Was not a clear penalty. The right call was made.

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Best game of the year for United. Really unfortunate result. United were deserving of 3 points. Last minute equalizer and it was the one and only shot on target for Arsenal. The gunners were outchanced and outplayed badly.

Fracken lucky bastards somehow found a way to come out with a point in a game which they were totally dominated in. Bs result...that should've been 3 points in the bag. United just couldn't convert on the other handful of legitimate chances they had. Doesn't help there were a couple of controversial calls too like the "advantages" when up 1-0, not to mention the no call in the box. Pretty dreadful to not have come out on top after such a performance, should've killed them off.

...things are starting to look up though. Can finally see the players beginning to gel and getting comfortable in their roles. It's only a matter of time before they break out and start getting the results they deserve. That's 3 draws in a row at home which 2 points were lost out on each time. Could've been sitting top4 easily had the bounces n refs gone our way.

Watching the PVR of the game right now since they played early morning and I obviously I needed my beauty sleep. But it seems like from your reaction they could've won. I agree that they could easily be top 4 and probably deserve to be given the players Mourinho has had to work with. I think Carrick has earned a spot in the starting IV. He had a great game against Swansea couple weeks ago and was great defensively giving Pogba the freedom to move forward and offer what he has on the attack. 

I really think De Gea had a chance to save that header but with so much pace and velocity on it, it was almost too much to ask. United dominated the 2nd half. Arsenal were lucky to even be in the match and get a point. Tough match to drop points in but have to move on. On to Feyenoord. Go United!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bizarre said:

Was not a clear penalty. The right call was made.

If you don't mind, would like to hear what your reasoning behind that is.

My view: Valencia beat Monreal and was taken out, its as simple as that. Would've been on a partial break and in great position to either score or put a dangerous ball through. Don't know what else has to happen to get a call. Monreal put his arm across Valencia when he was clearly beaten. 

• Upvote 1