The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Which Canucks Defenseman Do YOU Think Will...

Who Will Get The:  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A.) lead in points, B.) lead in penalty minutes, and C.) lead with the best +/- rating D.) lead in goals E.) lead in assists

....The Canucks have a really stacked defense heading into the season, at least the top 5, and with each defenseman being legitimate top 4 dmen, I'd like to know what you, the fans, think of which dman will lead in each of the 3 category's listed above.

In my opinion, +/- rating seems like the easiest to answer - I go with Hamhuis or Garrison. Penalty minutes seems pretty easy but tough with Bieksa and Ballard - I go with Juice Ballard; healthy season, he'll get a ton of them. But the real question, who will lead in points? Bieksa had 44 last season, Hamhuis 37, Edler 49, Garrison 33, Ballard 7 but was injured...last 'healthy' season he played he put up 28. As you can see, its real tight in that category so I was just wanting to know what Nucks Nation thinks of it - I personally go Bieksa cause the thrives off Hamhuis and is a good offensive player. *Added* Most goals, tough between Edler and Garrison - I gotta go Garrison though...heck, the Sedin's setting him up on the PP = bombs = goals. For assists, I'm going Juice. Cheers :)

I hope Ballard can show us signs of that same player from the LA series, making good choices in his own end, making good plays in the neutral zone, and not looking lost with the puck on his stick. I hope he can get his scoring touch back from his years in florida and Phoenix

Points: If Garrison has been brought in the hopes that he replicates the numbers he got in Florida, then he is going to get a lot of time on the first unit power play. He will also be out when the Sedins are on the ice in even strength situations. Assuming he does produce, he should win with Edler a close second.

Penalties: Bieksa for penalties, but "good" ones.

Plus/minus: If Garrison does play lots on the first unit power play, or is otherwise on the ice when the Sedins are out, I can see him leading in the +/- stat as well as points. He'll get the point boost which Erhroff enjoyed while he was here, he'll be partnered with Edler (likely), and Garrison is also sound defensively (from what I've seen and read), something that Erhroff is not.

regards,

G.

Points: If Garrison has been brought in the hopes that he replicates the numbers he got in Florida, then he is going to get a lot of time on the first unit power play. He will also be out when the Sedins are on the ice in even strength situations. Assuming he does produce, he should win with Edler a close second.

Penalties: Bieksa for penalties, but "good" ones.

Plus/minus: If Garrison does play lots on the first unit power play, or is otherwise on the ice when the Sedins are out, I can see him leading in the +/- stat as well as points. He'll get the point boost which Erhroff enjoyed while he was here, he'll be partnered with Edler (likely), and Garrison is also sound defensively (from what I've seen and read), something that Erhroff is not.

regards,

G.

Team Ballard up with Garrison and give Bieksa time with Tanev.

Tanev can cover for Bieksa's defensive lapses and on the third pairing it will give Juice enough time to sit and figure out what it is he was given the big payday to do.

Come playoff time he could be a huge factor if playing with his edge again.

I think Bieksa will have a HUGE season, Hamhuis will continue to be quietly excellent, Garrison will be solid but unspectacular, Ballard will have his best season as a Canuck, and Edler will struggle. Tanev will fail to make notable progress and will platoon with Alberts depending whether the opponent is a "physical" team. There will be several minor blueline injuries but nothing season-ending or major-surgery-requiring.

Archived