The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of ppl this year

Jordan Schroeder

Faster than Hodgson? Yes.

Stronger? Hmmm...

Hodgson could take a hit along the boards and keep the puck. I've yet to see Schroeder do that. Sure, he can avoid the boards against huge defenders, but the Canucks use the boards a lot in their system.

If Schroeder succeeds quickly, it will happen because of a season-start lull by our opposition combined with a low qualcomp. If he maintains any sortof success this season, esp against decent competition, then i'll be happily surprised. Worthy of another bow down to Gillis.

Zach Parise scored just 18 goals in 1 full AHL season after scoring 23 in 37 games in NCAA.

David Clarkson scored 13 then 20 goals in his 2 full seasons, but scored 30 last year in the NHL.

Brooks Laich scored just 32 goals 134 AHL games over 3 seasons.

Even Alex Burrows only had 9 goals in 72 games in his only full AHL season.

I think he'll make it just out of necessity with Kesler injured. Don't expect Schroeder to wow us. I don't think he's NHL ready yet.

Historically its taken longer for smaller players to break out; around 24-25 years old. Look at Desharnais, Gerbe, St. Louis, etc.

Just play him the whole season with the canucks. Learn on the fly with the big club. Let him make mistakes here. I dont get why rookies with the canucks dont get a fair shot because every error they make AV penalizes them on it. We've won the PT 2 years in a row, we make the playoffs anyways, seeding clearly doesnt matter a whole lot. I think 2 years in AHL is enough for his skillset. His development can stall if he doesnt play with NHL calibre players with his vision.

I have no doubt that Jordan Schroeder will make the team to start the season and I feel like he'll surprise a lot of people/doubters. I expect him to play the Cody Hodgson role of last season, before he got traded, and do just as well if not better.

I feel that people tend to focus on his size as a deterent from him being a NHL player but forget that in his draft year, many people believed his skillset was that of a top 5 pick. This kid has some real dynamic skill that can translate to the NHL. He has been developed properly the last 2 years in the AHL and has learned to play a reliable 2 way game.

Our team severely lacks playmakers outside of the Sedin twins and one of his strongest assets is his vision and passing abilities. I think you'll see him on the 2nd unit PP much like Hodgson and be effective.

I think in terms of skillsets, he is on par with a guy like Cody Hodgson. But he is a much stronger skater in all facets.

Tons of small players in the NHL have been successful. No reason why Schroeder can't if given a fair shake.

Just play him the whole season with the canucks. Learn on the fly with the big club. Let him make mistakes here. I dont get why rookies with the canucks dont get a fair shot because every error they make AV penalizes them on it. We've won the PT 2 years in a row, we make the playoffs anyways, seeding clearly doesnt matter a whole lot. I think 2 years in AHL is enough for his skillset. His development can stall if he doesnt play with NHL calibre players with his vision.

I think that the Canucks are overdue for a player to come out of our farm system and surprise us.Maybe Schroeder is the guy..Cody Hodgson has great vision and has great passing skills/shot,but was a complete utter failure in his own end.

Schroeder has been working on his defensive game,and taking a mature approach to becoming a better all round player.In his draft year,I recall he was at the top of the heap in the bench press.So strength should not be an issue...He has a great opportunity to get a spot on the roster..Its up to him to take it,and I think he'll suceeed(despite what some of the experts on cdc think).

I think that the Canucks are overdue for a player to come out of our farm system and surprise us.Maybe Schroeder is the guy..Cody Hodgson has great vision and has great passing skills/shot,but was a complete utter failure in his own end.

Schroeder has been working on his defensive game,and taking a mature approach to becoming a better all round player.In his draft year,I recall he was at the top of the heap in the bench press.So strength should not be an issue...He has a great opportunity to get a spot on the roster..Its up to him to take it,and I think he'll suceeed(despite what some of the experts on cdc think).

hadn't seen much of his play, so i took a look at some highlight packages from his '10-11, '11-12 seasons in the AHL. great passer, seems to have great vision and hockey sense as well. not the biggest or the fastest, but he's really crafty with the puck, and he uses his body well to protect it. i thought his backchecking and PK work were solid as well. i also read that he's got a lot of passion for the game which is always a huge plus.

obviously a couple highlight videos don't tell the full story lol, but i see a lot of potential in schroeder. hopefully he can get some solid time on the 2nd/3rd lines to start the season, having more skilled players alongside him should help with his development.

this concludes my armchair analysis

I have no doubt that Jordan Schroeder will make the team to start the season and I feel like he'll surprise a lot of people/doubters. I expect him to play the Cody Hodgson role of last season, before he got traded, and do just as well if not better.

I feel that people tend to focus on his size as a deterent from him being a NHL player but forget that in his draft year, many people believed his skillset was that of a top 5 pick. This kid has some real dynamic skill that can translate to the NHL. He has been developed properly the last 2 years in the AHL and has learned to play a reliable 2 way game.

Our team severely lacks playmakers outside of the Sedin twins and one of his strongest assets is his vision and passing abilities. I think you'll see him on the 2nd unit PP much like Hodgson and be effective.

I think in terms of skillsets, he is on par with a guy like Cody Hodgson. But he is a much stronger skater in all facets.

Tons of small players in the NHL have been successful. No reason why Schroeder can't if given a fair shake.

He had a good year in the AHL, I'd maybe give him a few games in the NHL to see how he handles that. But we don't need him right now anyway and I think if you can't excel in the AHL, what chance do you have in a league offers the best players in the world?

I admire the positivity of the OP though I had to plus the post under it.

Schroeder is nothing like Hodgson in style so I don't see how he would "play the Cody Hodgson role" other than play centre which is what he is.

Schroeder does not control the play like a centre, in fact he plays more like a winger. He is fast and often direct but doesn't have Hodgson's shot. Hodgson is also light years ahead of Schroeder on the boards.

Don't get me wrong I think we need to give him a chance as it's the only way to see what he's got with good players around him.

One of the things I like about Schoeder is how he is likely to eventually bring Sweatt with him.

Archived