The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Player Is The Most Valuable To The Canucks

D.Doughty

WOW the fans really do take the Sedins for granted...The most valuable player is the one that you can't really replace and the team would be ineffective without him.

Henrik is easily the MVP of this team and will stay that way as long as the Canucks stay elite. You can replace a Hamhuis, even a Luongo but there is only a handful of players in the NHL that can play at the level of Henrik. Without Henrik this team is in no way a contender for the cup.

I feel that we underestimate the importance of Bieksa.

He is not just part of the heart of this team but he is a rally-er for the team. He leads by example and provides the ruthless hard hitting grit not only at the back but increasingly in offence. We feed off him in terms of spirit and his never say die attitude.

Burrows; who is the guy that can make anybody else's talent tick. Who else plays power play, short-handed, 1st line, 2knd line, 3rd line, 4 on 4, virtually every shoot out. Who provides the before and after whistle feist that keeps the competitiveness in the team?

And who else embodies his team mates, as he did for Luc Bourdon, greets them before every game & paces them in practice? We have a couple of guys more talented. But Burrows is the heart and soul Canuck!

:towel:

Honourable mention to Hamhuis & Higgins!

We have seen that the Canucks were able to win without D.Sedin- arguably our best offensive threat throughout the past 3 years.

We were able to survive without Bieksa for more than a few games this year and prior to that, almost half the season.

We had proven we were able to survive without Luongo in net

In the first month or so, we were able to survive without Kesler

So let me ask you, which player would we not be able to survive without, or is it that everytime someone goes down, someone else rises to the occasion.

The team goes as Luongo does. When he's on, they win. When he's off? When can you rememebr a time when this team has honest and truly bailed out their goaltender? It hardly EVER happens. Boston baield out Thomas big time in the series in Tampa. When Luongo hasn't looked great, the rest of the team has looked even worse.

Luongo always protects Schneider. No Luongo? No one to take the blame for Schneider. No way for him to have developed as he has. People love Schneider without even having seen him in a full season with him as the starter, or any really truly 'big' games. The only time we've seen him in big games thus far, was Calgary when we could've clinched the president's trophy, and in the playoffs last year where he honestly basically gift wrapped the game to Chicago with turnovers. Games against Chicago in the regular season? Intense, but he had a stinker in one of them. Boston? Rematch, and hyped, but honestly? Just another game. Nothing was on the line, and I'd be highly disappointed in the team if they thought that winning that game somehow made up for losing the SCF, even in the slightest bit.

As was demonstrated for far too many games in this season.. our goalies need to play great for us to win. If they struggle, it's usually a loss. Our offense has been very unreliable, it has for a few years. We score a lot, but it's kind of like the twins. They can score in bunches and rack up 100+ point seasons, but then there's stretches of large amounts of games where you wonder why they've completely disappeared. Our most consistent players are our 'third' and fourth liners, in Higgins and Lapierre. Our best forward in the SCF last year? Lapierre. It's not good when a guy not scoring much is somehow your best player when he's on the 4th line.

I'd also say Hamhuis and Salo are important. Our SCF chances kind of died when Hamhuis went down. And the years before, Salo injuries against Chicago were the death of us. I mean seriously, for as much 'depth' as we supposedly have, we sure do play like ass with one of them out.

lol at luongo picks. If the canucks didn't have schneider then I would agree but it's not like Schneider is losing every game he plays. If he went down it wouldnt be as badly felt as losing hamhuis or one of the sedins. Higgins I think has been pretty key lately too as he fixes whatever line he plays on. Since he left kesler and booth, they have stopped producing and now pahlsson and hansen are picking up points.

At least it's been shown that the Canucks have been able to deal with some injuries and continue to find a way to win without some key players this season as it's imperative to winning the cup.

Luongo...he's proven even without someone to back him up like Schneider. Who knows what would happen to Schneider once he's off this early-career high and doesn't have someone like Luongo playing side-by-side with him all season. Also Henrik and Hamhuis...

Depends if you consider who could replace him.

If the question was who do we depend on to have a good game, then the answer is most certainly Luongo.

But if Luongo went down, we have Schneider who I'm very comfortable with. As such, I would not pick Luongo to answer your question.

I think Kesler and Hamhuis. Kesler was our spark for much of last year until he got injured. Other teams will do their best (and may succeed) in shutting down our top line so we will be looking to Kesler to spark the 2nd line to score. He can be quite a dominant player when he's working his butt off.

Hamhuis is our shut down guy. Salo is good at it as well, but I feel Hamhuis is a better rounded player... be it due to skill set or just the fact he isn't as old as Salo. Regardless, I think a healthy Hamhuis will be key this year.

Honorable mention goes to Edler. He is our main offensive threat from the blueline.

Archived