The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Personally, I would love to see a tight end taken with 1 of the first 2 picks, and a DE/OLB hybrid with the other of the first 2 picks.

The Patriots need a play making tight end to take attention of tacklers off of Gronk. When Hernandez and Welker were here, defenses couldn't have 4-5 guys tackling Gronk every time he caught the ball cause they were stretched across the field by Hernandez and Welker. Not only did this decrease the chance of injury dramatically, but it allowed Gronk to manhandle guys.

Last year, with no other legitimate threat besides Gronk when he returned, teams had 4-5-6 guys tackling him on every play. I know the play that injured him was just 1 guy diving at his knees (and had Gronk had taken off with his other foot at the line of scrimmage, his weight would have been on the leg that didn't get hit by TJ Ward and he wouldn't of gotten injured) but we need to distract defenders.

2 tight ends that I would love to see in a Pats uni are:

1. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech.

2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington.

Too bad Eric Ebron will be gone way before the Pats get to their pick.

2 DE/OLB's I want the Pats to draft are:

1. Kony Ealy out of Missouri. Dude is a beast at disrupting a QB's pocket.

2. CJ Mosley out of Alabama. Bill loves Bama LB's, and just like Hightower did in his time, Mosley carried the Tide.

Any 2 of those 4 with the first 2 picks and I'll be a happy, happy man.

would you trade up for Eric Ebron, assuming that means either giving up your second and possibly a 4th or first next year. He's going around 9 or 10 in most mock drafts so you would have to give up alot to move up.

would you trade up for Eric Ebron, assuming that means either giving up your second and possibly a 4th or first next year. He's going around 9 or 10 in most mock drafts so you would have to give up alot to move up.

I wouldn't. Amaro is slightly bigger, equally as fast, and both played more flex tight end than on the line. Thus, them both being big, fast, catching tight ends, I would much rather add a dynamic pass rusher to compliment Chandler Jones and Ninkovich in addition to a receiving tight end, rather than just get the receiving tight end and no significant help on defense. Hoomanawanui and Gronk are both excellent blockers as well, so our tight end pick doesn't necessarily need to be a great blocker (neither Ebron or Amaro are)

Patriots schedule released along with all other teams. Another easy schedule. I don't mind, people always complain, but I honestly don't like it...we get screwed in the playoffs due to it with the weaker competition. If I was part of management and knowing how good the Pats are, I'd want the toughest opponent possible tbh.

Week 1- at Miami [W]

Week 2- at Minnesota [W]

Week 3- vs Raiders [W]

Week 4- at Kansas City [W]

Week 5- vs Cincinnati [W/L ...Bengals always seems to give a tough fight so this is a tossup]

Week 6- at Buffalo [W]

Week 7- vs New York [W]

Week 8- vs Chicago [W/L]

Week 9- vs Denver [W/L]

Week 10- Bye

Week 11- at Indianapolis [W]

Week 12- vs Detroit [W]

Week 13- at Green Bay [W/L]

Week 14- at San Diego [W]

Week 15- vs Miami [W]

Week 16- at New York [W]

Week 17- vs. Buffalo [W]

Pats basically have a realistic shot at beating every team (perfect season? :bigblush: [:(]) but likely will go 12-4 / 13-3, in that range.

Not so much an easy schedule as a weak division. KC, Indy, and San Diego also aren't guaranteed wins IMO.

Saints schedule looks okay. Some tough stretches late in the season. Not a fan of the earlier bye. Prefer it to be later in the season.

Also don't like that we have Sunday night football vs GB and then a Thursday road game at Carolina. Tough games. Think it's our third straight year on the road Thursday night.

Edited by Madness

I am the only one that finds it strange that the Seahawks broke this news? I'd be bit weirded out by that, what does his relationship life have to do with him playing football. Just doesn't seem like something to me that your team should be anouncing, leave that crap for tmz

It was a statement from Russell about the situation being a personal matter and that he wouldn't be commenting any further on it. Basically tmz can pound sand.

The more football the better. I want games Friday and Saturday too but I understand the NFL has a long standing, possibly unwritten, agreement with high school and college football preventing that from happening.

From a fan's perspective, they're great. However, it's way too hard on the players, and can screw some teams over.

A friend of mine who has been 10+ years season ticket holder sent me a text last night that the divorce is related to his wife cheating on Russell with a player on the team or more than 1, and 1 front office executive.

He sent me a 2nd text saying that an unnamed (at the time, maybe it's released now)front office guy resigned last night shortly after the team announced the divorce and that there's a year to mend fences between the players that were involved and Wilson or he's leaving town when he hits FA.

