The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

14 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Hearing an English fan has died after been pushed in front of a train :(

Madness. Over football of all things.

EDIT: Apparently BS. Shows how quickly rumours can spread.

There was a report of one English fan being in critical condition, but that was due to cardiac arrest. The report wasn't clear about whether he was involved in the hooliganism, but it was part of the a report about clashes with police, so it's a fair bet.

9 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ok that is fair. I suppose you need the lesser countries to feel part of the party and that they have a chance to pull of an upset over a power team and do the unthinkable.

Also great for marketing. Which is why the Euro's keep increasing the number of teams to qualify to generate more interest.

Also in the group stages it leads to entertaining high scoring games when a power team easily outclasses a minnow that was lucky to qualify.

I also like the World Cup but I wonder if people could do without the other countries because they certainly do when it comes to the Champions League or Europa League.

I don't think anybody cares who the MLS or Japanese or K League champions here but they sure as hell care who are the champions of Europe.

People care who won the EPL,La Liga, Bundesliga,Serie A. Ligue 1, Dutch Erdevise, etc no matter where you are in the world because that is where the best players in the world and the best teams play.

Unless you are a local or with some ancestral ties you will not care if Santos or Flamingo finally won the Brazillian league or River Plate or Boca Juniors won in Argentina right?

This is the worst post ever in this thread without doubt, and it wasn't even from TRR. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Caboose said:

This is the worst post ever in this thread without doubt, and it wasn't even from TRR. 

Almost as bad as the time you said Chelsea would easily repeat to win the league and no other player in the league besides Aguero could break their starting XI

:lol: 

• Upvote 1

Defense pretty shaky during the first half. Offensively lacking in movement and ideas. Götze and Özil pretty much non-existent for the entire match. Still, quality is high enough to win those kinds of matches.

2-0 was fantastic, though. Mustafi with the artistic interception. Özil with a timed run and pass. Schweinsteiger with perfect finish.

So far the win by the highest margin. Ridiculous. :lol:

13 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ok that is fair. I suppose you need the lesser countries to feel part of the party and that they have a chance to pull of an upset over a power team and do the unthinkable.

Also great for marketing. Which is why the Euro's keep increasing the number of teams to qualify to generate more interest.

Also in the group stages it leads to entertaining high scoring games when a power team easily outclasses a minnow that was lucky to qualify.

I also like the World Cup but I wonder if people could do without the other countries because they certainly do when it comes to the Champions League or Europa League.

I don't think anybody cares who the MLS or Japanese or K League champions here but they sure as hell care who are the champions of Europe.

People care who won the EPL,La Liga, Bundesliga,Serie A. Ligue 1, Dutch Erdevise, etc no matter where you are in the world because that is where the best players in the world and the best teams play.

Unless you are a local or with some ancestral ties you will not care if Santos or Flamingo finally won the Brazillian league or River Plate or Boca Juniors won in Argentina right?

Some of the best players in Bundesliga are from minor countries.  Kagawa the prodigal son.  Aubameyang, Africa's best.  Son never should've left.  Little Pea Hernandez.  Apart from Gabon, the other three have potential to pull off some big upsets.  Korea, Japan, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Costa Rica, Mexico... Maybe not USA, but the list can go on.  You simply cannot ignore the incredible talent that has developed outside of Europe and SA.  Where the clubs are located don't prove any point when it comes to top flight football.

10 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

UEFA apparently looking to ban Russian fans for the rest of the tournament. Because that won't end up with pitched battles in the streets of France :rolleyes:

Russia should have the World Cup taken off them, and the team banned from international football for a minimum of 4 years. 

Racism and violence is all Russian football knows. Imagine if Ukraine qualify for 2018 - there would be more deaths than survivors at their games.

I actually want more flares and fireworks.  Probably because I'm an evil chaotic man but let everything burn!!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Caboose said:

Thank you for your response. I am clearly in the minority then of people on here who don't give a rip about teams club or country outside of Europe and South America when it comes to overall talent.:lol:

6 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Thank you for your response. I am clearly in the minority then of people on here who don't give a rip about teams club or country outside of Europe and South America when it comes to overall talent.:lol:

The talent is concentrated in European clubs.  There is no denying that.  But this isn't club football.  It's international football, and if you think all the talent is concentrated in just two continents, you haven't been paying enough attention.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

22 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I'm sorry, but this is pure arrogance and it really irritates me.  Football is a worldwide sport and some of the best football moments in the modern age have come from WC and not Euro or Copa.  I assume your background isn't based in Asia or Africa, but there are lots who are and for someone like me, it's WC above all else.  I don't really care who the hell wins Euro or Copa.  No Canada.  No Korea.  Gives small countries from anywhere to overachieve and perform on the true world stage.

Bit of an overreaction or what? I just expressed a personal preference.

I really enjoy the WC as well:)

No need to get on your high horse.

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The talent is concentrated in European clubs.  There is no denying that.  But this isn't club football.  It's international football, and if you think all the talent is concentrated in just two continents, you haven't been paying enough attention.

Hate to break it to you but the elite talents are still being produced and trained in Europe or South America.

Aubamayeng is born in France but chooses to represent Gabon. Kagagwa, Toure,Drogba, Tim Cahill etc all good players but not truly elite superstars.

Sure smaller countries can have some good players not saying they don't especially a quality team like Mexico who have proven themselves again and again at the Copa in the past against the South American powers like Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Colombia.

I will give you little pea. Jan Oblak, Keisuke Honda, Kagawa, whatever.  Put those guys against the best who represent Europe or South America for country and most are not even top 50 in the world.

Edited by Chip Kelly

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Hate to break it to you but the elite talents are still being produced and trained in Europe or South America.

Aubamayeng is born in France but chooses to represent Gabon. Kagagwa, Toure,Drogba, Tim Cahill etc all good players but not truly elite superstars.

Sure smaller countries can have some good players not saying they don't especially a quality team like Mexico who have proven themselves again and again at the Copa in the past against the South American powers like Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Colombia.

I will give you little pea. Jan Oblak, Keisuke Honda, Kagawa, whatever.  Put those guys against the best who represent Europe or South America for country and most are not even top 50 in the world.

Jan Oblak is definitely the greatest Asian player of all time, great shout

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Jan Oblak is definitely the greatest Asian player of all time, great shout

Ooops didn't mean to include him  Asian and Africa. You get the point though. It's late.-_-

Belgium vs Italy tomorrow biggest match of Euro so far. 2 legit teams going at it.

Edited by Chip Kelly