The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Bright Future

realnucksfan2010

Who here thinks that this team has abright future, even if MG pulls the plug and makes some big moves?

I do and here's why, Cory Schneider, Zack Kassian, Chris Tanev, Alex Edler, Jordan Schreoder, Kevin Connaughton, Eddie Lack, Bill Sweatt, Frank Corado, Nick Jensen...... the list goes on and on!!

It is not the end of the world if a few big pieces get moved, we have a truck load of very promising young talent just itching for a chance.

Thats just the way i see it anyways... Thoughts?

Hey guys I own a restaurant in Woodbidge, ON, same town where Mark Cundari was born. The same Mark Cundari that plays for the Peoria Rivermen(St Louis blues AHL affiliate). I had a chance to speak with Mark yesterday as he is home now in the off season. Mark had the privelege to play on 2 Windsor Spitfire Memorial cup winners in 2009, and 2010 season. He also played with Zack Kassian, Taylor Hall etc while he was in that organization. He has nothing but great things to say about Zack. I had told him I was happy that the Canucks aquired him and am excited to see what he can develop into. Mark says that he is a team player, works hard, and fits the power forward type player to a tee. He also mentioned that this guy will be a great player at the NHL level one day b/c he has all the credentials such as speed, skill, and physicality. But above all he has a great attitude and commitment to get better. He has shown us that he can be a force at the AHL level, now he just needs to turn it up a notch and I believe that he will with a full summer of training ahead of him.

Who here thinks that this team has abright future, even if MG pulls the plug and makes some big moves?

I do and here's why, Cory Schneider, Zack Kassian, Chris Tanev, Alex Edler, Jordan Schreoder, Kevin Connaughton, Eddie Lack, Bill Sweatt, Frank Corado, Nick Jensen...... the list goes on and on!!

It is not the end of the world if a few big pieces get moved, we have a truck load of very promising young talent just itching for a chance.

We actually don't have as bright a future as you might think, sorry to break it to you. One of the worst prospect pools in the league combined with a core that isn't getting any younger. Yep, sounds good....

The only saving grace is we have a deep and talented core with many great pieces in place. If you move some of those pieces before they are past their due date you can get some great returns. If we hang onto them too long, we may become Calgary Flames 2.0

I trust MG to make the correct moves in the future though, so yes I guess you can say our future is looking just fine.

this is of course only if the draft picks pan out! I for one think Kassian and Jensen will be terrific players but AV has proven not to play young players very much thus limiting their early growth. Next year would be perfect to slot one or two of these guys in the lineup instead of aquiring old retreads from other teams. Let the kids play!!

Even before the series with the Kings was over I was saying to myself that the only thing that's going to keep me optimistic after it's inevitably all over is the team's future. Having several prospects playing really well with the Wolves and a couple prospects doing well in junior reminded me that it's not over for the Canucks. It was a terrible ending to the season and an unfathomable one, but on the same token this team is built to compete for years. The Canucks (hopefully) are not a one and done team that went all in for a run and will now lose a bunch of their players to retirement or free agency, kind of like what happened to the Hurricanes after they won the Cup in 2006. The core is still young enough that they will make noise for the next few years and there are a few intriguing prospects that could make the jump in the coming years and keep the team a good team while keeping the team fresh and hungry and also possibly making them better.

I keep pointing to Nicklas Jensen. I have nothing really to base this on besides just a gut feeling, but I really feel like the kid could pull a Sean Couturier next season and play a big role for the team and score some key goals. He doesn't seem like the type that's going to require much seasoning. He's got the size, the awareness, the shot. I think what the Canucks really need at this point is for some fresh blood to come in and make and impact and an impression on the veterans. Rookies are a great way to shake a team up. That rookie could be Jensen.

this is of course only if the draft picks pan out! I for one think Kassian and Jensen will be terrific players but AV has proven not to play young players very much thus limiting their early growth. Next year would be perfect to slot one or two of these guys in the lineup instead of aquiring old retreads from other teams. Let the kids play!!

I'd rather follow the Philly mold (guess MG is sort of following that?); keep the successful core as is but realize and don't be afraid to make the changes to fix weaknesses (*cough*trade-Raymond's-Rights*cough*), and continually revamp the team by signing/ trading for ready-made, established players.

For instance, that move made swapping away Richards and Carter for Schenn, Simmonds and Voracek, while bold, was pretty low-risk considering how those guys have either already had successful seasons in the NHL for Wayne and Jakub, or having the top NHL-ready, AGGRESSIVE prospect in Brayden has also given them another young player who is already ready to contribute.

Their combination of skilled physical and MENTAL toughness is what this team could really use. They have guys like Hartnell, Giroux, Talbot, Schenn, Simmonds, J.V.R., heck even Briere (for his size), Jagr, etc. who are physically capable and mentally tough, and have shown that they're capable of playing the grind-it-out playoff style of hockey, yet they can also turn on the jets and play wide-open games much like in the series against Pittsburgh. Their blend of D-men are also quite good, with both talented puck-movers (Timonen, Carle, Meszaros) and guys with size (Pronger, Grossmann, Coburn, Lilja).

Even more importantly, the coach isn't afraid to use young rookies who are ready to step in! That's how longevity and a bright future for the team can be sustained.

I find it ridiculous to hear that the Canucks have a weak "prospect pool" - some of the ranking sources are extremely weak themselves - if you look at HF (Hockey's Future) for example, the mains source most people refer to, they state that the team's #1 weakness is a lack of goaltending depth - probably the most laughable claim regarding the organization imaginable.

They don't have Kassian in the top 18 of Canucks prospects - they list him as an other notable. The same for Gragnani, who they ironically give a higher rating than Tanev, Sauve and Connauton.

I prefer to think for myself rather than accept the rankings of weak sources.

Jensen is a bluechip. NuxFanO9 - he's had a point a game in the OHL and then after his callup to the Wolves had 4 goals in 6 games and another 2 in 2 playoff games. I thought he looked great as a youngster in the preseason - smart, poised, skilled (looked a little like a young Sedin).

Kassian is a bluechip. Lack is a bluechip.

Tanev, Connauton, Gragnani, Sauve - a wealth of very promising blueliners.

Rodin and Schroeder have stiff competition to climb the depth chart, but you never know.

The Canucks have a lot of depth at all positions already and legitimate NHL prospects at every position - they only have a few spots for prospects to fill and have a lot of candidates...They also have the option of moving a roster player or two for more young prospects as the current prospects earn spots.

HF also states that the #1 strength is bluechippers at the top. They got that part right. Only the guys at the top are going to find spots on the Canucks...

The future is very bright.

Well said canucksprospect! This team is stacked with not only established players but also blue chip and very promising prospects, even if MG decides to move a few big pieces we are not going to be hurting. I do agree with some of you with re guards to AV leaving though, this guy doesn't like to use younger players much, i can't figure that out considering the potential some of our prospects have.

If you don't give them opportunities to prove them selves then how can they reach their potential, these young guys need the experience.

With re guards to other prospects and their names, you have access to the same info i do so look it up!

I just listed a few that stood out in my mind as examples.

Archived