The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Mitchell Offers His Thoughts On Luongo

IMyMeMine

I've been pushing for Schneider to take over the #1 job since mid- last season. I absolutely love the guy. I wouldn't hesitate to get on the Eddie Lack bandwagon if he comes in and starts playing significantly better than Schneider though. The best goalie with the most reasonable cap hit has to play, its always going to be that way.

mitchell is great. lu was great, and could be again.

but in regards to the lu/schneids debate: compare this with montreal (price and halak) as it is a similar situation (i.e. 2 great goalies, 2 big hockey markets). montreal went with the guy they knew, the "star", and where are they now? obviously they have A LOT more issues than the canucks in other areas, but that's moot. whereas halak (though injured now) shared the jennings trophy and had a good chance at winning the president's trophy.

also, so what if players are "run out of town" (and i don't think naslund really fits this category). that's the environment of hockey, in markets that draw large crowds, and where players actually want to be. we should appreciate that liberty, but continue to hold very high standards of everyone in the organization. besides, they're big boys, i don't think too many feelings get hurt in most cases. and when you're making a couple million wherever you play, i would certainly hope that player, fans and everyone else can understand the business of the game.

oh, and not to mention the fact that fans really have little say (even if we like to believe we do) in who goes, who stays and who comes in. no one's really getting "run out of town", no matter how many funny pictures the province or the sun print.

what we need is for the stupid media and the retarded fans we have in Vancouver to stop starting a goalie controversy and trade talks in the middle of a bloody series.. sure we might get eliminated next game.. but can't all these wait til the series is over? All this does is put further pressure on both our goalie.. what happens if we do make it thru the first round some how? and we needed Luongo to come in because Schneider isn't playing well or injured? how do you think he'll perform when we are dumping all these unnecessary pressure on them? the way the media and the fans here are talking it's as if we are down 3-0 because Luongo was the worse player on the ice each night and we need to get rid of him coz it's all his fault if the canucks were to get bounced.

what we need is for the stupid media and the retarded fans we have in Vancouver to stop starting a goalie controversy and trade talks in the middle of a bloody series.. sure we might get eliminated next game.. but can't all these wait til the series is over? All this does is put further pressure on both our goalie.. what happens if we do make it thru the first round some how? and we needed Luongo to come in because Schneider isn't playing well or injured? how do you think he'll perform when we are dumping all these unnecessary pressure on them? the way the media and the fans here are talking it's as if we are down 3-0 because Luongo was the worse player on the ice each night and we need to get rid of him coz it's all his fault if the canucks were to get bounced.

Yes totally agree - why are we talking about this when are season could be over monday and the probability of us coming back is not good at all. Vancouver is full of drama queens.

The Pickle speaks the truth and I have a feeling he will expound on his true feelings after this series because he and Lu are still buddies. While I am sure he sees Cory as deserving, he does not feel Lu deserves this kind of treatment. I am sure there are plenty of other players who share the same sentiment.

I hate Mitchell (in a good way, as in I hate playing against him). He's been so awesome this series for the Kings, arguable their best defenseman. Wish we still had him. Having Mitchell playing for our team would make our D that much stronger.

Like I've said many times, Luongo will be run out of this town like Naslund before him because he was blamed for many things that were clearly not his fault.

Oh well this is just the way things are here in Vancouver, fans who can't appreciate what they have. We'll be having this discussion again in 3 - 5 years, only it'll be Schneider being run outta town then.

Archived