The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospects You are Most Excited About - A Year Later

Aside from the obvious (Jensen, Gaunce, K Nauts, Sauve, Schroeder, Sweatt, etc) I'm really excited to see how Matt Beattie transitions to the NCAA. he was the best player in the new England prep school system (same place McNally came from, similar domination, and heading to Yale this year to place against McNally and Harvard) it's going to make those Yale/Harvard games even more interesting. I think this kid has the potential to be a real sleeper.

1. Schroeder - Golden opportunity to start the season with the Canucks.

2. Jensen - Interesting to see how he plays in the SEL

3. Mallet - Will he make the wolves? How good is he?

4. Cannata - Is he for real?

5. Connauton - Continues to improve. Gilman said he has a chance to play with the Canucks this year. High-end offensive potential + physical upside.

Its a bit hard to pinpoint which of our prospects to be most excited about because a lot of our prospects will be ready at the same time as opposed to other teams who usually have one or two stand out guys that push to make the squad like Hodgson last year.

Both Jensen, Gaunce and Kassian would do well with another year of development as would Rodin and Connauton. We'll likely see Jensen and Kassian puahing for top 6 spots with Burrows aging an Raymonds contract expiring. while Rodin and Gaunce pushes for a top 9 spot because Lapierre and Higgins contracts expire. Connauton battling for a #6 spot to be paired with Tanev and Sauve as a #7 guys with the possibilites of Ballard being moved and Alberts contract expiring. But because that would be so many rookies in the lineup at once, we'll probably only see Kassia, Jensen and MAYBE Connauton while Rodin and Sauve in the AHl an Gaunce playing his last year of junior. After that batch, we'd have our College and University students with Labate headlining. They will do well with a year in the AHL before pushin for a spot the following year or two after.

And of course players can be re-signed and all that to open less spots in the lineup but its all hypotetical.

Im excited to see how Friesen does with large opponents. Im rooting for this guy to become a servicable bottom-6 guy.

1. Alex Friesen - may he be some kind of Theo Fleury (playing other position though)? I think Alex may be the biggest steal from that draft

2. Jordan Schroeder - golden opportunity for him

3. Niklas Jensen - NHL or Elitserien, interesting how he'll show himself vs men

4. K-Nauts - I think we'll see him for some games next year

5. Brendan Gaunce - interesting, how far is he from be NHL ready

Schroeder - Best pure skill player in our system.

Jensen - PWF/2way forward

Gaunce - Physically ready to play in the NHL. Is going to start out like Kesler did.

Rodin - Isn't afraid to go hard to the net, good speed, and he's a Swede.

Connauton - Our top offensive d-man prospect will compete with Sauve for an NHL job.

HM: Frankie Corrado, Alex Mallet, Pat McNally

• 2 weeks later...

Jensen

Schroeder

Kassian

Polasek

Rodin

Sauve

Connaughton

Gaunce

I think Kassian has been given a pass by the fanbase because they are excited for his powerforward status. He looked to be playing from behind the play far too often last year. Hopefully better conditioning is all he needs.

Jensen is the kind of player that I think can emerge as a legitimate 1st line star player. Very high on him. I see him as a potential Hossa type player with a better sense of the passing/spacing style of play.

Polasek has the kind of physical positioning game that this team could really use on the 3rd pairing.

I'm surprised that so few people have LaBate on their list. He has that huge body and he had a good first year of NCAA hockey. Can possibly play the upcoming WJC if he keep up the good work. My list, if Kassian doesn't count, would be:

1. Jensen

2. Gaunce

3. LaBate

4. Schroder

5. Connauton/McNally

Archived