The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of ppl this year

Jordan Schroeder

Finally,somebody with common sense.

Thank you.

Cody excelled despite being dirt bagged.

That poor Mr. Gillis having to work to make a trade.

What's Gillis' salary again and how much was it the Canucks responsibility in the whole Cody Hodgson saga that blew up in their faces?

Yeah,opening up Vancouver's free agent market by throwing players under the bus after you discard them.

Smooth move,Exlax.

I Have a big problem with the supposed "showcase for him to get move" as per MG's comments on Cody Hodgson, fact is a lot of people are eating whatever Mike Gillis's is cooking simply because he said that. What strategy exactly was the team doing. Major fact is that Gillis threw Hodgson under the bus to justify the trade which blew up in his face. We can thank AV for that one

1) Who were Hodgsons linemates exactly? Im sorry but showing him off to get traded playing on the 3rd line, around 10 mins of ice time isn't exactly bloating up his stats. Hodgson performed and exceeded expectations, not because of his situation, but because he was that talented. When the opposing 4th line ices the puck..who hops over the boards? Tell you what it wasn't Cody. The kid had almost 30-45 seconds worth of PP time and he excelled, wasn't his fault he produced. If they wanted to show him off, he should've been riding shotgun with the Sedins which brings me to my next point...

2) Hodson had 4-5 shifts with the Sedin line all season. The only time they placed him there was shift after the PK because Burrows is a part of that unit. Bryon Bitz whos an absolute nobody but is 6'5 and gets 2 WHOLE games with the Sedins. Let me get this straight...your gonna give a 4th scrub who probably wont amount to anything in this league 2 games playing with the 2 best players in the team, and you won't give the future cornerstone player of this team a game?

3) Cody Hodgson doesn't take defensive draws. Why should he? we got 3 upper echelon faceoff men playing in front of him in Malhotra Kesler and Henrik Sedin, not to mention a more than decent Lapierre. Hes basically 5th in the pecking order..why bother putting a rookie there to take that much defensive responsibility

4) Youtube Cody's goals against Chicago and Detroit ...take a look who was on the ice against his line. Lidstrom, Keith, Seabrook, wow they sure put him in a real position succeed considering he scored against a number 1 pairing,

5) hmm i found this line interesting from MG, something in the lines of .."we put him in a position to succeed" funny..THATS YOUR JOB. Thats a prerequiste of AV or anhybody being a coach, you put your players in the best possible position to succeed

Fact is management had to hide their blunder with this trade, justify it with meaningless reasons. The coach was to blame for this, and frankly the teams reputation has already been soured with the recent Mikael samuellson comments Its funny how AV preaches accountability with this team and yet doesn't hold himself accountable when he makes a mistake on Hodgsons back problems.

Hodgson got to play with Higgins....who was by in large, probably one of the best canuck forwards all season.

Look at the results yourself....at one point, Hodgson was -11 in Buffalo.

True there is no reasoning to letting Hodgson take defensive draws, but there is no question AV had to hide Hodgson against the other teams top forwards.

I think the extent to which Hodgson is relevant in discussion is ONLY in relation to how a rookie was able to make a meaningful contribution to the team, which we haven't had in a while.

I agree Hodgson was a good player, but maybe not the best fit with the team. Hodgson is such a polarizing figure among the Canucks fanbase - let's not get distracted from the discussion at hand: Jordan Schroeder.

He has great pedigree, always playing a level higher than his age. He may have left University too soon in hindsight, but he progressed a lot in other areas of the game to make him a more of a complete player.

Pros: Excellent speed, great hands, great vision, good defensively.

Cons: Size. Questions about his strength (also related to size I guess).

I've only watched a little bit of Schroeder but I think he is going to have a Hodgson-like effect, in that he will be a meaningful contribution for a rookie. It's not like we "relied" on Hodgson to carry the team. We don't need a savior rookie. I think with so many people having low expectations with Schroeder, he may be a pleasant surprise.

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian? Good Power Forwards with skill and speed?

Booth - Schroeder - Raymond? Speedy two-way guys.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Volpatti

I'm optimistic about these lines. Good balance of speed, size and skill.

