The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The system was built by Brady, not Brady inherited a "Patriots system" that any QB could have stepped into. 

Prior to the acquisition of Wes Welker, there wasn't much of a system. We had a stout defense led by the best LB core and a great secondary, so Brady was able to make chicken soup out of chicken sh*t with guys like Caldwell and Branch as his #1 receiver and random backs like Maroney (with the exception of Corey Dillon and Faulk and really early on Smith). It was the emergence of Welker and introducing to the NFL a slot receiver as the "#1 receiver" that Brady and McDaniel's built the system around that is still currently used (and why when Bill O'Brien replaced McDaniels, nothing changed). 

Matt Cassel barely threw for over 3500 yards, 21TD and 11 INTs in the system Brady threw for 50 touchdowns the year prior, and 4400yards/28TDs the year after coming off ACL surgery.

So to answer your question: It's a HUGE advantage for Brady to play in and master the system he created. Under Weis, it was a run heavy with Smith and Dillon offense, and McDaniels' first 2 years as the O-Coordinator he had guys like Branch, Givens, Brown, Caldwell to work with lol. 

I seem to remember Drew Bledsoe was a decent qb and Belichick has his finger prints over everything from a long time not just the defence.

I believe other qbs could have done what Brady did. I still think A Rod is the prototype qb going forward and not the Manning's, Brady's or Brees types.

You have to be able to make plays off schedule when the pocket breaks down.

• Cheers 1

On 1/5/2018 at 8:26 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Loooooooooooooooool. :lol:

Can't believe that Seth guy got paid real money by ESPN for reaching the 5000 word limit. 

If I had known that all it takes is a bunch of unnamed "staffers" and unnamed "Belichick's friends" to write a "bombshell news story", I'd be working in the media right now. Man, the money I could make making things up about Bo Horvat citing "unnamed Canucks staffers" and "Travis Green's unnamed close friends" .. I'm sure the costco hotdog lady would make for a great source.

The only think close to the truth in that article was the Alex Guerrero situation, which happened in August of 2017 and only was discovered by the media last month. 

Paying Jimmy G 18 mill a year for 4 years to be a back up? :lol: Any coach should be let go for offering a back up that much of your cap % (Even though no contracts were ever proposed to Jimmy G according to writers who actually work the Pats beat)

Don Yee, Tom Brady’s agent: “I don't really know what to say - it's tough to have a response since it didn't appear to me to have one on-the-record quote. All I can suggest is don't believe everything you read.”

Who needs on the record quotes when you can just make up as many unnamed cited sources as you need to hit the word count?

I think that Belicheck wanted Garoppolo as his starting QB after this season. There is nobody but Tom Brady who believes he can continue to play at this level at his age. I did not want Garoppolo traded but Tom Brady is just not showing decline. How can you cut or trade away, arguably, the best QB ever when he is still playing at an elite level? I believe that Tom Brady feels like he has earned the right to play until he loses it. Belicheck I don't think sees it that way. He sees a 40 year old QB and a young stud QB with a decade or more to go in his career. If this is any other player that vet is getting traded. I think Belichick is fair, touch coach who doesn't favour any player. Now he is being forced to favour Brady. I think there is definitely a rift here. 

It also could be that Belichick was getting ready to retire and he was going to step aside handing off the team in great shape and now if Tom Brady retires or can't play next year and Belichick wants to hang them up the team looks awful.

Edited by peaches5

13 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I seem to remember Drew Bledsoe was a decent qb and Belichick has his finger prints over everything from a long time not just the defence.

I believe other qbs could have done what Brady did. I still think A Rod is the prototype qb going forward and not the Manning's, Brady's or Brees types.

You have to be able to make plays off schedule when the pocket breaks down.

Bledsoe can't hold Brady's jock. Dude kept his yardage under 4000 per season and was hard pressed to throw less than 15 picks a season.

If you think a 19-21 or 17-13 TD/INT ratio and a 5-11 record is "thriving in Belichick's system", then all the power to you. 

Other QBs probably could have had the winning record Brady did, like Cassels 11-5 record, but it would have been despite the QB play, not because of the QB play, just like the 2008 season had absolutely nothing to do with Cassels play. 

