The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NW division -- Now one of the toughest

Peejay

I wouldn't go so far as to say powerhouse, but they improved significantly. Calgary is aiming for 9th place again. Edmonton could surprise this year, but I expect they're still a year or two away from challenging for the division. Colorado isn't a threat.

Ours isn't the toughest division, but it should be a lot better than previous years.

It won't be a freebie division - but it's hardly a 'power house' team in Minny. Good, yes. Nashville weren't dominant with Suter and Weber -- so how does Suter make them amazing overnight? Parise is great, but enough for that team to be division champs? Probably not.

They'll compete for the middle of the pack - and do just fine.

Let's not panic. Yes Minny just added Suter and Parise but we added Garrison and we already have other great Dmen on the team. And offensively we have the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Booth, and hopefully a few more players who will have good offensive seasons coming up.

But we are definitely no longer kings of the NW. And it's good - the players admitted themselves that playing against an easy group of teams in the division didn't prepare them sufficiently for the first round of the playoffs. They need to learn to be competitive all year long. This'll give us a run for our money and it'll put pressure on all our players to play well consistently.

definitively not one of the toughest.

-calgary : still a bit short to be considered legit

-avalanche : imo the weakest, Landeskog and Duchene, Stastny wont get it done without reel help.

-edmonton : so talented but so young and inexperimented.

-minnesota : Finally a good threat from within the division. so glad they signed there, i like minnesota, a real story of hockey, good spirit. i do see a rivalry with this team, which is always good to have a rival in our own division.

Suter and Parise are very good players but not elite status like the Twins,Crosby,Ovi and Stamkos... they dont deserve that kind of money lol.

I think Parise will be fine because he will have decent wingers to play with. But I have a feeling we'll see how good Suter really is playing without number 6 beside him.

The simple fact there's more than one player on a team should come into the thought pattern here. Adding 2 great players definitely increases a team's chances of winning but there's a lot that goes into calling a team a powerhouse. Don't forget Suter has had Weber thus far in his career. Suter will now have to shoulder more of the load on the back end without a Weber on the other side. Don't forget Minny had Gaberyk (?), who did he have? Minny has more work to do before they're called a power house.

Yes the division is better but I don't think much will change in the near future.

Sorry but 2 signing won't take you from a non playoff team to a powerhouse. Their team is obviously hugely improved, but they need more depth to he considered a powerhouse. Same with Edmonton. They have some future superstars, but lack experience, depth and defense, which is why they still finished last. Colorado is a bubble playoff team at best. The Flames still suck. Overall you might say the NW division is the most improved division, but not one of the toughest. Two players aren't enough to completely transform a division. Compared to the Atlantic division, the NW sucks.

Archived