All speculation, of course.

Omg your Adam schefter

But I also heard a similar story about Steve downie and he had an affair with varlamovs wife and that's what caused him to beat/kid nap her and that's why Colorado traded him.

Both stories are probally not true haha

Edited by Tony Romo

Not so much an easy schedule as a weak division. KC, Indy, and San Diego also aren't guaranteed wins IMO.

Agreed, especially because they're all road games as well.

I really hope some team surprises and beats the Pats for the division this year. Not because I have anything against them (although they aren't my favorite), but because I love the parity in the NFL from a year to year basis and there would be nothing more shocking than the Patriots not winning their division.

Agreed, especially because they're all road games as well.

I really hope some team surprises and beats the Pats for the division this year. Not because I have anything against them (although they aren't my favorite), but because I love the parity in the NFL from a year to year basis and there would be nothing more shocking than the Patriots not winning their division.

Well there was that one year where we went 11-5 and we missed the playoffs and was 2nd in our division...

Seattle extends Earl Thomas 4 years $40 mill with $27 or so guaranteed. Highest paid safety, deserves it. Stud player.

Wow thats huge, and everyone thought Weddles contract was crazy for a safety, and he got 40 over 5 years! Thomas deserves it, couple that with Shermans new contract, that reportly is well above Revis' contract, and Wilsons contract, Seattle is going to be crippled by the cap,well atleast they snuck that 1 sb win before that happens

Wow thats huge, and everyone thought Weddles contract was crazy for a safety, and he got 40 over 5 years! Thomas deserves it, couple that with Shermans new contract, that reportly is well above Revis' contract, and Wilsons contract, Seattle is going to be crippled by the cap,well atleast they snuck that 1 sb win before that happens

At least the Hawks won a championship before players hit free agency. Now that they won, won't be as much pressure to keep on winning. Their team will be dismantled in the next few years due to finances though which happens to most teams (they'll give good money to 4-8 good players they value highly, lowball the others and most of them will sign elsewhere). It's hard keeping everything in tact with such a good, young team but like I said, at least they won so it's not as big a problem that it could've been had they not won.

• Upvote 1

At least the Hawks won a championship before players hit free agency. Now that they won, won't be as much pressure to keep on winning. Their team will be dismantled in the next few years due to finances though which happens to most teams (they'll give good money to 4-8 good players they value highly, lowball the others and most of them will sign elsewhere). It's hard keeping everything in tact with such a good, young team but like I said, at least they won so it's not as big a problem that it could've been had they not won.

Well yeah exactly, its just going to be a disappointment for all those fans already claiming a dynasty, but those fans also annoy me so I dont really care haha

Edited by pdc

With only 5 days remaining until the NFL draft I figured I may as well post my own mock draft. Feel free to voice your opinions on how I did with your favourite team and post your own if you feel like it. Would enjoy seeing how others believe this draft will go.

For the purpose of making this more straight forward I will assume no trades will occur and the draft order will stay as is.

1) Houston Texans - DE Jadeveon Clowney

2) St. Louis Rams - WR Sammy Watkins

3) Jacksonville Jaguars - OLB/DE Khalil Mack

4) Cleveland Browns - QB Johnny Manziel

5) Oakland Raiders - OT Greg Robinson

6) Atlanta Falcons - OT Jake Matthews

7) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WR Mike Evans

8) Minnesota Vikings - QB Blake Bortles

9) Buffalo Bills - OT Taylor Lewan

10) Detroit Lions - OLB/DE Anthony Barr

11) Tennessee Titans - QB Teddy Bridgewater

12) New York Giants - TE Eric Ebron

13) St. Louis Rams - S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

14) Chicago Bears - CB Justin Gilbert

15) Pittsburgh Steelers - CB Darqueze Dennard

16) Dallas Cowboys - DT Aaron Donald

17) Baltimore Ravens - OT/G Zack Martin

18) New York Jets - WR Odell Beckham Jr.

19) Miami Dolphins - OT Morgan Moses

20) Arizona Cardinals - OLB Ryan Shazier

21) Green Bay Packers - S Calvin Pryor

22) Philadelphia Eagles - WR Brandin Cooks

23) Kansas City Chiefs - G Xavier Sua-Filo

24) Cincinnati Bengals - CB Kyle Fuller

25) San Diego Chargers - CB Jason Verrett

26) Cleveland Browns - WR Marquise Lee

27) New Orleans Saints - OLB/DE Dee Ford

28) Carolina Panthers - WR Cody Latimer

29) New England Patriots - DT Ra'Shede Hageman

30) San Francisco 49ers - DE Kony Ealy