The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olympics related: Boy offers soccer medal to Canadian sprinters as compensation

Dazzle

Boy offers soccer medal to Canadian sprinters denied Bronze

F2D982E3E8AFF92E9908CD35AB7_h242_w194_m2_q80_cYlWATLHv.jpg

A Newfoundland boy is receiving national attention for giving a medal he won playing soccer to Canadian athletes who were denied a bronze medal at the summer games in London.

Elijah Porter, 10, reached out to the men's 4 x 100 metre running relay team after it was disqualified when one of its members runner stepped out of bounds.

Porter, who lives in Paradise, near St. John's, wrote the team a letter saying they were good athletes and what happened to them was wrong.

"I decided that even though I can't change the rules I can make them feel better. So I decided to send my soccer medal and a note that started with talking about everything that's good about Canada," he told CBC.

It was his only medal.

"Im not much of a sports boy but when I was younger I was doing a little soccer thing in Mount Pearl," said Porter.

Yesterday, one of the Canadian sprinters, Justyn Warner, tweeted a photo of Porter’s letter. Since then, the story has caught fire on Twitter and Facebook.

Yeah man, that letter was tip top.

"We're Canadians.....We create better lives for each other.....We didn't lose the War of 1812.....We have earned our freedom...":

That was patriotic, poignant, hilarious and heartwarming.

Kid should be a speechwriter if he decides not to become a biologist.

Technically... the battle of 1812 involves British people - not Canadians. Canada wasn't "officially" formed until 1867.

But I guess one would have to ask if those people felt they were loyal to Canada or Britain. Chances are, it was the latter rather than the former. :P

Archived