The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian Talk

Bilbro Baggins

I don't completely agree with this. If you're talking about last season, I think maybe his conditioning was an issue, but not so much this season. Kassian will never be great in defensive end of the rink, but he won't be a liability either. This season he has looked much better overall. I think he still does need work along the wall in the offensive zone, but that will come with more and more experience.

Kassian has looked better, it's true that he wasn't good on the back check, and on saturday he looked a little sluggish, but at the same time he still has lots of room to improve he's 21 years old with a ton of potential. I don't think we should count on Kassian to be a shut down man, he just isn't one of those players, but he won't be a liability in the defensive zone.

Kassian has looked better, it's true that he wasn't good on the back check, and on saturday he looked a little sluggish, but at the same time he still has lots of room to improve he's 21 years old with a ton of potential. I don't think we should count on Kassian to be a shut down man, he just isn't one of those players, but he won't be a liability in the defensive zone.

Agreed! I'm sure he's a guy who wont be on the ice defending the lead in the last 3 minutes of a game and thats fine. Not every player brings that skill set anyway.

The Package: Zack Kassian

By Justin Piercy

Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 | 08:35 AM

620-kassian-package-nov2012-thumb-620xauto-248770.jpgZack Kassian, shown here in this file photo chirping with the Blackhawks' Brent Seabrook, right, has shown a mean streak in his time with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL, picking up 40 penalty minutes in 16 games. (File/Getty Images)

We at CBCSports.ca will be keeping an eye on the next generation of NHL stars on Canada's seven clubs, whether they're working on the "farm" in the AHL or honing their game overseas, waiting for the end of the lockout.

The Package

Mika Zibanejad - Senators

Zack Kassian - Canucks

Sven Baertschi - Flames

Jarred Tinordi - Canadiens

Nail Yakupov - Oilers

Nazem Kadri - Maple Leafs

Mark Scheifele - Jets

We'll periodically check in with these players throughout the 2012-13 season, no matter what league they'll be lacing up their skates in. Today, we check in with Vancouver Canucks' does of sandpaper-on-the-wing Zack Kassian, who has done his part in racking up penalty minutes in the AHL while still finding the back of the net.

Zack Kassian

Age/ Birthplace: 21, Windsor, Ont.

Position: RW

NHL club/draft position: Vancouver Canucks, drafted 13th overall by the Buffalo Sabres in 2009

NHL GP: 44 (17 with the Canucks)

Junior team: Peterborough Petes/Windsor Spitfires

Current team: Chicago Wolves (AHL)

Stats on current team: 16GP, 5G, 6A, 40 PIM

As we stated last time we spoke of Kassian, we talked about how the Canucks traded away a "natural goal-scorer in Cody Hodgson in exchange for Kassian and the skill set they believe the big forward possesses: size (6'3", 214 lbs.), physical presence and an offensive upside."

Kassian seems to be fitting the bill so far with the Wolves, after just 16 games with the club he has 40 minutes in penalties, with moderate offensive production. One case in point of his role going forward with the parent club Canucks is his performance in Abbotsford, B.C. last month, torching the Heat with what one commenter called a "Kassian hat trick;" that is a goal, fight and shootout tally:

Highlight: Slow-motion score

Bonus highlight: Chucking knuckles in Abbotsford

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/11/the-package-zack-kassian-1.html

For all the logic of a defensive minded guy being required (as noted by Dassein); there is also physical match ups to consider. People calling out the Twins as sisters are idiots, as they're pretty tough. But they are still 185 lbs, and so is Burrows. In 3 of our last 4 play off losses teams were having substantial success shutting down the Twins by overloading size match ups.

Perhaps they would not have to be so defensive if they just matched up better, and a big guy (who is also fast) who has the soft hands to drop, slap and bump passes back and forth with the Twins sounds pretty attractive to me?

I also wonder what is the love for finding the "perfect" winger for Kesler. His line already had size, speed and talent on his line and he had 50 odd assists 3 years ago. And its possibly only injuries that have kept him from doing so since the San Jose series? If he's a leader he should be making that line tick again!

Edit; and that would also default Burrows, who after playing triplet for years is a dynamite passer, back to Keslers line. And it's identity was, is, and always will be a defensive match up line first and foremost. Burrows actually makes waaay more sense here for his speed and pursuit if Kass can keep up on a Twin line!

Well said! This would be a second line that would be a force to be reckoned with. The Canucks have a great second line as is, but when Kassian develops into his game, and if he develops to this potential, this line would be unreal.

