The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Do The Canucks Need

I think personally that the canucks need a top power forward that will fight, hit, (young if possible) and still put up 50 or more points that might be kassian but I feel he not ready yet. The other thing I think we need is a top passer who will get 35 assists or more with Kesler when he healed and Booth if not traded. I also know some other people think we need a top 4 defender and they are right but it looks like we'll be getting garrison and maybe schultz so if I right we will have 10 defenders if Rome walks. I think that with 1 more year with experience tanev and ballard will be top 4 defender once Salo retires.

Top power forwards available (RFA AND UFA)

Parise (we can dream)

Gaustad

Jokinen

Top passer available (RFA AND UFA)

Parenteau (would be good with kesler and booth)

Whitney

Voracek

Also the canucks could move up in the upcoming draft and find what they need for a cheaper price.

skilled 2nd liner to get balanced offense between 1st/2nd.

i'm talking about a real offense threat, not another promoted 3rd liner (hi Higgins) or a one year wonder vet with two or more bad years (hello Booth)

defense:

protect goalie

make it hard on opposing forwards to come into the zone

wear out opposing forwards by hitting them

move the puck quickly so the forwards can breakout

quarterback the powerplay

smooth stride to go in and out of either zone

shut down opposing forwards

adds a element of a point shot as an arsenal.

shot block

clear the zone

better defense, makes the whole team better. Teams got enough offense, and already have the goalies.

1. A legit #1 defenseman. Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Edler are all good, but they're not Chara, Weber, Lidstrom, Niedermayer type good.

2. A top six player with REAL skill. Kesler, Booth, and Higgins are all gritty and hard working. The Canucks need to surround them with somebody who actually has playmaking ability.

3. A coach who isn't afraid to play young players on cheap entry level contracts so that Mike Gillis has the flexibility to add the above mentioned #1 defenseman and top six forward............... but looks like its too late for that now!

Top six forward or two (preferably a playmaker)

A bottom 6 guy with size, grit, and speed

A pair of top 4 d men

So it would look something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Parise - Kesler - Kane

Prust - Schroeder - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Suter

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

They need a top 4 defenseman to play with Edler. A young shutdown, physical defenseman

They also need a play-making winger to play on the 2nd line with Kesler. I think a dark horse out there that many people have overlooked because he is a scorer is Brad Boyes. He isn't a pass first guy but he does both, pass and shoot, he's a playmaker and I think a 1-year deal at like 3 million would be good!

Aside from that coaching staff need to make some significant adjustments to style and situational play

1. A legit #1 defenseman. Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Edler are all good, but they're not Chara, Weber, Lidstrom, Niedermayer type good.

If Schneider pulls a Cam Ward and gets the strong D group in front of him like Cam did when he won his Cup then I don't think a legit #1 guy would be necessary. Sign Garrison as Edler's partner and get Harrison for Ballard.

2. A top six player with REAL skill. Kesler, Booth, and Higgins are all gritty and hard working. The Canucks need to surround them with somebody who actually has playmaking ability.

Agreed; hope Schroeder can surprise!

3. A coach who isn't afraid to play young players on cheap entry level contracts so that Mike Gillis has the flexibility to add the above mentioned #1 defenseman and top six forward............... but looks like its too late for that now!

If people want a #1 defender like suter or weber they will want 5 or more million a year and long term contract. I understand about the importance of defense but if we get garrison and schultz we might not have #1 defender now but we will have schultz, tanev and sauve those are 3 great prospects that will be great 3-5 years. What we need is a top 6 passer. and the 3rd line center is also certain that it will be schroeder. It not a big need but if we can get a big top 6 power forward that could be a difference between winning the cup or not.

Archived