13 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I think that Belicheck wanted Garoppolo as his starting QB after this season. There is nobody but Tom Brady who believes he can continue to play at this level at his age. I did not want Garoppolo traded but Tom Brady is just not showing decline. How can you cut or trade away, arguably, the best QB ever when he is still playing at an elite level? I believe that Tom Brady feels like he has earned the right to play until he loses it. Belicheck I don't think sees it that way. He sees a 40 year old QB and a young stud QB with a decade or more to go in his career. If this is any other player that vet is getting traded. I think Belichick is fair, touch coach who doesn't favour any player. Now he is being forced to favour Brady. I think there is definitely a rift here. 

It also could be that Belichick was getting ready to retire and he was going to step aside handing off the team in great shape and now if Tom Brady retires or can't play next year and Belichick wants to hang them up the team looks awful.

I fully agree. Belichick like his dad, and wanting to set an example for his sons who are on the staff, does not see star players as above other players. He definitely wanted his legacy to be coaching a 18 year dynasty and transitioning into another 10-15 years (Garropolo's career) of dominance. Though, he still could have that. I don't know why people are acting like Jimmy G is the only good QB who will ever come into the league. Could easily grab a guy this draft or next. 

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Bledsoe can't hold Brady's jock. Dude kept his yardage under 4000 per season and was hard pressed to throw less than 15 picks a season.

If you think a 19-21 or 17-13 TD/INT ratio and a 5-11 record is "thriving in Belichick's system", then all the power to you. 

Other QBs probably could have had the winning record Brady did, like Cassels 11-5 record, but it would have been despite the QB play, not because of the QB play, just like the 2008 season had absolutely nothing to do with Cassels play. 

He and Parcells were the reason I became a Patriots fan, that and the jerseys. 

1994: 4500 yards on 691 pass attempts in a era when everyone was running the ball, the patriots were setting league records for pass attempts(they needed a better QB to set the rest of the passing records lol),  I'll leave out the 27 picks Drew threw that year(+ 9 fumbles).  But tell people your a pats fan and it's all "Shut up Brady f4nboi"

On 1/7/2018 at 1:25 PM, gmen81 said:

Well we were gonna have to beat New England eventually if we wanted to make it to the Super Bowl, might as well get it out of the way now. Heard Pats by 14 is the opening line which is not surprising. I think 99.8% of the people are gonna pick the Pats to win. If the 2nd half Titans from yesterday's game shows up they can keep this competitive. Again going in with even lower expectations then last nights game, but Any Given Sunday(Saturday). 

Good luck @NucksPatsFan @Apple Juice @Tre Mac And whoever else I'm forgetting. 

That line is gonna drop the closer it is to Saturday. It definitely won't be that big of a blowout for sure. I'm thinking Patriots will win by one score. Won't be as big of a blowout as it seems. These aren't the Titans of the past in which we obliterated.

7 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

Was watching the rundown on barstool sports and Dave Portnoy says the Pats shouldn't risk playing Gronk and save him for the AFCCG. 

Stuff like that just makes me want the Titans to somehow pull it off more then anything. 

Titans got this. Adoree taking a couple kicks back. 

1 hour ago, gmen81 said:

Was watching the rundown on barstool sports and Dave Portnoy says the Pats shouldn't risk playing Gronk and save him for the AFCCG. 

Stuff like that just makes me want the Titans to somehow pull it off more then anything. 

Ha, I understand but to be fair Portnoy is not associated with the Pats. There's no way Belichik is taking the Titans lightly and that'll trickle down to every player on the team, even the long snapper and he's cocky af(kidding).

2 hours ago, gmen81 said:

I think Pats will crush em but maybe Mariota steps up?? Let's pray lol

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/10/sources-darrell-bevell-fired-as-seahawks-offensive-coordinator-after-seven-seasons/

The Seattle Seahawks have parted ways with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell after seven seasons, sources tell PFT.

Bevell was told of the decision Tuesday night according to a source informed of the decision. The Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time since Bevell’s first year in Seattle in 2011.

7 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

And as per twitter Ian Rapoport is saying that they fired Cable too, it’s a good day to be a seahawks fan!  

As soon as Bevell was fired I thought "next up: Cable promoted to OC". This quashes that.

21 hours ago, Green Building said:

As soon as Bevell was fired I thought "next up: Cable promoted to OC". This quashes that.

Brian Schottenheimer isn't going to be any better than Bevell or Cable - rumor is Seattle is interested :lol: I hope for the 12's sake, Schottenheimer fails his interview