The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bieksa - Injury

Strombone1

When Bieksa took that high stick I was worried he was gonna have an injury like Malhotra did, it looked like it caught him directly in the eye at first.

Sounds like they're just resting him a bit and maybe experimenting with the defensive pairings some more. I don't think AV has our playoff pairings nailed down just yet.

It's a good time to get Alberts some ice time - he has been the odd guy out as Gragnani gets his games in and gets accustomed to his role here. It is very promising to see the Canucks play so well defensively with two rookies and Alberts in the lineup - Grags is improving, Tanev is a bluechip, and I'v heard complaints about Alberts, but I love the way he has progressed this year - he has become a very solid, reliable guy who just happens to be on a club with a whole lot of depth - otherwise he is a legitimate third pairing defenseman.

Ya, last night was a defensive tour d'force. Like Lou the previous game if not for Schneider that game would not have been close. Tanev and Alberts had their moments but MAG was a turnover machine. How they do the game stats is a mystery to me as they charged him with 1 turnover. I counted 3 in one shift!

The positive IMHO was that the forwards are coming back into the d-zone for puck support much better than during the losing streak. AV is spreading the ice time which gives the 3rd & 4th line a real opportunity to pick up their games going into the playoffs. Higgins has really impacted the 3rd. The 4th line is really catching my attention. Most shifts are in the opposing zone and they are banging. Quite happy with how Kassian is adjusting. Would like a little more hitting from him but I am sure that coaching has told him to ease off and focus on their systems before increasing his physical play.

You're right. 45 shots against is not indicative of a great defensive game. Schneider was great, as was Luongo against the Kings.

I think your second paragraph is correct as well. The forwards coming back are really helping out with clearing the zone. (albeit after a couple of shots against) Last night when the Avs were pressing for the equalizer, I saw Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, Pahlsson and Booth all collapse to the slot at one time or another and clear the puck from the danger area.

Plus, there were two plays in the offensive zone, which were huge contributions defensively.

First, it was Burrows holding off 4 members of the Avs while on the PK, then it was Higgins out-racing the Avs' defender to negate an icing call and seasling the deal for the Canucks. Those are the kind of efforts that translate into wins.

It also doesn't hurt having two goaltenders pitching shutouts...

I think the shots are a bit misleading. I did not see many real solid scoring chances and thought the Canucks controlled the game and kept all the shots to the outside, cleared the rebounds, and did not give up many odd man rushes.

Ya, last night was a defensive tour d'force. Like Lou the previous game if not for Schneider that game would not have been close. Tanev and Alberts had their moments but MAG was a turnover machine. How they do the game stats is a mystery to me as they charged him with 1 turnover. I counted 3 in one shift!

The positive IMHO was that the forwards are coming back into the d-zone for puck support much better than during the losing streak. AV is spreading the ice time which gives the 3rd & 4th line a real opportunity to pick up their games going into the playoffs. Higgins has really impacted the 3rd. The 4th line is really catching my attention. Most shifts are in the opposing zone and they are banging. Quite happy with how Kassian is adjusting. Would like a little more hitting from him but I am sure that coaching has told him to ease off and focus on their systems before increasing his physical play.

I think the shots are a bit misleading. I did not see many real solid scoring chances and thought the Canucks controlled the game and kept all the shots to the outside, cleared the rebounds, and did not give up many odd man rushes.

Archived