Yes I agree also that a second line with Booth Kesler an Kassian would work as well. Maybe Kinda like a legion of doom line. I just hope Kass improves his defensive game that way AV doesn't bench him. This kid is something special and has the poetential to be better then a Todd Bertuzzi.. Yes I said it BETTER than a Todd Bertuzzi. He just needs to put it all together..

For all the logic of a defensive minded guy being required (as noted by Dassein); there also physical match ups to consider. People calling out the Twins as sisters are idiots, as they're pretty tough. But they are still 185 lbs, and so is Burrows. In 3 of our last 4 play off losses teams were having substantial success shutting down the Twins by overloading size match ups.

Perhaps they would not have to be so defensive if they just matched up better, and a big guy (who is also fast) who has the soft hands to drop, slap and bump passes back and forth with the Twins sounds pretty attractive to me?

I also wonder what is the love for finding the "perfect" winger for Kesler. His line already had size, speed and talent on his line and he had 50 odd assists 3 years ago. And its possibly only injuries that have kept him from doing so since the San Jose series? If he's a leader he should be making that line tick again!

Edit; and that would also default Burrows, who after playing triplet for years is a dynamite passer, back to Keslers line. And it's identity was, is, and always will be a defensive match up line first. Burrows makes waaay more sense here!

I agree with this mostly, Kassian with the twins would be sick, it would help a lot in the playoffs 5 on 5.

I don't completely agree with this. If you're talking about last season, I think maybe his conditioning was an issue, but not so much this season. Kassian will never be great in defensive end of the rink, but he won't be a liability either. This season he has looked much better overall.

I think he still does need work along the wall in the offensive zone, but that will come with more and more experience.

I'm not questioning his conditioning, which should still improve. I'm pointing out that in some of his AHL play that I've seen he has been picking up very lazy habits. When the puck is not on his stick he has been a lazy player.

Looks promising; a guy who not only has the hair on his neck stand up, but he backs up his growl in key tests... :towel:

Might be a better play off performer than every day player till he gets 2 or 3 years experience. It often takes a few years to learn how to eat and train for a big guy not to loose weight, strength and explosiveness playing big minutes, 82 games... See L.A.'s PF who basically rests till the post season but has 2 cup rings?

Also seems like he plays his best hockey when emotions are running high ie (First game versus Buffalo, and against Douche HOGS this year).

• 3 weeks later...

If you look at his stats, his shots per game has dropped way off from Rochester and from earlier this season... needs to go back to shooting more. He hasn't seem quite as engaged lately.

I think the main problem is that Arniel is a douchecanoe and no one respects or likes him. He's taken a team that's pretty sweet-looking on paper and made them perform horribly. He doesn't seem to give two craps about helping Kass develop. Not that he cares about helping anyone develop from what the Wolves have publicly stated multiple times. But I think a kid like Kass who is young, wants to grow, and rightly feels like if he doesn't improve he's not going to see the NHL for a while is going to get more frustrated than some others.

I think the main problem is that Arniel is a douchecanoe and no one respects or likes him. He's taken a team that's pretty sweet-looking on paper and made them perform horribly. He doesn't seem to give two craps about helping Kass develop. Not that he cares about helping anyone develop from what the Wolves have publicly stated multiple times. But I think a kid like Kass who is young, wants to grow, and rightly feels like if he doesn't improve he's not going to see the NHL for a while is going to get more frustrated than some others.

+1 for using the word douchecanoe :lol: but where'd you hear the bolded part from? Scandalous!

+1 for using the word douchecanoe :lol: but where'd you hear the bolded part from? Scandalous!

Not really scandalous. They've said many times that their focus is on winning using career AHLers than having an endless parade of future-NHLers. That talk really only stopped when the Canucks desperately needed an affiliate. But that is ultimately why Arniel has such a boner for Joslin and Desbiens right now. He is more interested in developing them to be Wolves than to develop Kassian et al. only to lose them soon after. Not surprisingly our player development staff hate the Wolves organization for this reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Kassian and Foligno lit it up when they played together in the AHL.

I think having another physical body on his line will really help Kassian, so that he doesn't always have to focus on doing all the grinding. The Wolves are a bunch of smurfs. It will also help his consistency by being reminded of what he's supposed to do.

Hopefully Arniel wakes the f up and keeps Archibald Schroeder and Kassian together, they looked good and scored a goal that one shift they were together.

I noticed whenever Kassian gets really pissed off there's no stopping him.... exactly the type of player we need, but we need to support him with more physical players in the NHL.

When Mallet was playing and fighting and other Wolves were too, Kassian seemed to be playing a lot more mean and physical also.

Archived