The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows ... [How Much] Does Mg Really Want Him?

Dogbyte

Burrows is one of those players you just know will be a lifetime Canuck. I can't see Gillis letting him go or him even wishing to leave. He'll get re-signed, for sure, but to a more fair number to him. I hope he's signed for another 4 years. No clue about the dollar amount, though.

He'll sign for a big discount if MG offer's him a long contract. If his offer isn't at least for five years, he'll ask for market value or test free agency to find a team that he can move to and retire with. The whole "what's best for his family" thing isn't about money. It's about having to move constantly

I bet he'd do

7 years at $2.5 front loaded.

Im pretty confident that burrows will take a slight discount in order to stay with the Canucks. Its funny cause i can totally see him getting a raise and getting around 3 - 4.5mil per season and if he doesn't perform will probably get boo'd and shunned like Kesler or Luongo.

For people saying that he needs money in order to take care of his family and such things like that...somehow I get the feeling even after Burrows retires there will still be a spot for him in the Canucks.

Hate to throw cold water on Burr's stats, but let's keep it real. Almost any player in the league could score 30 with the Sedins. Just like Setoguchi - a 40 goal man with Thornton, now he cant crack 20 with the Wild.

Burr is overrated. Overrated! He would be an ideal guy to trade NOW- I bet he would fetch as much as Kesler on the market right now, even tho he isn't half the player.

Burr and Luongo to TO for Pahneuf, Monster and Ashton.

Fans won't stand for Gillis lowballing Burrows and you think 3.5 x 4yrs is fair? So Burrows is going to take 30% less than someone like Ales Hemsky?

It's going to take in the neighbourhood of 5m/yr to sign Burrows. When he's up for grabs teams will be throwing money at him. He's a consistent scorer, plays PP, kills penalties, is a team guy and scores clutch goals.

Burrows, his agent and myself laugh at your 3.5 offer.

Ladd and Fleischmann are bigger players, which has some value. And Marchand signed his contract when RFA, so its not really a comparable.

But I would much rather have Burrows than Fleschmann, he easily plays with more heart. Ladd, well he's also a heart and soul guy. Burrows, unless he gets injured would command that $4.? on the open market.

Us? He double shifted on the 1st, 2knd and 3rd lines in early March when we were in a post deadline malaise, almost single handedly picking the team up and slapping a sense of compete into everybody. He is a must keep, must sign guy and really should be given a fair contract to reward him for his sacrifices to this time. When Manny's $2.5 expires, I would give Burr his salary plus all the difference. It's the right thing to do!

As we all know Alexandre Burrows is on his last year of perhaps the best value contract in the league. $2 mil a year for a guy who has recorded 28, 35, 26, and 28 goals in his last 4 years. No contract year player here. Wow! This is where it could get tricky for MG. I am amongst others here who think that the Sedins could really benefit from a big bodied pure sniper, admittedly this type of player is basically a star in his own right. Regardless of that price I think we need another genuine player with skill which means money. So when it comes to renegotiating the 31 year old Burrows contract what is his asking price and does adding another top 6 forward make it hard to fit Alex into the team?

Players that have scored the same amount of goals last year and are not on entry level contracts are Andrew Ladd, Brad Marchand, and Thomas Fleischmann. Marchand only makes $2.5 mil a year while the other two make $4.5. My gut tells me that $3.5 or $3.75 over another 4 years to bring Alex to 35 years of age would be fair. What do you guys think he will get and what do you think he deserves?

I hate to be the voice of reason but if you were outside of the Canucks love for this guy and an impartial GM this contract might be one to let go in the UFA market. I mean he could get $4 mil a year or even more couldn't he? Knowing Burr he will sign for a good value ... hopefully.

I ask becasue I really would hope that we can sign a high calibre player to put with the Sedins which also leaves you wondering where Burrows would play. He plays great with Kesler but I don't know if that would work with Booth. Our line-up is so difficult. A really solid player would solve a lot of questions.

Anyways, what do you think happens, what is he worth, do we keep him no matter what, or do you think MG could trade him? Montreal would probably love him, maybe Subban or Tinordi in return?

Burrows can play anywhere from the 3rd line to the 1st. He is great on both sides of the ice, if we can i think MG should re-sign him for about 3-4 years for less than $4M. Maybe $3-$3.5M? that would be quite fair.

With that being said I would prefer to have another (better player) with the Sedins, and Burrows could play on the 2nd line (still play the offensive role) or on the third line (good depth guy).

Archived