The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaborik To Be Moved?

Here`s what John Tortorella had to say after the game last night:

“Some guys handled [momentum swings] very well, some guys didn’t. I’ll be honest with you. Some guys didn’t. And those are the things we have to talk about as an organization if we’re going to continue to try to get better.”

I’m going to take a medium-sized leap and suggest that he’s talking about Marian Gaborik, whose playoff play was uninspiring. Gaborik has a history of shrinking as the moment gets bigger. In 2010, Tortorella had this to say about Gaborik:

“I don’t like the way he has played in big games. I still think he needs to cross the line there and play better in big games.”

The Rangers are a team with Stanley Cup aspirations. Their young core got 20 games of playoff experience this year, which will be valuable moving forward.

Gaborik now has 1 goal and 0 assists in 10 Conference Finals games in his career. In his last 41 playoff games, going back to Game 6 of the West Semi-Finals in 2003 against the Canucks, Gaborik has 9 goals and 9 assists. Further, he’s looked tentative and unwilling to engage.

I don`t think a team with Stanley Cup aspirations should be paying such a player $7.5 million, and I don`t think they will in the future. I think after the Rangers exit interviews, there will be more talk about this story.

Gaborik does have a NTC, but I don`t think he`ll use if if he doesn`t feel wanted.

Not a chance. He was arguably one of their best performers all season long, and despite having a poor Conference Finals, no other forward (with the exception of Callahan) did either. They are still a young team, and they're just beginning to assert themselves as a force in the East. Barring something drastic, Gaborik will be a Ranger for a long time.

Not a chance. He was arguably one of their best performers all season long, and despite having a poor Conference Finals, no other forward (with the exception of Callahan) did either. They are still a young team, and they're just beginning to assert themselves as a force in the East. Barring something drastic, Gaborik will be a Ranger for a long time.

Honestly he's a one man skill show on that team, Richards is a great player and the only other guy that id compare skill to, other than that he's an offensive player on a defensive team and that usually doesn't work out

When he was younger, he was an essential part of the Minnesota Wild's comeback against the Vancouver Canucks in 2003. Many say he singlehandedly destroyed the Canucks.

That Marian Gaborik has not resurfaced since then, however.

Archived