The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

7 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Have fun Lateralus. I wanted to ask your opinion on RB Leipzig. I know a lot of my German friends hate them. 

Thanks mate.

Leipzig is not my cup of tea either, to be honest. One reason is our club structure in Germany. You get special treatment by government as an e.V. ("eingetragener Verein" = "registered club") such as lower taxes etc. On the other hand you have to run the club as a non-profit-organization. There has to be some sort of purpose to the community e.g. getting people to do sport in a sport club.

In German football you have to be a registered club to take part in the competition which is overseen by the German Football Association. But this club structure proved to be very problematic at the professional level. So they created a new rule which states that those clubs can turn their teams into companies, yet the parent club still has to remain as the majority holder of that company. (Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50%2B1_rule )

Leipzig meets all those requirements in theory. Problem I and other German football fans have with this is that they are the first club which was registered for the sole purpose of marketing. The club is a tool for Red Bull to promote its product. Additionally they make it hard for people to really join the club. You have to meet ridiculous requirements to join. Up until last year they had about 8 registered members. All of them employed by Red Bull. I think it's 17 nowadays. In comparison: Sch*lke: 143,000. Dortmund: 144,000. Bayern: 277,000. My home club: 800.

If Leipzig is able to ridicule that 50+1 rule, others might be as well. And other clubs like Leipzig would probably be the death of the Bundesliga as we know. Sure, Bayern and Dortmund will be fine. Too big to fail now. But other clubs have worked for more than 100 years to get where they are now. Now the RB Leipzigs can come in and take that work away in a couple of years. What makes the Bundesliga special in comparison to other major leagues is that fans still matter a great deal. Köln, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Gladbach, Bremen, Hertha, Dortmund, Bayern, Sch*lke all draw around 50,000 into their arenas each game. Those clubs have the biggest tv ratings and each one of those clubs generate more revenue than Leipzig and Hoffenheim combined. If clubs like Leipzig keep coming up, those clubs will be marginalised. Fans would not accept those new clubs as easily as the average North American sports fan probably would.

Saying that: I'm not taking anything away from their work, which is absolutely fantastic, no doubt.

PS: Scene of the game. :bigblush:

Edited by Lateralus91
  • Upvote 2

Meanwhile, Ronaldo silenced his critics with a hat trick yesterday in the last Madrid derby vs Athletico at the Vicente Calderon. His first goal was via a free kick. It was from 30-35 yards out. He takes the shot and it takes a wicked deflection and it found its way into the back of the net. His 2nd goal was a penalty which he easily converted. His 3rd and final goal to cap off a stunning match was on the counter attack with Bale leading the way. He was able to get a neat pass off for CR7 and he completed his hat trick. He still remains one of best players in the world and that's why they remain unbeaten in La Liga. 

6 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Meanwhile, Ronaldo silenced his critics with a hat trick yesterday in the last Madrid derby vs Athletico at the Vicente Calderon. His first goal was via a free kick. It was from 30-35 yards out. He takes the shot and it takes a wicked deflection and it found its way into the back of the net. His 2nd goal was a penalty which he easily converted. His 3rd and final goal to cap off a stunning match was on the counter attack with Bale leading the way. He was able to get a neat pass off for CR7 and he completed his hat trick. He still remains one of best players in the world and that's why they remain unbeaten in La Liga. 

Not sure how that "silences" anyone.

No-one denies that he's a great player. People criticize him because he's jerkoff...

18 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Going to Celtic Barcelona on Wednesday. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that we're going to do something special.

Need to score the first goal though.

Barca are going to want to punish someone for the Malaga defeat. I think they'll win.