The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames acquire Dennis Wideman and sign 26M/5 YR deal

Homerism.

Wideman isn't a bad signing. The price is obviously high but it's to be expected when there's virtually no good d-men(besides Suter and Garrison, if you will)

I can guarantee if MG pulled this off, everybody would be praising him and saying what a good job he did to address the defence issue.

The worst thing that comes out of this is that Flames don't get better and they're stuck with Wideman on the payroll for another 5 years at that price. Other than that, they get a solid top-4 guy that helps the PP and takes some pressure off Giordano and Bouwmeester(if he doesn't get traded)

Homerism.

Wideman isn't a bad signing. The price is obviously high but it's to be expected when there's virtually no good d-men(besides Suter and Garrison, if you will)

I can guarantee if MG pulled this off, everybody would be praising him and saying what a good job he did to address the defence issue.

The worst thing that comes out of this is that Flames don't get better and they're stuck with Wideman on the payroll for another 5 years at that price. Other than that, they get a solid top-4 guy that helps the PP and takes some pressure off Giordano and Bouwmeester(if he doesn't get traded)

Trust me I am a rational Canucks fan.

Wideman is a good player, I'm not doubting that, but these are the types of moves Calgary does not need to be making.

Also if Wideman was a Flame last year, does he finish with 46 points? I doubt it.

12 million tied up in Bouwmeester and Wideman

10.2 for Chara and Seidenberg

11.3 for Keith and Seabrook

9.1 for Hamhuis and Bieksa 12.3 including Edler

10.5 for Doughty and Mitchell

9.8 million tied up in Cammalleri and Cervenka

The Flames have less cap space than Vancouver

Canucks have Schneider, Salo and Raymond to sign and will still have 8 million ballpark to work wit - add 5.3 if they trade Luongo.

Flames have 9 free agents - 6 UFAs and 3 RFAs - a whole hell of a lot of gaps to fill and not a hell of a lot of young prospects ready to step up.

The Flames continue to chase after high priced assets, while failing to build any depth or balance in their lineup.

Song remains the same.

If I were a Flames fan, I'd (still) be shaking my head that's for sure.

Archived