Hodgson in no way compliments the sedins. Alex Burrows compliments them by adding speed, grit, and determination. Bitz is a big body who can create space for the sedins, something that has been proven to be effective in the past. Theres alot more logic to letting bitz play with the sedins than Hodgson. (Other than the fact that Hodgson is a natural centre and would excel at the centre position) Besides....they werent going to sacrifice winning games by going that far just to build up Hodgson.

Hodgson got to play with Higgins....who was by in large, probably one of the best canuck forwards all season.

Look at the results yourself....at one point, Hodgson was -11 in Buffalo. It was only because of a few blow outs where hodgson managed to up his stats to 8/20, and -7. And that was only in the East. Could you imagine if Hodgson had to face Kopitar/Richards, Thornton/Marleau, Zetterberg/Datsyuk, Toews/Sharp, Getzlaf?

True there is no reasoning to letting Hodgson take defensive draws, but there is no question AV had to hide Hodgson against the other teams top forwards.

I think the extent to which Hodgson is relevant in discussion is ONLY in relation to how a rookie was able to make a meaningful contribution to the team, which we haven't had in a while.

I agree Hodgson was a good player, but maybe not the best fit with the team. Hodgson is such a polarizing figure among the Canucks fanbase - let's not get distracted from the discussion at hand: Jordan Schroeder.

He has great pedigree, always playing a level higher than his age. He may have left University too soon in hindsight, but he progressed a lot in other areas of the game to make him a more of a complete player.

Pros: Excellent speed, great hands, great vision, good defensively.

Cons: Size. Questions about his strength (also related to size I guess).

I've only watched a little bit of Schroeder but I think he is going to have a Hodgson-like effect, in that he will be a meaningful contribution for a rookie. It's not like we "relied" on Hodgson to carry the team. We don't need a savior rookie. I think with so many people having low expectations with Schroeder, he may be a pleasant surprise.

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian? Good Power Forwards with skill and speed?

Booth - Schroeder - Raymond? Speedy two-way guys.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Volpatti

I'm optimistic about these lines. Good balance of speed, size and skill.

Jordan is a first round pick who has had his ups and downs. Right now he has been on an upswing , chiefly due to Craig Mc Tavish.

He does not have the ice vision nor wicked shot that Cody has, but he is fast -even by NHL standards- and strong as a little pit bull.

I hope he can become a grittier Cliff Ronning if possible. (I guess i am asking for a lot though)

Jordan is a first round pick who has had his ups and downs. Right now he has been on an upswing , chiefly due to Craig Mc Tavish.

He does not have the ice vision nor wicked shot that Cody has, but he is fast -even by NHL standards- and strong as a little pit bull.

I hope he can become a grittier Cliff Ronning if possible. (I guess i am asking for a lot though)

Can't wait to see Canuck fans drool all over him.

Same things were said about Coho... Canucks use him in a roll like Coho was after Kesler gets back I can see him being solid and useful on the 3rd line. His speed with Hansen and Higgins would be something I want this season.

I am quite hopeful that Schroeder will make the team within the next couple of years. He is a strong, quick footed and competetive player. He is stronger on the puck than many other so called bigger players. This team really needs some of the young guys joining the older core players. Without them, the future looks bleak.

Have you guys actually seen this kid play? It sounds to me like there are a lot of people on here relying solely on stats to determine someones worth. If you watch you can definitely see that last year was spent polishing his defensive game. MacT seemed to want to use him in a defensive role, probably because he wanted that aspect of his game cleaned up. Maybe this was at the request of AV or GMMG but I'm speculating.

Either case, I strongly believe by the defensive draws and situations he was on the ice for, last year was spent beefing up his defensive game and sacrificing his offensive numbers. For those of you just looking at point stats to determine if he makes a good NHLer, maybe you should spend some time watching hockey instead of just looking at numbers. To make it in the NHL, you need to be solid defensively as well and I think that's what they were trying to achieve with him last year.

A lot of coaches in the minors work with this same approach when they already know that the offensive skills are there. That's why you see a lot of offensively gifted players in the minors have subpar point production for a season or two. It also serves to curb the ego and learn to put the team first. You won't get the individual recognition when you spend the season focusing on the defensive side of the game but you help you team.

That was my issue with Cody, he seemed so concerned with offense that his defensive game struggled. Cody on the Moose was placed in offensive situations and then when he made the club, they had to give him those same type of minutes. Maybe they do not want to make the same development mistake with JS.

Archived