The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So Out Of The 2 We Pick Cory. Possible Destinations For Lou?

mshtws

You guys have it all wrong.

Mark my words..Luongo has been heard saying..he was contemplating retirement after these playoffs .

So not only this decision by AV will make his decision easier. Vancouver will get nothing back for him and will have to sign Schneider a new contract which will entail a minimum of 3 million salary cap a season.

Back to square one...Will have to find a capable backup at least a couple of millions a year cause with the cramping problem he incurs almost evry game he wont be able to goal more than 50 games a year.

That is AV's decision. Therefore, AV is 95% gone after the season. Gillis will decide who stays.

I know Schneider is the obvious choice, but if Schneider can get us a superstar (example Nash) and Luongo can only get us a 2-3rd line player (example Ryan Clowe)...(those guys are not proposal just examples)

Are we better off with

Nash-Luongo

or

Schneider-Clowe

This decision does not make Lui feel good I am sure (hence his not meeting with the media) but it may have little or no impact on his future here. Personally, I could still see either of them getting dealt. Luongo to Tampa, Florida, Toronto or Schneider to any number of teams.

I believe we will not see Lui play another Canuck game. The best goalie in Canucks history is making room for the next best goalie in Canucks history.

I agree that it seems like this decision means we'll keep schneider and try to deal luongo, but it may not be the case depending on what trades are available. I also think trading schneider gives the canucks a great chance to win the cup next year since they will be able to immediately bring in a pretty big piece of the puzzle but trading luongo, much less of a bidding war since teams know of his inconsistent play as of late and more importantly he has a huge contract that a lot of organizations may not be willing to absorb. I'm guessing Lu will likely be able to bring in a solid 2nd line player if dealt whereas schneids + a player to create cap space would be more in line with getting a first line player to go with the sedins or a star playmaker you could use with kesler

Is no one considering that we could sign Cory to 3million or less and keep both next year?

Do we really believe that ego and insult are that big a driving force to both these guys?

8.5m cap hit or less combined for the back to back President's Trophy winning duo sounds great to me!! Dunno about you guys though...maybe you want a good goalie with a nobody backup..i want a good goalie night in and night out. These two guys give us that, mystique, of a true tandem in net and possibly for years to come at 8.5 or less. I would do that.

That's assuming Cory is only in it for the money. Personally, I think Cory is more motivated by becoming a starter and playing more games then he is by necessarily getting a good paycheck and being a backup. I don't see him wanting to remain in Luongo's shadow especially as he is now 26 and has proven he can be a starter on most teams.

I am actually suggesting 41 games each: two starters. I suspect we would win north of 60 wins with this format: neither goalie overworked, and neither goalie getting cold. This past season the Rangers, Canucks and Pittsburgh all won 51 games to top the season for wins...with a true 2 number 1 goalie system, if both guys buy into it has huge upside for the team, and if they are both into it, for the longevity and value of both goalies.

Archived