The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

6 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Fighting in and outside the stadium already apparently.

What brings people to do that sort of thing? How could you possibly think that's a good idea?

Nothing new, it has been happening for decades over there.

i still remember watching on TV in 1985 when Liverpool hooligans rushed Juve fans, causing all those deaths.

Even as a kid going to games back in the 80's, I can't remember ever attending one where I have not seen a fight.

"Pioneers" of this behavior were Zulus, inter city firm, headhunters, bushwackers etc. 

Every hooligan in my country has always looked up to these guys going back to 70's.

Edited by CBH1926

I prefer the Euro tournament to the WC and for once I have a dog in the race (Ireland). I'm not that hopeful.

I'm guessing that the Germans and Spain will make the finals and Italy and France will be in the hunt.

England will once again fail the get it together. Their fans will make total arseholes of themselves. This is one area where they excel.^_^

Edited by PistolPete13
Speling

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

I prefer the Euro tournament to the WC and for once I have a dog in the race (Ireland). I'm not that hopeful.

I'm guessing that the Germans and Spain will make the finals and Italy and France will be in the hunt.

England will once again fail the get it together. Their fans will make total arseholes of themselves. This is one area where they excel.^_^

Don't even need a world cup really. Everybody the only true contenders to be world champions are either from Europe or South America the rest are just there as feel good stories honestly. Like who actually thinks any of the African, Asian, or for that matter any North or Central American countries have a chance against a European or South American power team?

I personally prefer the flair and more open attacking play of the South American countries European teams seem more committed to defending rather than open up if they fear they have inferior attacking talent.

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

I honestly want Belgium to win I feel they have a good young team with good depth of talent at all positions.

Not a big fan of Italy or even Spain, and especially not Germany.

If somebody deserves to take this it would be either France or Belgium in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Don't even need a world cup really. Everybody the only true contenders to be world champions are either from Europe or South America the rest are just there as feel good stories honestly. Like who actually thinks any of the African, Asian, or for that matter any North or Central American countries have a chance against a European or South American power team?

I personally prefer the flair and more open attacking play of the South American countries European teams seem more committed to defending rather than open up if they fear they have inferior attacking talent.

I'm sorry, but this is pure arrogance and it really irritates me.  Football is a worldwide sport and some of the best football moments in the modern age have come from WC and not Euro or Copa.  I assume your background isn't based in Asia or Africa, but there are lots who are and for someone like me, it's WC above all else.  I don't really care who the hell wins Euro or Copa.  No Canada.  No Korea.  Gives small countries from anywhere to overachieve and perform on the true world stage.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I agree. Look at Costa Rica at the last world cup.

Those are one offs and great when it happens sure. Everybody loves an underdog including me. Mexico and Costa Rica are an exception but they are still Latin countries who are somewhat influenced by South American style.

The best players in the world are still majority born and play in either Europe or South America. Just saying the facts here.

I'm saying realistically the gap is still fairly significant talent wise with Europe and South America vs the rest of the world. In fact outside those 2 continents I don't believe any nation belonging to a continent not named Europe or South America has even made a final yet alone had a realistic chance to actually win it.

I understand the world cup is more of a celebration of the reach of the world's favorite game so it stands to reason you want to get as many countries involved even if they have no realistic shot to make it deep.

Obviously if have ties to country having lived there or have family whatever you will root for them if they are in the tournament and especially if that is your home country no matter if they suck and have no true chance.

I still enjoy the world cup but I have an interest in all sports of seeing best on best and sometimes I get irritated waiting for the pretenders or lesser lites to get weeded out to have some real competition where both teams are good.

20 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I'm sorry, but this is pure arrogance and it really irritates me.  Football is a worldwide sport and some of the best football moments in the modern age have come from WC and not Euro or Copa.  I assume your background isn't based in Asia or Africa, but there are lots who are and for someone like me, it's WC above all else.  I don't really care who the hell wins Euro or Copa.  No Canada.  No Korea.  Gives small countries from anywhere to overachieve and perform on the true world stage.

Ok that is fair. I suppose you need the lesser countries to feel part of the party and that they have a chance to pull of an upset over a power team and do the unthinkable.

Also great for marketing. Which is why the Euro's keep increasing the number of teams to qualify to generate more interest.

Also in the group stages it leads to entertaining high scoring games when a power team easily outclasses a minnow that was lucky to qualify.

I also like the World Cup but I wonder if people could do without the other countries because they certainly do when it comes to the Champions League or Europa League.

I don't think anybody cares who the MLS or Japanese or K League champions here but they sure as hell care who are the champions of Europe.

People care who won the EPL,La Liga, Bundesliga,Serie A. Ligue 1, Dutch Erdevise, etc no matter where you are in the world because that is where the best players in the world and the best teams play.

Unless you are a local or with some ancestral ties you will not care if Santos or Flamingo finally won the Brazillian league or River Plate or Boca Juniors won in Argentina right?

• Upvote 1

UEFA apparently looking to ban Russian fans for the rest of the tournament. Because that won't end up with pitched battles in the streets of France :rolleyes:

Russia should have the World Cup taken off them, and the team banned from international football for a minimum of 4 years. 

Racism and violence is all Russian football knows. Imagine if Ukraine qualify for 2018 - there would be more deaths than survivors at their games.