The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Less Gumption Than A Napkin

goal-ghost

Well...he isn't really making it up. Would you rather he post a picture of pom poms and talk about the philanthropy of the organization?

They crapped the bed and deserve to be called out. Even AV threw the "stars" under the bus in his post-game interview, why shouldn't the press?! Gallagher isn't paid to say nice thing about a bad effort.

Well...he isn't really making it up. Would you rather he post a picture of pom poms and talk about the philanthropy of the organization?

They crapped the bed and deserve to be called out. Even AV threw the "stars" under the bus in his post-game interview, why shouldn't the press?! Gallagher isn't paid to say nice thing about a bad effort.

no, i wouldn't prefer that. nor was it insinuated.

what i would prefer is less sensationalism in a major reporting editorial. this is a very good hockey team that hasn't been playing very well of late. that's no secret. the unaware reading this column would think we're talking about the blue jackets' season.

passive aggressive referrals to the sedins as "alleged" stars seem very dramatic to me. not to mention suggesting this team should be embarrassed (though i suppose i just mentioned it)

The point is, the reporters could have written the same panic piece in Boston, Detroit or NY® over the last few weeks. Does anyone seriously think they will not be flying come the playoffs?..............then why should we doubt our own boys?

Controversy sells papers (although to be honest I would think the public were wise to the hyperbole by now)

I asked this yesterday and ask it again. Would we be happier if we had gone to war with the Habs, picked up a shoulder injury (see how long that put Volpatti out) or a hip injury (Hamhuis/Kesler) or broken hand by anyone fighting Subban?

That would be a game of diminishing returns for us and could even have ended in disaster.

I agree with only one of his points. I didn't want to see Kassian fight Staubitz. Kassian is going to get seriously hurt taking on guys who are way out of his league. He is just a boy and needs to mature before even thinking about fighting guys like that. He should concentrate on legal hits, that's where the money is.

I disagree with his usual massive exaggerations and in his reference to the Winnipeg game. Yeah, the team isn't playing well, but I felt they weren't as horrendous as he made it out to sound like. I liked that effort vs Winnipeg, because for the first time in a bit I noticed emotion in the game from a Canuck standpoint.

<p><p>The bloody truth hurts doesn't it? We may not like what Gallagher has written however, most of it hits the nail right on the head. I don't like paying $175 bucks a pop to see players doggin' it out there. The fans deserve much more than that. We are all aware of the team's potential and talent so why should a poorer style of play be acceptable. All those players are millionaires, being paid a lot of money to play a game they all enjoy. If the game is getting too much of a burden for any of them then I suggest they retire.

On your first point, I'd gladly pay $175 for myself, and even you to accompany me, to watch the Canucks "dog it out there" if it means they are more rested for the playoffs.

As for your second point, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are getting paid to win the cup.

It's not work ethic, there are fundamental strategy issues that need to be addressed (Driving the Net in the Offensive Zone, Puck Movement Anticipation in the Defensive Zone). These issues are not new, they have been present for the last 3 seasons, and have only been unexposed or circumvented but never fixed. We can fix it though, the issue is that they seem clueless about it.

These SEEM to be a result of lazy play, but lazy play is seeing a player not do the things he could do with a little more effort. What we see are players working hard and committing to inefficient actions, but seem oblivious to certain options of play that are necessary for greater efficiency success.

Tony G might be a bit over the top but he more or less is speaking the truth for at least the present effort level of the Canucks in every aspect of the game.

Saturday's game was straight up embarrassing.

Henrik Sedin taking that kind of disrespect with no response from him, again, or his team sends a clear message to the contenders that our stars are for the taking.

This needs to end before the playoffs. AV needs to dress a roster before the post season that exemplifies sour teams aggressive potential.

We have the skill, depth, and tending. We need the muscle and the attitude that goes along with it.

Archived