The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Television Performances of the 2000s

G.K. Chesterton

I have been watching Lost again and I have been as much impressed with Michael Emerson's performance as Benjamin Linus as I was the first time. That got me thinking that the 2000s have had their fair share of fantastic television performances by highly talented actors and actresses. Of course, there are many genres of television programs, but I am going to focus on dramatic performances. So here is my top five - what are yours?

5) Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman (2008-2013)

breaking-bad-jesse.jpg

4) Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer (2001-2010)

Jack_Bauer_Season_5.jpg

3) Bryan Cranston as Walter White (2008-2013)

heisenberg.jpg

2) Robert Knepper as Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell (2005-2009)

416249-tbag.jpg

1) Michael Emerson as Benjamin Linus (2004-2010)

LOSTBenLinusEyes.jpg

5) Steve Carrell as Michael Scott (The Office)

4) Peter Dinklage as Tyrion (Game of Thrones)

3) Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman (Breaking Bad)

2) Bryan Cranston as Walter White (Breaking Bad)

1) Jon Hamm as Don Draper (Mad Men)

Honourable mentions:

- Michael C. Hall as Dexter (Dexter)

- Jim Parsons as Sheldon (Big Bang Theory)

- Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy (Modern Family)

1. Tony Soprano - The Sopranos

2. Walter White - Breaking Bad

3. Ari Gold - Entourage

4. GOB Bluth - Arrested Development

5. Christopher Moltisanti - The Sopranos

6. Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

7. Omar Little - The Wire

8. Al Swearengen - Deadwood

9. Michael Scott - The Office

10. Jimmy McNulty - The Wire

Honourable mentions:

Dexter Morgan (Dexter), Tobias Funke (Arrested Development), Stringer Bell (The Wire), Nate Fisher (Six Feet Under), Dwight Schrute (The Office), Seth Cohen (The O.C., gonna take a lot of heat for that one but he was hilarious), Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Tyrion (Game of Thrones)

I'm also going to include one guest performance, as he is worthy of being on the list. In no particular order:

Bryan Cranston - Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Michael C. Hall - Dexter Morgan (Dexter)

John Lithgow - Arthur Miller "Trinity Killer" (Dexter)

Glenn Close - Patty Hewes (Damages)

Ricky Gervais - David Brent (The Office)

Hmmm #1 is Benjamin Linus?

Throughout the show, Benjamin Linus has been a deceiving, cynical, and relentless SOB, with traces of humanity only when serving his own purpose and indulgence.

Contrast with the last season of the show, where he was a more graceful, heart warming, mentoring teacher, the problem is found here. Acting wise, he was the same!

His performance on the show of 'Lost' is rather static to me, and did not really shine over the dynamic Jack Shepherd and Sawyer, whom had much more difficult roles.

But I suppose, as one of the main villains of the show, Benjamin Linus struck a chord to its audience and really made us hate him. Good acting? Yes. Dynamic and capturing acting? Not really.

Hmmm #1 is Benjamin Linus?

Throughout the show, Benjamin Linus has been a deceiving, cynical, and relentless SOB, with traces of humanity only when serving his own purpose and indulgence.

Contrast with the last season of the show, where he was a more graceful, heart warming, mentoring teacher, the problem is found here. Acting wise, he was the same!

His performance on the show of 'Lost' is rather static to me, and did not really shine over the dynamic Jack Shepherd and Sawyer, whom had much more difficult roles.

But I suppose, as one of the main villains of the show, Benjamin Linus struck a chord to its audience and really made us hate him. Good acting? Yes. Dynamic and capturing acting? Not really.

Archived