The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is a better Defenseman Bieksa or Phaneuf?

Pasific Coluseum

Not who would you rather have on your team but who is overall the better D man.

Contracts, injuries, accolades left aside who is the general consensus more talented player?

Both players play a very physical game. Both aren't considered the most technically sound in their own zone.

I was just thinking if maybe Toronto forked over

To Van:

-Phaneuf

-Kadri

-Colborne

-Kulemin

To Tor:

-Luongo

-Bieksa

-Raymond

-2nd 2013

Would that make any sense?

Not who would you rather have on your team but who is overall the better D man.

Contracts, injuries, accolades left aside who is the general consensus more talented player?

Both players play a very physical game. Both aren't considered the most technically sound in their own zone.

I was just thinking if maybe Toronto forked over

To Van:

-Phaneuf

-Kadri

-Colborne

-Kulemin

To Tor:

-Luongo

-Bieksa

-Raymond

-2nd 2013

Would that make any sense?

Are you guys kidding me? Phaneuf and Bieksa are both terrible defensively - the only reason Bieksa has a hefty plus-minus is because of Hamhuis. You pair Phaneuf with Hamhuis and trust me, Phaneuf would be much better than Bieksa.

Kevin Bieksa has been sheltered his whole career by a defensive defenceman like Mitchell and Hamhuis, allowing him to make stupid gambles without getting burned. He is brutal in his own zone and his shot is nowhere near as good as Phaneuf. All he has over Phaneuf is skating, that's it. Dion's size trumps Bieksa's and he is one of the biggest hitters in the game today, whereas Bieksa is a tiny try-hard who isn't tough or big enough to deal with bigger forwards. Just look at the Boston and Kings series - Bieksa was schooled by their giant forwards.

Phaneuf > Bieksa any day.

Are you guys kidding me? Phaneuf and Bieksa are both terrible defensively - the only reason Bieksa has a hefty plus-minus is because of Hamhuis. You pair Phaneuf with Hamhuis and trust me, Phaneuf would be much better than Bieksa.

Kevin Bieksa has been sheltered his whole career by a defensive defenceman like Mitchell and Hamhuis, allowing him to make stupid gambles without getting burned. He is brutal in his own zone and his shot is nowhere near as good as Phaneuf. All he has over Phaneuf is skating, that's it. Dion's size trumps Bieksa's and he is one of the biggest hitters in the game today, whereas Bieksa is a tiny try-hard who isn't tough or big enough to deal with bigger forwards. Just look at the Boston and Kings series - Bieksa was schooled by their giant forwards.

Phaneuf > Bieksa any day.

Just saying Phaneuf is better than Bieksa without giving any objective evidence is just plain BS. You should at least try to back up your opinion with some kind of objective measurement. Bieksa and Phaneuf both got 44 points, tied for twelfth among defencemen, but Bieksa was +12 and Phaneuf -10 - a difference in +/- of 22, however Bieksa, unlike Phaneuf, did not play first unit PP to inflate his stats. Among defencemen playing even strength, Bieksa was second among D's in the entire league, while Phaneuf was 35th.

No comparison, Bieksa is far better than Phaneuf.

Archived