The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Are Jim Hughson & Craig Simpson Anti-Canucks?

Luongo's Soul Patch

Simpson not letting go of the Edler goal as being high stick tipped by Raymond really was the straw that broke the camels back for me!

I just wish I could more easily line up the 1040 broadcast to the t.v feed. It was a minute and a half delay.

I have to say that they were pretty spot on most of the time. They possibly could've been taking LA's side more often, but that's probably more to do with LA outworking the Canucks in long stretches of the game and the Canucks responding with chirpring and diving instead of elevating their own game. You can't ask them to take the Canucks' homer angle on a national broadcast.

Now I'm used to hearing all the away games from the opposing teams broadcasts so I'm used to all the anti-Canucks talk. It was actually not bad this year. Last year was horrible for it. Every other away game seemed like they were chiming in on how much the Canucks were divers. It was especially hard to watch in the playoffs when I wanted all the homerism possible ;) I think there must've been a big deal made of it because this year I was surpised how Canucks sided some other teams' broadcasts have been.

I'm not sure about Simpson, he seems biased against the Canucks at times. I don't find Hughson to be anti-Canuck though. If anything he may be slightly pro-Canuck, at least when we're playing American teams. He seems pretty enthusiastic about the team.

Did anyone else notice that the CBC commentators were very anti-canucks?

I mean what was that whole thing about Lapierre arguing with the linesman over an offside,

"because that's who he is."

And whenever a Canuck fell it was always "he goes down easily."

Its like they don't even give the players benefit of the doubt.

I mean the Canucks dive sometimes, but they do stumble and fall; they are playing on ice after all.

Biased commentating like this makes the team look bad, and gives people watching all over Canada a negative image of the Canucks.

Simpson is bais, simply put. Though his commentary on Kesler was shamefully accurate. Kes, get your head in the game, not the gamesmanship. But Simpson calling Lu for diving when Richards speared him in the chest... wtf is that bull?

I hate it. I really want to listen to hughson call the game but I can't stand simpson.

I love how we played our most embarasssing game in months (diving, no killer instinct, hundreds of penalties) and yet someone here complains about the "Anti-Canuck" commentating.

Jim Hughson has been blowing our team since I can remember. He'll always have a soft spot for us. Simpson? Ex-Oiler and KIng? Yah, he probably doesn't like us all that much.

I hate when people just assume Jim Hughson supports the Canucks. He's from bc yes and he used to cover Canuck games, but he's full Toronto now. He 100% does not support the Canucks and constantly takes shots at the players and fans throughout the game. You might not notice it because Simpson quickly chimes in with his typical Canucks are divers act.

WE WERE DIVING! The Hank dive was super blatant, and the refs made us pay, LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO when a player makes them look foolish, with 4 unanswered pp's. The Kes fall was almost as bad.

Believe it or not the Canucks are critiqueable just like any other team in the league.

Did anyone else notice that the CBC commentators were very anti-canucks?

I mean what was that whole thing about Lapierre arguing with the linesman over an offside,

"because that's who he is."

And whenever a Canuck fell it was always "he goes down easily."

Its like they don't even give the players benefit of the doubt.

I mean the Canucks dive sometimes, but they do stumble and fall; they are playing on ice after all.

Biased commentating like this makes the team look bad, and gives people watching all over Canada a negative image of the Canucks.

I think the Hughson was fine last night but Simpson, on the other hand, is just terrible. At one point, he was complaining about Kesler and how he's not putting up any points. I realize he's has been in a slump lately, but this was shortly after Kesler picked up his 2nd assist of the night.

The negativity in the broadcast against this team is unbearable. Even the panel was saying how Henny lost the puck after a box out play, when the play actually ended in a scoring chance. It makes me think that they write their opinions ahead of time and fill in the blanks live.... I would love to see sportsnet have rights to playoff games, I miss shorty and John already!

Archived