The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

People Bashing What Ehrhoff Said + Why I Want Him Back

Ugli Fruit

These people assume he said that to be politically correct while getting the big bucks. This is an outright fail.

He said something like, "My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and with the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen."

Retarded comment or actually is valid? It's the latter.

Buffalo is the biggest underachiever of this season. On paper, they are stacked. A top-6 of Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, Drew Stafford, Brad Boyes, Jochen Hecht with people like Patrick Kaleta, Tyler Ennis and now Hodgson in the mix makes for a very strong offense.

Their D has Jordan Leopold, Robyn Regehr, Tyler Myers and Andrej Sekera. Ehrhoff might have been wrong when he said we weren't the best team, but at the same time, Buffalo is a good team. They also have a Vezina winner Ryan Miller.

I also miss Ehrhoff. He worked out PP well. He still moved the puck better than Edler does now. The problem with Edler is that he often finds himself in a situation where he can't do much with the puck (ie. high at the point while a forward is right o him). This means that Edler is still not 100% good on the PP, whereas Ehrhoff was our outright best PP quarterback.

Why do you think our PP is sucking right now? It's because the pointmen are sucking badly. I guarantee that Ehrhoff would help our PP be #1 in the league.

Comparing his point totals to our D-men is dumb because the situations are different. The entire Buffalo team has been sucking all season while we lit it up at least 60% of the games.

P.S. He scored against us and we lost to them. Thoughts?

I have never been upset with Hoff. He has worked hard his entire life for that contract and you can bet that anyone of his haters would gladly move across the continent for that sum of money. But any time you have a player chose money over the team, there are going to be haters....that's just how it works.

And I miss him too.

Wanting him back is senseless - the Canucks couldn't afford the ridiculous contract Buffalo offered him. C'est la vie. We move on without him.

p.s. who cares about one game? banking a goal off a defenseman's skate is not worthy of a second thought.

I think it was a stupid comment. Yes, I thought the Sabres would be good this year. But I didn't expect them to contend. They would have needed career bests from a lot of key players in order to have the talent and depth necessary for a deep run.

Let's assume that - in addition to Buffalo - at least Vancouver and one other team (I'm think Detroit) had a lot of interest in Ehrhoff. Given that, Buffalo was certainly not the best team available to Ehrhoff. So either he was creative with his words or was very stupid.

On your other point, I would also like Buffalo back. Obviously, he's a good player. But I still think it was necessary for MG to let him walk rather than compromise the team's internal cap structure. It would be not only unfair but also stupid to demand players take discounts to stay and then break from that stance for the first guy who demands open market value.

It would be unfair to the current core guys who took discounts. It would be a slap in the face to them. And that could cause chemistry issues.

And it would be stupid as it would give Gillis no leverage in future negotiations. Giving into Ehrhoff's demands would have set a higher internal cap. If MG gave into Ehrhoff, it would make it more likely that future impending free agents would demand market value or walk. Assuming Gillis wouldn't have done a 10-year deal, I bet it would've taken roughly 5.5M over 5 years to keep Ehrhoff. If MG gave him that contract, then what do you think Edler would be clamouring for in a year?

Canucks have lost a lot of creativity and unpredictable-ness with the loss of Ehrhoff on the PP. Edler and Salo, while great players, don't have the offensive instincts to keep the opposition guessing. Our PP has been reduced to a lot of "get it back to the point for a booming slapshot". It worked for a while, but teams are starting to figure out our PP and it has gone ice cold since.

And yes, Sabres are underachieving this season. They have a lot of good talent on paper, but they need to make a few adjustments. Such sacrificing too much size/grit for talent. WIth a few adjustments in the off season, they should be ready to content next year.

On a side note, they have been playing well lately and are currently tied for 9th in the East.

These people assume he said that to be politically correct while getting the big bucks. This is an outright fail.

He said something like, "My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and with the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen."

Retarded comment or actually is valid? It's the latter.

Buffalo is the biggest underachiever of this season. On paper, they are stacked. A top-6 of Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, Drew Stafford, Brad Boyes, Jochen Hecht with people like Patrick Kaleta, Tyler Ennis and now Hodgson in the mix makes for a very strong offense.

Their D has Jordan Leopold, Robyn Regehr, Tyler Myers and Andrej Sekera. Ehrhoff might have been wrong when he said we weren't the best team, but at the same time, Buffalo is a good team. They also have a Vezina winner Ryan Miller.

I also miss Ehrhoff. He worked out PP well. He still moved the puck better than Edler does now. The problem with Edler is that he often finds himself in a situation where he can't do much with the puck (ie. high at the point while a forward is right o him). This means that Edler is still not 100% good on the PP, whereas Ehrhoff was our outright best PP quarterback.

Why do you think our PP is sucking right now? It's because the pointmen are sucking badly. I guarantee that Ehrhoff would help our PP be #1 in the league.

Comparing his point totals to our D-men is dumb because the situations are different. The entire Buffalo team has been sucking all season while we lit it up at least 60% of the games.

P.S. He scored against us and we lost to them. Thoughts?

While he is a talented D man and was sweet on the PP, he is too pricey now for us.

This is why the cap exists from preventing a strong team like the Canucks to be even stronger by retaining Erhoff.

I do not miss his defensive miscues. I do miss his nice passing and shot.

His contract is bad though. Buffalo GM will be long gone before Erhoffs well runs dry in 9 + years of multi million stupidity....

He will be good for a few years, but will be a boat anchor by the time he is 37.

While he is a talented D man and was sweet on the PP, he is too pricey now for us.

This is why the cap exists from preventing a strong team like the Canucks to be even stronger by retaining Erhoff.

I do not miss his defensive miscues. I do miss his nice passing and shot.

His contract is bad though. Buffalo GM will be long gone before Erhoffs well runs dry in 9 + years of multi million stupidity....

He will be good for a few years, but will be a boat anchor by the time he is 37.

Ehrhoff is an over-rated player who decided he'd rather go for the money than play on the Vancouver Canucks, the best team in hockey last year.

I was glad when the Hoff left, fricken brutal in the SCF, might as well of worn a Bruins jersey.

Yeah so? Edler should have been sitting with a broken thumb, Kesler should have been having hip surgery, etc. Injuries are a way of life for the pro hockey player, they have to be able to play through them while maintaining a high level of play. Although not very many of them did in the finals, Ehrhoff's play seemed to be the worst out of the entire team IMO.

Archived